Food & Drink

the scotch thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2021 11:15 am
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: Is there anything good that comes in smaller bottles?
Glenfiddich 12 comes in a 375ml "mickey". Price point though, meh. Might as well get the full bottle.

I am passing on the McClelland's based on the quick review here. I had a little bit of a pickle trying to convince a relative to splurge for the single malt instead of what he thought a splurge was to get Johnny Walker Black. Ended up with a bottle of Glen 12 and he was blown away.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
slowtyper wrote: Is there anything good that comes in smaller bottles?
When I'm going for a cheaper scotch I've been drinking some Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. I've seen it come in 375ml.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have run into a problem that is now coming to a point where I MUST address it. I am finishing off my current Scotch supply.

I had quite a few bottles of Laphroaig -- 10 year and The 1815. I am currently drinking my Bruichladich Octomore 8.2. In between, I also drank a couple bottles of Suntory Hibiki Harmony.

In any case, I want to look at buying something to drink after my Octomore is done. I LOVE how peaty this is...To those who don't like the peat, it is like asphalt, cigarette ash tray or turpentine. To people like me who love it...it is indescribable. So my question here is....

Is it possible to buy Octomore in Ontario? LCBO does not sell it.

if not...what is a good suggestion for a whisky that is as peaty as the Octomore 8.2? I don't think I can go backwards...and I really think that is the problem of drinking good stuff...you can never go back to the cheap stuff again.

Anyway...looking for suggestions. Budget wise is in the $150 to $250 range. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
toram23901 wrote: I have run into a problem that is now coming to a point where I MUST address it. I am finishing off my current Scotch supply.

I had quite a few bottles of Laphroaig -- 10 year and The 1815. I am currently drinking my Bruichladich Octomore 8.2. In between, I also drank a couple bottles of Suntory Hibiki Harmony.

In any case, I want to look at buying something to drink after my Octomore is done. I LOVE how peaty this is...To those who don't like the peat, it is like asphalt, cigarette ash tray or turpentine. To people like me who love it...it is indescribable. So my question here is....

Is it possible to buy Octomore in Ontario? LCBO does not sell it.

if not...what is a good suggestion for a whisky that is as peaty as the Octomore 8.2? I don't think I can go backwards...and I really think that is the problem of drinking good stuff...you can never go back to the cheap stuff again.

Anyway...looking for suggestions. Budget wise is in the $150 to $250 range. Thanks.
I might be wrong, but I remember seeing a chart of peat ppms and Octomore is the highest of all peated scotches.

It's possible to get them shipped from Alberta for a price (let's not discuss this here but read in-between lines). I see both zyn.ca and craftcellers.ca have Octomore 11.X's in stock at the high part of your price range.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Apr 1, 2016
238 posts
389 upvotes
No Frills wrote: I might be wrong, but I remember seeing a chart of peat ppms and Octomore is the highest of all peated scotches.

It's possible to get them shipped from Alberta for a price (let's not discuss this here but read in-between lines). I see both zyn.ca and craftcellers.ca have Octomore 11.X's in stock at the high part of your price range.
No longer possible it seems.
https://www.reddit.com/r/canadawhisky/c ... _to_other/
However, for those living in the adjacent provinces of Alberta, namely BC and SK, the inter-provincials limits have been abolished recently. It was quite nice filling the back of the cab with boxes of relatively cheap single malt and wine while exploring southern Alberta for couple weeks this fall.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Rawbull wrote: No longer possible it seems.
However, for those living in the adjacent provinces of Alberta, namely BC and SK, the inter-provincials limits have been abolished recently. It was quite nice filling the back of the cab with boxes of relatively cheap single malt and wine while exploring southern Alberta for couple weeks this fall.
I'm in that reddit thread, as well as facebook groups. Keep on mind the date when it happened.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No Frills wrote: I might be wrong, but I remember seeing a chart of peat ppms and Octomore is the highest of all peated scotches.

Rawbull wrote: No longer possible it seems.
Wow...went from "YAY" down to "DAMN" so quickly.

I did see those Alberta sites with 11.x being sold. I was tempted to just click on it to check out the shipping costs at least...

So am I SOL for anything this peaty here in Ontario? It kind of sucks that way...
Jan 22, 2017
394 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
What is the best bang for buck Blended scotch? For reference, I enjoy JW Green Label.
Apr 1, 2016
238 posts
389 upvotes
No Frills wrote: I'm in that reddit thread, as well as facebook groups. Keep on mind the date when it happened.
Duly noted. I don't follow the situation that closely mostly receiving some info from the BIL in Ottawa. Anyways it's not like they put people in jail for trying, easy enough to inquire directly with these private companies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
spooky wrote: Lot 40 Dark Oak is now available from the distillery for shipping in Ontario:
https://www.jpwiserstour.ca/collections ... ian-whisky
All bottles ordered today will be signed by the master distiller Don Livermore.
Full release to LCBO will be January/February.
Sources tell me that it sold out 1hr and 5 mins before you made your post. It'll be available in LCBO in January.
Jun 6, 2016
134 posts
89 upvotes
Bumpity bump.

I see in the weekly new arrivals that Alberta Premium Cask Strength is coming in at SAQ. This was the Jim Murray Whiskey Bible WOTY last year. However, and I'll have to read into it to see if there are any major differences, these would be the "second batch" edition. The one that won the award last year was at 65.1% ABV, whereas the new arrivals are labeled at 66% ABV.

Anybody had a taste of it? Recommended or just hype?

I still have a couple of bottles of Lot 40 Cask Strength on tab (2018 edition) The stocks of Alberta Premium don't seem to be that limited yet (website has 500+ bottles in global inventory) but I'm guessing this will be the one stocking until a new edition comes in the future.

At $70, I'm probably gonna snag two bottles.
Aug 27, 2004
768 posts
198 upvotes
Cyberspace
ErBoProxy wrote: I see in the weekly new arrivals that Alberta Premium Cask Strength is coming in at SAQ. This was the Jim Murray Whiskey Bible WOTY last year. However, and I'll have to read into it to see if there are any major differences, these would be the "second batch" edition. The one that won the award last year was at 65.1% ABV, whereas the new arrivals are labeled at 66% ABV.

Anybody had a taste of it? Recommended or just hype?
This was a hard to get item in Calgary around Christmas but I have a daughter who works part-time at a liquor store who snagged a bottle for me.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I'm no fan of the regular Alberta Premium but I like this very much.
I'm kind of lowbrow when it comes to whiskeys so I can't comment other than I like it.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Aspiring Old Guy