• Jan 15th, 2013 10:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5567 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto

Scotia Moneyback Account with 1% Cash Back on DEBIT, $14.95/month

Scotiabank just launched their new Moneyback account on Monday and it's an interesting one. Here are the details:

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0 ... en,00.html

- 1% money back on all debit Point of Sale purchases as well as Interac Online and Cross Border Debit. Maximum money back of $300 paid per year.
- Unlimited self-service transactions
- Two free non-Scotia ABM transactions/month
- One teller assisted transaction/month
- Free paperless statements
- Free text and/or email alerts to help you manage your account
- $14.95/month

It's the first and only to give cashback on debit card transactions that I've ever seen - good sign for future competion in debit card rewards. Could be worth it if you do a lot of debit, but I'm a credit guy myself...
19 replies
Sep 19, 2004
175 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton
Compared to a standard Scotiabank PowerChequeing account seems decent, provided you use your debit card alot.

$15 a month, thats $180 a year, with a maximum cash back of $300. So provided you spend $30,000 on your debit card annually, you will get $120 back.

I'd much rather do the credit rewards cards, with a no-fee chequeing account, but thats me.
Mar 23, 2004
38235 posts
4359 upvotes
Markham
using debit card for trx? umm, so thanks.

No way to waive the monthly fee sucks too.
"Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg.

Yes, no matter how right the wall may be and how wrong the egg is, I will stand with the egg."

#StandwithHK #5DemandsNot1Less
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7810 posts
310 upvotes
Using debit card = no.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5567 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
There are of course places that accept debit that don't accept credit, but basically the cash back and other benefits have to make up for the $15 monthly fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
70 upvotes
It could be worth switching for a month for me, as I might have some very large debit transactions planned. One of the places where I go to change currencies takes debit, and I've done amountsclike $5K there before.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1171 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
Pretty interesting, as some of the places that take debit but not credit cards are large transactions: tuition, car purchases, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2009
1009 posts
64 upvotes
tng11 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 2:00 pm
It could be worth switching for a month for me, as I might have some very large debit transactions planned. One of the places where I go to change currencies takes debit, and I've done amountsclike $5K there before.
Wouldn't get the Moneyback if you switch for a month as they only credit you once per year in November
Being broke is childish and I'm quite grown
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5567 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
Sanchez wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 4:35 pm
Pretty interesting, as some of the places that take debit but not credit cards are large transactions: tuition, car purchases, etc.
Good point... I didn't even know you could buy a car on debit. Tuition too, hmm... the car one would pay off instantly.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19035 posts
1492 upvotes
Sanchez wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 4:35 pm

I have never seen anyone purchase a car with debit, though I suppose it is possible.

Tuition would be the main one. If you are a student in residence, you can easily be paying 15K to 20K, or more, in tuition. In this case the rebate from your tuition alone more than cancels the fee.

Another big one is power bills and property tax... those would put a big dent in it for some people.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8207 posts
3337 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 6:57 am
I have never seen anyone purchase a car with debit, though I suppose it is possible.

Tuition would be the main one. If you are a student in residence, you can easily be paying 15K to 20K, or more, in tuition. In this case the rebate from your tuition alone more than cancels the fee.

Another big one is power bills and property tax... those would put a big dent in it for some people.
But aren't those bank transfers, not debit card payments?

But I do know you can pay for car purchase deposits using credit/debit, just not the entire car. I was totally expecting to do that last time but they refused.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1171 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
ToniCipriani wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 11:28 am
But aren't those bank transfers, not debit card payments?

But I do know you can pay for car purchase deposits using credit/debit, just not the entire car. I was totally expecting to do that last time but they refused.

Car places don't have an issue letting you pay the entire purchase using debit - unlike they CCs they take only a fixed fee per transaction. The limitation is more that you often cannot increase you interac limit to cover the entire purchase price of a car.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
elty wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 12:40 pm
Using debit card = no.

+1 Not safe
Mar 23, 2004
38235 posts
4359 upvotes
Markham
Gdc wrote:
Jul 24th, 2011 12:26 am
Even if it's not safe... some place only accept debit card. So that's a nice start of debit cards w/ rewards in Canada..! :o

tbh i'll rather pay cash than use debit. There's also a monthly fee for the account so unless u use it ALOT its like almost impossible to break even.
"Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg.

Yes, no matter how right the wall may be and how wrong the egg is, I will stand with the egg."

#StandwithHK #5DemandsNot1Less