Expired Hot Deals

Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card

ScotiaBank Momentum VISA Infinite FYF (inc additional cardholder) + 10% back in first 3 months

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8945 posts
1503 upvotes
TO
Presents wrote: Sorry I may have been mistaken. If it is an annual payout in November then perhaps I read the 7 month timing back in April (which makes sense - I was analyzing the cards when this promo expired in April but got extended).

Not relevant for this promo, but if this gets extended again it does mean if you do not want the AF hit you need to spend the entire $2K before November (which should not be a problem for this promo given the 3 months will pass before November). People applying closer to the payout date will need to be careful (e.g. CIBC last year).
Right so I agree with your above statement, in order to properly milk the benefits/cashback, start an app in Jan2021 if the offer exists as right now anyone applying and not keeping for next year is primarily looking at 10% on 2K.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Aug 27, 2011
437 posts
1219 upvotes
Newmarket
FYI, this may have been discussed in the past but for those who has this card. If you use the Shell Pay App to pay for gas it is counted as a recurring payment so you can technically get 4% cash back on gas, groceries and recurring bills, if you fill up with Shell.
Jul 7, 2016
422 posts
830 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: Don’t understand their decision. Some people with barely 60k income qualified. Many with double that income don’t qualify.

Applying at branch would be any better just after rejection ?
Update with my situation. After dealing with Scotia several times, they won't budge on their ratio of individual income vs. monthly household living costs. I gave up and moved onto BMO CB WE for their 10% promotion (offer expires Oct 31, 2020) and was instantly approved. I was hoping to get Scotia first then BMO later, but I've wasted too much time talking to Scotia - they won't budge unless I do a joint application with my spouse (hard pass).

In the last year:
  • Scotia Momentum Infinite - declined twice
  • TD CBI x2 - approved both times
  • CIBC Dividend Infinite - instantly approved
  • BMO CB WE - instantly approved

Too bad, I liked the Scotia card but I'm not going to allow it to keep dropping my score with hard hits.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2772 posts
1313 upvotes
GTA
Presents wrote: Update with my situation. After dealing with Scotia several times, they won't budge on their ratio of individual income vs. monthly household living costs. I gave up and moved onto BMO CB WE for their 10% promotion (offer expires Oct 31, 2020) and was instantly approved. I was hoping to get Scotia first then BMO later, but I've wasted too much time talking to Scotia - they won't budge unless I do a joint application with my spouse (hard pass).

In the last year:

Too bad, I liked the Scotia card but I'm not going to allow it to keep dropping my score with hard hits.
Ditto, except I’ve not yet applied to BMO. Just worried about not getting approved because I applied and got CT WE, CIBC and PC WE on the same day. Also, I had a BMO WE in the past (2014) - their clause says previous cardholders not eligible.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1087 posts
630 upvotes
It looks like the bonus cash back posted to my account recently. I applied for the card in January.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2564 posts
1182 upvotes
JUnit wrote: It looks like the bonus cash back posted to my account recently. I applied for the card in January.
Same, and I wasn’t expecting to get any due to having a scotia Amex closed less than a year before applying
[OP]
Jan 22, 2008
83 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
Same. I've saved about $750 through this card so far.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6734 posts
3848 upvotes
JUnit wrote: It looks like the bonus cash back posted to my account recently. I applied for the card in January.
when you said posted to your acct, did you mean it was paid out as statement credit or it was added to your cash back balance & will be paid out as statement credit in Nov. statement?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2772 posts
1313 upvotes
GTA
Presents wrote: Update with my situation. After dealing with Scotia several times, they won't budge on their ratio of individual income vs. monthly household living costs. I gave up and moved onto BMO CB WE for their 10% promotion (offer expires Oct 31, 2020) and was instantly approved. I was hoping to get Scotia first then BMO later, but I've wasted too much time talking to Scotia - they won't budge unless I do a joint application with my spouse (hard pass).

In the last year:

Update: I login to my account today and I see that I'm pre-approved for the Amex Gold. Should I take it and switch to visa later? I now have too many cards to meet the MSR :(
Jun 27, 2017
592 posts
831 upvotes
GTA
Thank you! You’re right. I wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t mention it.
Images
  • 3DBA5866-4CA5-4F2D-91B6-54A237AD9CF3.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6734 posts
3848 upvotes
2856597D-8196-4CC1-A510-8D79724594D4.png
That must be a change recently that the bonus cash is paid out within the 7 months after opening.
Jul 7, 2016
422 posts
830 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: Update: I login to my account today and I see that I'm pre-approved for the Amex Gold. Should I take it and switch to visa later? I now have too many cards to meet the MSR :(
So strange. Denied you when you apply but pre-approved for a different card with similar requirements?

It's a good card for the no foreign exchange, but I prefer HSBC WE (also no foreign exchange fee) as an overall travel card. That being said, I cancelled all my travel cards since I do not think I will be travelling until late 2021 at best and at that time I can sign up for a new travel card.

I only wanted the Scotia for 10% cash back so it was a sign up and ditch card for me. I use CTWE or Costco for gas, and my recurring bills aren't high enough to justify the AF to keep the Scotia Momentum Infinite.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2622 posts
1072 upvotes
Burnaby
Bratcoin wrote: Thank you! You’re right. I wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t mention it.
I dont think scotia calculated the bonus correctly; i spent just over $2k on the card thus far and I got less than $200 when i add the statement credit and cashback. not sure if its even worth fighting for the difference.
Feb 28, 2015
881 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
andrewkyng wrote: FYI, this may have been discussed in the past but for those who has this card. If you use the Shell Pay App to pay for gas it is counted as a recurring payment so you can technically get 4% cash back on gas, groceries and recurring bills, if you fill up with Shell.
I've used the shell app to pay at the pump, however, it counted as a gas purchase.
Jan 22, 2020
55 posts
38 upvotes
amplified wrote: I dont think scotia calculated the bonus correctly; i spent just over $2k on the card thus far and I got less than $200 when i add the statement credit and cashback. not sure if its even worth fighting for the difference.
Isn't that because the cash bonus is the difference between your regular and the bonus amount? You should get the remaining amount in November.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2008
83 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
buymistake wrote: Isn't that because the cash bonus is the difference between your regular and the bonus amount? You should get the remaining amount in November.
That's right. If you really wanted to maximize this, you'd have purchased something that only qualified for the standard 1% cashback.
Sep 29, 2018
169 posts
128 upvotes
I have already this card for long. Can I qualify to receive this offer if I add additional card holder now?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2622 posts
1072 upvotes
Burnaby
buymistake wrote: Isn't that because the cash bonus is the difference between your regular and the bonus amount? You should get the remaining amount in November.
I got a statement credit of $169.27 and the total cashback in my account which is to be paid in November is $26.59 on $2024.36 spend in first 3 months. I should get a total of $200.24 (combined) but somehow only get $195.86. Applied Jan 29 and last spend to post was April 13. None of the spend was on FX and no returns.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1893 posts
926 upvotes
BC
is paying using paymentus and using this card will be tagged as recurring bill? thanks...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1514 posts
2792 upvotes
Toronto :)
I already bank with scotiabank under their ultimate package and have scotia amex gold. Does anyone know if they will waive two CCs annual fees? Anybody tried doing this before?
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.