Credit Cards

Scotiabank Platinum Amex...denied entry to Plaza Premium Lounge?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2022 2:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 8, 2015
622 posts
690 upvotes
Kanata

Scotiabank Platinum Amex...denied entry to Plaza Premium Lounge?

Staying at YVR Airport and I was denied access to Plaza Premium Lounge with my Scotiabank Amex Platinum. However this is the blurb in Scotiabank's web page:

Be confident that you’ll have a place to relax or catch up on business. Enjoy complimentary lounge access with Priority Pass™ and Plaza Premium lounges with access to over 1200+ VIP lounges around the world. You must present your Priority Pass Membership Card (or Digital Membership Card) to enter lounges accessible through Priority Pass and present your Scotiabank American Express Platinum card to access the Plaza Premium lounges.

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

kind of BS when website and real life has conflicting results...
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2792 posts
1256 upvotes
Burnaby
Do you have your priority pass card or ecard through the app?
Jul 5, 2021
138 posts
151 upvotes
In order to access Plaza Premium lounges, you need to present your physical credit card. In the past you could also use Priority Pass but not anymore. If you had your credit card then the staff at Plaza Premium was wrong and you should have been allowed in.
May 25, 2008
115 posts
30 upvotes
plaza premium lounges switched their partner to dragonpass. priority pass no longer has access to plaza premium lounge.
Jul 26, 2022
256 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
decane wrote: plaza premium lounges switched their partner to dragonpass. priority pass no longer has access to plaza premium lounge.
Yes, but Scotiabank’s info booklet suggests that Scotiabank Amex Platinum has direct access to Plaza Premium lounges.

Similar to how Amex Platinum has a direct partnership with Plaza Premium.

For Amex Platinum, you just present the credit card, which is also what you’re supposed to do for the Scotiabank Amex Platinum, which is what OP did.

Lounge dragon might not have been familiar with the rules as it seems very few people have the Scotiabank Amex Platinum (most have the Amex Platinum).
RFD lurker since 2017
[OP]
Feb 8, 2015
622 posts
690 upvotes
Kanata
amplified wrote: Do you have your priority pass card or ecard through the app?
lemon0fish wrote: In order to access Plaza Premium lounges, you need to present your physical credit card. In the past you could also use Priority Pass but not anymore. If you had your credit card then the staff at Plaza Premium was wrong and you should have been allowed in.
smartie wrote: Need more details
I presented my Amex Scotiabank Platinum Credit card and I was refused. I then pressed and he offered to try it out on his machine. I swiped my Amex card and the system gave some "error" line. I forgot the exact sentence.
I then asked if he accepts Priority Pass and he said no.

I then went to a second Plaza Premium lounge nearby and that failed as well with the exact same result as the above.

Also, this was the picture of the accepted cards on the counter:
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2792 posts
1256 upvotes
Burnaby
yeah I forgot plaza premium and priority pass ended their relationship
Jul 26, 2022
256 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
This is the welcome guide from Scotiabank: https://www.scotiabank.com/content/dam/scotiabank/canada/common/documents/pdf/credit_card/Platinum-American-Express-WelcomeKit-EN.pdf

It clearly states:

Plaza Premium
Plaza Premium Lounge is a network of airport lounges around the world that are open to the Scotiabank Platinum American Express Cardmembers, regardless of airline or ticket class. Scotiabank Platinum American Express Cardmembers are eligible for up to 10 visits per year at no additional cost.

From relaxing getaways to important business trips, eligible Scotiabank American Express Cardmembers can enjoy privileged access to selected Plaza Premium Lounges all year round whenever you travel. At over 90+ locations in more than 40+ international airports worldwide, you can relax and unwind before your next journey and enjoy a complimentary visit to Plaza Premium Lounge.

Simply present your eligible Scotiabank Platinum American Express Card with a boarding pass for the same day or the following day travel at the selected lounge reception.

Plaza Premium Lounge makes sure your airport experience is seamless whether you’re arriving, departing or transiting at the airport.

To view the list of participating lounges, go to
https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com
The list of participating lounges is subject to change from time to time.
The welcome guide was updated recently too, as it has references to Scene+, the new card design, and mobile device insurance effective July 2022, which would’ve been after Plaza Premium cut ties with Priority Pass.

