Credit Cards

Scotia credit card pre-authorized payments from a non Scotia account?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2020 8:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3537 posts
316 upvotes

Scotia credit card pre-authorized payments from a non Scotia account?

I just wanted to verify what an agent said to me, I wanted to setup pre-authorized payments for my Scotia Momentum and they said you can only do that with a Scotia checking account.

I’ve never had that restriction from any other credit card, is that accurate that it has to come out of a Scotia account?
9 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
10700 posts
12987 upvotes
Vancouver
Not accurate. You can definitely do it. I used to have two Scotia credit cards and set up automatic payment of the full balance of each from my chequing account at a credit union. Setting it up requires an in-person visit to a branch, and Scotia employees are notoriously poorly trained on this. You might have to visit several branches before you encounter a properly trained employee who knows what to do.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2007
1313 posts
1479 upvotes
Remember the saying, Scotiabank: More visits required than you think!
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1.1%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive, forex), Amex SCP (2%, rest), Brim World Mastercard (1.5%, non-Amex spend)
Member
Oct 17, 2014
245 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joshnet wrote: Remember the saying, Scotiabank: More visits required than you think!
Not only visits to Scotiabank but potentially many visits to your external bank to reverse fraudulent charges to your account -- That what happened to me long after I paid off and closed my Scotia credit card -- Somebody at Scotia used my external banking info and kept withdrawing from my external bank account! Even my bank reversed all these transactions and returned the money to me, I'd never ever preauthorize any payment to Scotia credit card again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3537 posts
316 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Not accurate. You can definitely do it. I used to have two Scotia credit cards and set up automatic payment of the full balance of each from my chequing account at a credit union. Setting it up requires an in-person visit to a branch, and Scotia employees are notoriously poorly trained on this. You might have to visit several branches before you encounter a properly trained employee who knows what to do.
Effin Scotia, I’m still shocked every time I’ve been told to come in to a branch, it’s like banking in the 80s.

I have a large family and cash back is significant on our spending, will definitely be switching over to Meridian in November when Scotia pays out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8070 posts
8512 upvotes
The Prairies
milanoL wrote: I'd never ever preauthorize any payment to Scotia credit card again.
I’d never authorize any bank to pull funds from my bank account on an ongoing basis.
I’ve been doing things the old fashioned way for decades, and have not had a single late payment in my life.
Maybe when I’m old and senile where I can’t even remember my own name, might be a different song and dance then.
Then again, at that stage in life, probably shouldn’t even be using credit cards Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1596 posts
2018 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: I’d never authorize any bank to pull funds from my bank account on an ongoing basis.
I’ve been doing things the old fashioned way for decades, and have not had a single late payment in my life.
Maybe when I’m old and senile where I can’t even remember my own name, might be a different song and dance then.
Then again, at that stage in life, probably shouldn’t even be using credit cards Face With Tears Of Joy.
What's the old fashioned way? Paying in cash from under your mattress? (oh, but then you wouldn't have a credit card, would you?)
I've used dozens of pre-authorized debits to my bank account (multiple banks/credit unions) to pay bills, credit cards, charge cards, bank-bank transfers over many, many years. Never once had an incorrect or unauthorized debit.
A debit or credit card is far more risky in terms of fraud and misuse than a pre-authorized debit.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8070 posts
8512 upvotes
The Prairies
robsaw wrote: What's the old fashioned way? Paying in cash from under your mattress? (oh, but then you wouldn't have a credit card, would you?)
I've used dozens of pre-authorized debits to my bank account (multiple banks/credit unions) to pay bills, credit cards, charge cards, bank-bank transfers over many, many years. Never once had an incorrect or unauthorized debit.
A debit or credit card is far more risky in terms of fraud and misuse than a pre-authorized debit.
I pay my credit card bills manually every month.
I keep track of all the payment due dates on my device, and pay them a few days before due.
I don’t see a reason to have them all pre-authorized, if juggling multiple due dates is manageable.
Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2012
674 posts
525 upvotes
GTA/London
Yep, can confirm it doesn't need to come from a BNS account- head in branch and be prepared to email or bring a copy of a void cheque and to sign the form they fill out for you.

I set it up with my EQB account last fall.
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, CTFS WE, Brim WE, Simplii VISA
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5395 posts
3919 upvotes
Pre-authorized debit from my Scotia Ultimate Package on my Scotia credit cards. It was done from day #1 and the experience has been great so far.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
💳 Credit card combo (2-7.5% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC + MBNA

Top