Scotiabank

Scotiabank Preferred Package Chequing - $300 Welcome, 1.75% Savings + $60 GCR

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 8:08 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
17 posts
70 upvotes

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Preferred Package Chequing - $300 Welcome, 1.75% Savings + $60 GCR

Deal Link:
Expiry:
May 30, 2021
Retailer:
Scotiabank
More offers from Scotiabank
The promotion savings interest 1.75% is in limited time, but I didn't find until when.
Monthly fee is waived with balance greater than $4,000. But I am not sure whether the $4,000 must be kept in the chequing account.
I don't find how long the account need to be kept open either.

I never have bank accounts with Scotiabank. I have some credit cards with them but had some bad experience when trying to get their promotion offers.

This promotion looks good. Does anyone have experience with their banking and what pitfalls could be in this deal?
10 replies
Oct 21, 2018
125 posts
249 upvotes
Nice. looks like gcr increased the rebate. It was 40 for ultimate package a few days ago when I opened.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2425 posts
959 upvotes
NevAnEver wrote: Nice. looks like gcr increased the rebate. It was 40 for ultimate package a few days ago when I opened.
Ultimate package is $65 this month. OP posted $60 for is preferred package.
PSN: Sakaban
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2752 posts
2351 upvotes
BC
Fyi... You must maintain the $4k balance at all times to waive the monthly fee.

Personally I would go for the Ultimate Package and keep $5k... You get a lot more benefits with that plan if you want to stay with BNS
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1451 posts
1004 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
muffin4life wrote: Fyi... You must maintain the $4k balance at all times to waive the monthly fee.

Personally I would go for the Ultimate Package and keep $5k... You get a lot more benefits with that plan if you want to stay with BNS
Yeah I noticed on my mother's account they charge even for seniors package now although there is a monthly $4 credit.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2322 posts
1149 upvotes
Moon
I need cheques... is the 5k ultimate pkg better for BNS or TD all inclusive? I am already with TD btw.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Aug 12, 2010
953 posts
772 upvotes
rainclear wrote: I never have bank accounts with Scotiabank. I have some credit cards with them but had some bad experience when trying to get their promotion offers.
I have banked with Scotiabank over 40 years, and had nothing but problems! When my mother died I spent 2 years trying to close her credit cards with Scotia resulting in incidents that included, but not limited to: sending me a letter saying her accounts are indeed closed only for me to get over 100 notices of her balance of $0 + annual feeds pending to one representative telling me she still needs to go to her designated branch. (3000km from her grave) I went through the office of the president and ombudsmen, think the fixed it, but damn 2 years of WTH???
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
17 posts
70 upvotes
geoffs wrote: I have banked with Scotiabank over 40 years, and had nothing but problems! When my mother died I spent 2 years trying to close her credit cards with Scotia resulting in incidents that included, but not limited to: sending me a letter saying her accounts are indeed closed only for me to get over 100 notices of her balance of $0 + annual feeds pending to one representative telling me she still needs to go to her designated branch. (3000km from her grave) I went through the office of the president and ombudsmen, think the fixed it, but damn 2 years of WTH???
Oh man. I think you may need to switch a bank. My personal experience with CIBC and TD is good. My parents are with CIBC and CIBC waives fees for seniors.
Aug 12, 2010
953 posts
772 upvotes
rainclear wrote: Oh man. I think you may need to switch a bank. My personal experience with CIBC and TD is good. My parents are with CIBC and CIBC waives fees for seniors.
Actually I am with CIBC too...been ok
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
May 26, 2011
915 posts
689 upvotes
I was originally going for BMO, but I've noticed Ultimate gives 10 free trades with iTrade, sounds like a good deal to try it out. I just checked it's been more than 2 years from last churn, I'm good to go. I haven't looked at their credit card yet, but annual fee rebate seems good, as I don't think they're giving any first year free offer at the moment.

It doesn't look like there's no minimum term requirement, it says we get paid within 6 mo from the account opening, so we should be able to close soon as we get paid. The last time I did, I opened my account in June, then closed in March the following year. I would've closed earlier if there was no problem with the payout: I had to fight for it.
Sakaban wrote: Ultimate package is $65 this month. OP posted $60 for is preferred package.
cashback.highintrestsavings.ca is giving out $70 etransfer or $75 Amazon GC for Ultimate, $65 etransfer or $70 Amazon GC for Preferred. I like HIS better than GCR, because their payout by etransfer was a month or 2 quicker than GCR last time I signed up with a product there.
kangarooz wrote: I need cheques... is the 5k ultimate pkg better for BNS or TD all inclusive? I am already with TD btw.
If cheque books are all you need, go for Simplii Financial, instead. Unlimited free chq books. Get a referral from your friend for a $50 bonus, do a direct deposit for a while for an additional $200 bonus. Unlimited free ATM access with CIBC. Occasional high interest saving rate promos. No monthly fees, no minimum balance required (except when you get a referral bonus, I think the minimum is $100).
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.