911 posts
447 upvotes

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank American Express Gold Credit Card

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Scotiabank
More offers from Scotiabank
Hey guys
Not sure if this is new or what, but this card seems to be very good, even compare to Cobalt (Of course missing that AMEX MR-S kinda sucks :D)

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

1. Earn up to 30,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points in your first year (that’s up to $300 in rewards)
2. No foreign transaction fees
You will not pay 2.5% foreign transaction fees on any foreign currency purchases, including online shopping and when travelling abroad. Only the exchange rate applies.
3. 5x on Restaurant, Food delivery like Skip the dishes... drinks, grocery, entertainment
4. 3x on Gas, Transit
5. 1x on everything else

Edit:
6. Concierge Service
7. Airport Lounge

What do you guys think?
276 replies
Mar 9, 2019
245 posts
517 upvotes
St. John's
I think this card has lounge access which cobalt does not... Anyone know what lounge program they use? And does it have the good extended warranty the cobalt has?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6874 posts
6043 upvotes
You posted this in hot deals & in the credit card forum Thinking Face
Dec 24, 2011
481 posts
317 upvotes
toronto
First 25,000 points are easy the next 5000 will take time...

To qualify for the 25,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points offer, make sure to:

1 - Open a new Scotiabank Gold American Express® credit card by December 30, 2019.

2 - Make at least $1,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first 3 months from account opening

We’ll credit your Scotia Rewards account with 25,000 points 5-10 business days after your first 3 months have passed.

To qualify for the 5,000 bonus Scotia Reward points offer, make sure to:

1 - Make at least $10,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first year

We’ll credit your Scotia Rewards account with 5,000 points 2 statement cycles after you have met the $10,000 annual spend on the Account.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
911 posts
447 upvotes
IMO, this is actually better card than Cobalt, the only thing is Cobalt has value for transferring MR-S to Marriott...etc
This would be a very good card for every day spending.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
911 posts
447 upvotes
Damians2012 wrote: I think this card has lounge access which cobalt does not... Anyone know what lounge program they use? And does it have the good extended warranty the cobalt has?
From AMEX:
Most items purchased anywhere in the world are automatically insured against theft, loss or damage as long as the full cost of the item is charged to your Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card.

Coverage extends for the first 90 days from the date of purchase, is limited to the lesser of the repair cost, replacement cost or original purchase price, and is in excess of any other insurance coverage.

When you charge the full cost of most items to your Card, extended warranty coverage doubles the original manufacturer’s warranty for up to one year. Coverage is limited to the lesser of the repair cost, replacement cost, or original purchase price.

Items covered by a manufacturer’s warranty repair services of five years or more must be registered within the first year of purchase.

Also, this card offers No Exchange fee (2.5%), this is big
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1755 posts
1335 upvotes
No FYF makes this cold, the best offer Scotia ever had was 35k+FYF (possibly was targeted). Best public offer I remember (because I signed up for it) was 30k + FYF.

Wait until a FYF offer comes back.
Nov 12, 2017
467 posts
346 upvotes
A solid deal for those who are also churning the Scotia One Account for the $300. By September, the annual fees on these cards will be changed.
I, for one, will either be getting this card or the Passport
Jan 28, 2009
196 posts
76 upvotes
It says you get Priority Pass memberships, but I can't find anything mentioning free lounge visits. So will you still need to pay for access but at a reduced rate because you are a member? For example, I have the Passport Visa Infinite and it explicitly states, "Enjoy complimentary Priority Pass™ membership, plus 6 free visits per year from the date of enrolment."

Also, my other card is the old Scotia Amex Gold. I wonder if they will automatically send me a new card and transfer me to this one? I never had "no FX fee" on the Scotia Amex before
Last edited by alvin545 on Aug 7th, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5379 posts
1667 upvotes
Damians2012 wrote: I think this card has lounge access which cobalt does not... Anyone know what lounge program they use? And does it have the good extended warranty the cobalt has?
Priority Pass
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5379 posts
1667 upvotes
"Priority Pass membership includes access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass program. Certain terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Unless cancelled, Priority Pass membership automatically renews on its anniversary date. Priority Pass membership will be cancelled if your Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card is cancelled. For complete Priority Pass terms and conditions, please visit www.prioritypass.com/Conditions-of-use.cfm "

Looking at the t&c it looks like it's a standard "membership" in the program.
Last edited by Toukolou on Aug 7th, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2416 posts
889 upvotes
Burnaby
the best most recent offer for this card was a few months ago through swagbucks, $150 worth of swagbucks if redeemed for Paypal credit minus the $99 annual fee of the card at the time.
Jan 28, 2009
196 posts
76 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: "Priority Pass membership includes access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass program. Certain terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Unless cancelled, Priority Pass membership automatically renews on its anniversary date. Priority Pass membership will be cancelled if your Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card is cancelled. For complete Priority Pass terms and conditions, please visit www.prioritypass.com/Conditions-of-use.cfm "
yeah i saw those terms. It just says you have membership but it doesn't mention free lounge visits. So I think, based on the language, that with this card you get the standard membership ($99 USD value according to Priority Pass website), and for each visit to a lounge you will need to pay $32 USD. Here is the breakdown for the different levels of PP membership: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join
Jun 22, 2017
112 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto/Kingston
alvin545 wrote: yeah i saw those terms. It just says you have membership but it doesn't mention free lounge visits. So I think, based on the language, that with this card you get the standard membership ($99 USD value according to Priority Pass website), and for each visit to a lounge you will need to pay $32 USD. Here is the breakdown for the different levels of PP membership: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join
This is correct. I have both this and the Passport Infinite, which gives 6 free lounge visits per year. Personally find the Amex way better than the Passport, even if it is accepted at slightly fewer places than the Visa.
Sep 26, 2017
296 posts
202 upvotes
i was looking at this card and the point accumulate faster than the cobalt card.

can anyone let me know if scotia amex, you can apply the points to purchases? (similarly like all amex)
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1391 posts
1364 upvotes
Vancouver
It's going to be FYF starting in September, if you have the Preferred banking account.
Jun 9, 2019
415 posts
487 upvotes
meredithtaylor wrote: This is correct. I have both this and the Passport Infinite, which gives 6 free lounge visits per year. Personally find the Amex way better than the Passport, even if it is accepted at slightly fewer places than the Visa.
How do you figure? Do you just travel enough that 6 free lounge visits get used up?
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
I have the CIBC aventura which gives me 4 passes a year. Does this stack priority pass?
Jul 25, 2015
191 posts
103 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
rosenberg100 wrote: i was looking at this card and the point accumulate faster than the cobalt card.

can anyone let me know if scotia amex, you can apply the points to purchases? (similarly like all amex)
Yes it's similar to "Flexible Points Travel" with Amex. You can redeem 1 point = 1c against all "travel" purchases, minimum $50 redemption, which I've found to be very flexible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)