Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 4, 2004
725 posts
725 upvotes
GTA

Scotiabank Visa & Apple Pay

I have my Scotiabank Visa card in Apple Pay on my iPhone XR, running iOS 14.4.2. I just got an Apple Watch Series 5 and tried adding the same card to Apple Pay on the Watch. However, I keep getting an error "Card not added / Contact your card issuer for more information." I tried restarting my iPhone and Watch, removing the cards and re-adding, but it would only add it to one device and not the other.

So I called Scotiabank and spoke with a CSR in the Digital Wallets department. He had me go through the setup for the watch several times, but he never saw a token request on his end. Next, I removed the card from my iPhone and tried adding it to my Watch. This time, he saw the token request, approved it and it was added to Apple Pay in my Watch. Then I tried re-adding it to my iPhone, only to the the "Card not added" error again, and again the CSR did not see any token request come through on his end.

After a few more tries, he created a report to send up the chain, but I'm not sure if this is a Scotiabank issue or Apple Pay issue or Visa issue or something else. Anyone encounter this kind of issues where you can only add the card to one device but not the other? Any solutions?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8387 posts
9046 upvotes
The Prairies
As someone who has both Apple phone and watch, always upgrading every year or two, I have never encountered this issue with any of my credit cards including Scotia.
Do you have a password enabled for your Apple Watch?
Other than that, I have no guesses what the issue could be.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2004
725 posts
725 upvotes
GTA
Yes, passcode is on. It won't even allow you to attempt to add a card without one.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1253 posts
1074 upvotes
Calgary
I actually had the same issue about 5 years ago with a card from a UK bank. They never could figure it out but it eventually fixed itself after a few months. It appeared to be some kind of issue on MasterCard's end and they didn't even push through the request to the bank.