The reason why this is so interesting for me is if the welcome guide is true, then we get 10+10 = 20 lounge passes per year. 10 for Plaza Premium and 10 for Priority Pass (usable at restaurants).
RFD lurker since 2017
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
6058 posts
7486 upvotes
Montreal
1s22s22p4 wrote: This is the welcome guide from Scotiabank: https://www.scotiabank.com/content/dam/scotiabank/canada/common/documents/pdf/credit_card/Platinum-American-Express-WelcomeKit-EN.pdf

It clearly states:

The welcome guide was updated recently too, as it has references to Scene+, the new card design, and mobile device insurance effective July 2022, which would’ve been after Plaza Premium cut ties with Priority Pass.

The reason why this is so interesting for me is if the welcome guide is true, then we get 10+10 = 20 lounge passes per year. 10 for Plaza Premium and 10 for Priority Pass (usable at restaurants).
Where did you read that you can use the Priority Pass passes from this card at restaurants? I don't have this card, but I know that Priority Pass participating restaurants have not accepted (for a few years now) lounge passes that were obtained via an Amex card.
Jul 26, 2022
256 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: Where did you read that you can use the Priority Pass passes from this card at restaurants? I don't have this card, but I know that Priority Pass participating restaurants have not accepted (for a few years now) lounge passes that were obtained via an Amex card.
I don't have the card either, but it was an educated guess I had earlier this year. The card is issued by Scotiabank and not Amex itself, so I don't think it is affected by Amex's decision to not cover PP restaurants. Similar to how BNS Passport VI still had PP restaurant access, as Scotiabank is presumably footing the bill for the PP membership/visits.

I also PM'd someone here on RFD and they confirmed that there is restaurant access with this card. So that's one DP at least.

It can't be included in the Visa Airport Companion Program because, well, it isn't a Visa... so I assume Scotiabank is still paying for the PP memberships/visits, as otherwise there would be no lounge access for this card. Or they struck a deal with Plaza Premium (like Amex Plat), but for some reason they are still paying for the Priority Pass benefit as well.

But with only 10 passes, you wouldn't be able to truly maximize the value from restaurants unlike the Amex Plat before Amex removed restaurant access. You can't go on a PP restaurant eating spree with this card.

In fact, Scotiabank might be willing to cover restaurant visits just because there are only 10 passes, so their downside is limited (unlike Amex's generous unlimited passes). They probably end up paying a similar amount to PP whether you use 10 passes at a restaurant or 10 passes at a lounge.
RFD lurker since 2017
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4492 posts
3401 upvotes
Edmonton
Clearly, the first word in the thread title explains the issue.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15823 posts
21569 upvotes
Vancouver
starchoice wrote: Clearly, the first word in the thread title explains the issue.
+1000
Good luck getting hold of anyone at Scotiabank who even understands the problem, never mind fixing it for you or even knowing how to escalate the issue to someone who actually can.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9896 posts
3142 upvotes
multi city dweller
garmium wrote: I presented my Amex Scotiabank Platinum Credit card and I was refused. I then pressed and he offered to try it out on his machine. I swiped my Amex card and the system gave some "error" line. I forgot the exact sentence.
I then asked if he accepts Priority Pass and he said no.

I then went to a second Plaza Premium lounge nearby and that failed as well with the exact same result as the above.

Also, this was the picture of the accepted cards on the counter:
The photo don't show Scotia AMEX plat CC?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
6058 posts
7486 upvotes
Montreal
LOL808 wrote: The photo don't show Scotia AMEX plat CC?
Those are the Canadian Visa cards that work. Other cards also work (supposed to work), i.e., Amex Platinum cards, BNS Platinum Amex, and some U.S. cards (Cap1 V/VX).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5975 posts
4422 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Weird, I guess their system didn't program the Scotiabank Amex cards. I know for sure the regular Amex Platinum works as I was there at YVR Plaza Premium Lounge few weeks ago. Just presented my card.
May 25, 2008
115 posts
30 upvotes
if you go to the application page, you can see the footnotes only mention priority pass; hence no plaza premium access (foot note 6)
link to gold card
Priority Pass™ membership includes access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass program. Certain terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Unless cancelled, Priority Pass membership automatically renews on its anniversary date. Priority Pass membership will be cancelled if your Scotiabank Gold American Express Card is cancelled. For complete Priority Pass terms and conditions, please visit prioritypass.com/Conditions-of-use
sorry i clearly didn't read.
Last edited by decane on Dec 19th, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
6058 posts
7486 upvotes
Montreal
decane wrote: if you go to the application page, you can see the footnotes only mention priority pass; hence no plaza premium access (foot note 6)
link to gold card
Not sure what that has to do with the BNS Platinum Amex...