Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Scotiabank

Free pre-loaded $6/$8 PRESTO Card for Leafs (10/3) + Raptors (10/17) Home Opener; Extra $6 credit for Scotia customers

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2019 11:57 am
Nov 11, 2017
218 posts
239 upvotes
Wakkanai
Why are people removing the stickers from their cards?

Isn't that the real badge of honor?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Saw an article about this, saw the crowds and thought... wow, these people are incredibly stupid. I wouldn't waste my time in those zoos even if the cards had 10 times the amount loaded on them.

The lengths that people will go to get a few dollars. Reminds me of people that will idle their cars in long gas station lineups because a station is a couple of cents cheaper so they'll save $2 (if they are even doing the math...) but worse.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9093 upvotes
Toronto
Otakoo wrote: Why are people removing the stickers from their cards?

Isn't that the real badge of honor?
If you still have the sticker on, you can't really make fun of the commoners who lined up for hours to get a $6 card
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
BinaryJay wrote: Reminds me of people that will idle their cars in long gas station lineups because a station is a couple of cents cheaper so they'll save $2 (if they are even doing the math...) but worse.
Attention Costco shoppers!
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1328 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
I'm quite confused about how crazy the lines at Eglinton stn were reported to be.
I was passing by the station probably around 4:20 PM, lined up for 10-ish minutes, got the card and hopped back on the subway. The line moved pretty fast, too.
Never had to line up outside or anything. Was well worth it imo.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
quazy wrote: How did you get the glue off? It is really stubborn on mine!
Eaze-off adhesive bandage and tape remover.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure who waited "hours" though ... I had a friend completely miss the promotion because she arrived at 2:55 and found no one. She asked the collector and they told her it's done by Metrolinx.

She walked around, went to eat, came back and the line was ... well you know how it was at Finch Station lol

I think most people devoted 1 hour at most, so yes you can absolutely say your time is worth more than $12 or $14 ...

But, this wouldn't be RFD if we didn't enjoy "a challenge" and that's why I went lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Nov 11, 2017
218 posts
239 upvotes
Wakkanai
College was a zoo!

I think the closer you were to downtown the wilder things became.

It appears things were actually quite civilized in some of the more remote locations.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
Injust wrote: IIRC, the SDM promotion was pay $56 and get $60 on the card.
Something about your math doesn't seem to add up correctly.
Yup, I participated in the Shoppers promo, you still had to pay $6 for the Presto card, load $50, you ended up with the free presto card and $4 free credit.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
LNahid2000 wrote: Congratulations, your time is worth less than $12/hour. I'm glad I didn't bother.
People get an excuse to leave work early and we still get paid for the time lining up. Any amount on the cards are bonus. So why not?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: People get an excuse to leave work early and we still get paid for the time lining up. Any amount on the cards are bonus. So why not?
Because if I was making an excuse to go home early, I'd rather spend my time doing something pleasurable rather than waiting in line for an hour.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
LNahid2000 wrote: Because if I was making an excuse to go home early, I'd rather spend my time doing something pleasurable rather than waiting in line for an hour.
And what is something pleasurable you do after work? Many just turn on the TV and waste time channel surfing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: And what is something pleasurable you do after work? Many just turn on the TV and waste time channel surfing.
Ride my bike, hang out with friends, read, cook something new. Sad that you can't think of things more pleasurable than standing in line for a Presto card other than "waste time channel surfing".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
LNahid2000 wrote: Ride my bike, hang out with friends, read, cook something new. Sad that you can't think of things more pleasurable than standing in line for a Presto card other than "waste time channel surfing".
Everyone has different interest. What's pleasurable for you may not be enjoyed by others. I was chatting online with friends and reading on my cell while waiting in line, so basically doing something similar to you with the exception that I was standing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Everyone has different interest. What's pleasurable for you may not be enjoyed by others. I was chatting online with friends and reading on my cell while waiting in line, so basically doing something similar to you with the exception that I was standing.
If that's how you justify standing in line for an hour for $12, good for you I guess. I don't do lines.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: If that's how you justify standing in line for an hour for $12, good for you I guess. I don't do lines.
I think we all know where you stand on this promotion. Let's all move on, thank you.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
Injust wrote: I'm quite confused about how crazy the lines at Eglinton stn were reported to be.
I was passing by the station probably around 4:20 PM, lined up for 10-ish minutes, got the card and hopped back on the subway. The line moved pretty fast, too.
Never had to line up outside or anything. Was well worth it imo.
At 3:55pm the line went through the fare paid area, past the collector booth, through the tunnel across Yonge, out again at CIBC and then south on Yonge by the Tim Hortons (there is a picture in post 176). I went grocery shopping and came back at ~4:22. End of line barely came to (unattended) right side of fare booth. As I got close security announced the line was going to be capped as they were running out of cards. I got what seemed like card 999 and there was a groan from the ~50 people remaining. As I left I saw someone coming with a big handful of cards. I think anyone there by 4:25 likely got a free Presto card.
Aug 31, 2012
177 posts
136 upvotes
Scarborough
DaVibe wrote: I'm not sure who waited "hours" though ... I had a friend completely miss the promotion because she arrived at 2:55 and found no one. She asked the collector and they told her it's done by Metrolinx.

She walked around, went to eat, came back and the line was ... well you know how it was at Finch Station lol

I think most people devoted 1 hour at most, so yes you can absolutely say your time is worth more than $12 or $14 ...

But, this wouldn't be RFD if we didn't enjoy "a challenge" and that's why I went lol
Well, when myself and a few others were looking for where to line up, the TTC info employee infor---warned us that there were a few people who had started lining up since noon and that the we might be waiting in the line for long. We went to line up anyway because how long would it take to pass out cards? I got mine at 4:18 pm. The line would've moved faster too if people weren't answering the question with "Scotia Arena" and "Air Canada Centre" even though the folks handing out the cards were carrying flags and wearing shirts with "Scotiabank Arena" and repeatedly got the crowd to shout out "Scotiabank Arena".

Line-up was within the paid fare area.
Apr 24, 2011
576 posts
727 upvotes
quazy wrote: How did you get the glue off? It is really stubborn on mine!
You can use anything with alcohol, e.g. gel hand sanitizer. Cover the glue with a thin layer of the gel for about 30 secs, then gently rub it off with kleenex. Repeat as necessary. Or...I simply used an X-acto knife to lift the corner of the sticker with as little mess as possible, peeled it slowly the rest of the way, then used the sticker itself to repeatedly "lift" off any remaining glue until it was clear. Alternately, a piece of scotch or packing tape can be used in this fashion to lift the remaining glue. Easy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)