• Sep 18th, 2021 12:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes

ScotiaRewards to become Scene+

Looks like Scotiabank is merging their rewards program with Cineplex's SCENE rewards as Scene+. Starting November 22nd, all ScotiaRewards cards will earn Scene+ rewards. Existing ScotiaRewards points will be transferred to the new Scene+ program at a 1:1 ratio.

Scotiabank does note that because of the transition, ScotiaRewards will be unavailable between November 15 - November 22, 2021. Any points earned during this time period will be deposited as Scene+ points on November 22nd.

Here's the new reward chart for Scotiabank bank accounts:

Here's the new reward chart for Scotiabank credit cards:

Looks like Book Any Travel is still around with Scene+:

For more about the ScotiaRewards changes: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... eplus.html
For more about the Scene+ program: https://www.scene.ca/en-ca/sceneplus
Last edited by deltatux on Sep 9th, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
Looking through it all, I don't see anything truly egregious about this. Nothing that will impact me personally but some good things. I am amused they kept the Scene name in it. I would have thought they'd go maybe for something more generic.
🏦 Banking: Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees), Alterna Bank (0.9%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: MBNA Rewards World Elite (5.5pts dine/utilities, 1.1pts rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, forex)
Jul 15, 2003
771 posts
306 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
Ooooof, that's a lot of bank accounts that are no longer eligible for points. This is odd since I actually just switched from Scene to ScotiaRewards due to the pandemic...
Sep 30, 2018
158 posts
128 upvotes
I wonder if the Scene+ points can be transferred to any hotel or airline loyalty programs.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2297 posts
3628 upvotes
BC
Any word about redemption against any travel at 1 cpp? As long as they keep that I don't care what they call their points. If they get rid of that I'm out.

I have a Scotia Gold but haven't received any notice about this change yet.

Edit: looks like we're good:
EARN AND REDEEM
SCENE+ TRAVEL

How do I use my Scene+ points to book travel?
You can earn and redeem when you book your next trip with Scene+ Travel – our third-party service travel centre that is part of the new Scene+ program. Earn 3 points for every $1 you spend on your hotel and car rental when booked through Scene+ Travel.

Redeem in increments of 100 points for $1 toward your hotel or car rental when you book with Scene+ Travel.

Will I still be able to apply my points to travel?
Yes, you will continue to be able to apply your points to offset travel costs using the Apply Points to Travel option with the Scene+ Program.
https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... NE0721-001
Last edited by rhw123 on Sep 9th, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes
sharinganic wrote: I wonder if the Scene+ points can be transferred to any hotel or airline loyalty programs.
The current ScotiaRewards program doesn't have that option and I don't see any literature that points that to be the case with the new Scene+ program.
Thanks for the update, I updated the OP to reflect this, thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2297 posts
3628 upvotes
BC
I'm still a little suspicious since they don't explicitly mention the redemption rate for "Apply Points to Travel" in the FAQ.

We regularly cash out our points anyway so going to do that before Nov 15 for sure.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: I'm still a little suspicious since they don't explicitly mention the redemption rate for "Apply Points to Travel" in the FAQ.

We regularly cash out our points anyway so going to do that before Nov 15 for sure.
Well, assuming the prices at Scene+ travel isn't outrageously more expensive, getting essentially 3% back on hotel & car rental ain't bad. That's better than the current ScotiaRewards Travel service which doesn't reward you at all. I have a feeling the new travel service is operated by HRG just like the current ScotiaRewards Travel.

But yes, might be a good idea to cash out before it's too late in case they do change the redemption rates.
Aug 2, 2021
57 posts
56 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: I'm still a little suspicious since they don't explicitly mention the redemption rate for "Apply Points to Travel" in the FAQ.

So the Passport VI was going to be next on my list of cards to get, do you think its worth waiting to see if the valuation of points changes?
Current promo (and I assume the current GCR $110) runs out Oct 31.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2297 posts
3628 upvotes
BC
deltatux wrote: Well, assuming the prices at Scene+ travel isn't outrageously more expensive, getting essentially 3% back on hotel & car rental ain't bad. That's better than the current ScotiaRewards Travel service which doesn't reward you at all. I have a feeling the new travel service is operated by HRG just like the current ScotiaRewards Travel.
I'll never know because I'll never use it.

Booking travel, especially flights, through a 3rd party portal has its downsides. It's fine if everything goes according to plan but if you run into an issue, it's much harder to resolve and you risk ending up wasting precious time during your trip on the phone getting bounced back and forth between airline and travel portal. Been there, done that.

Personally I only book flights directly with airlines now even if it's more expensive or earns less rewards.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2297 posts
3628 upvotes
BC
hubbabubba73 wrote: So the Passport VI was going to be next on my list of cards to get, do you think its worth waiting to see if the valuation of points changes?
Up to you. Theoretically should be plenty of time to get approved, hit MSR, receive the bonus and cash out before the changes. But with Scotia you never know.

Again, it looks like flexible travel redemption will remain unchanged but also again, with Scotia you never know, lol.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: I'll never know because I'll never use it.

Booking travel, especially flights, through a 3rd party portal has its downsides. It's fine if everything goes according to plan but if you run into an issue, it's much harder to resolve and you risk ending up wasting precious time during your trip on the phone getting bounced back and forth between airline and travel portal. Been there, done that.

Personally I only book flights directly with airlines now even if it's more expensive or earns less rewards.
For airlines yes book with airline but for hotels & car rentals, getting the 3% back is not a bad deal assuming their hotel & car rental prices are good.
hubbabubba73 wrote: So the Passport VI was going to be next on my list of cards to get, do you think its worth waiting to see if the valuation of points changes?
Redeeming on the Scene+ Travel Service will still be 1 cpp, same as right now. We just don't know if there are any changes for Apply Points to Travel is all.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
I do wish they gave the 3% back on just hotel bookings. I'd totally use them for that as a result, but as it's hotel & car... and I never rent a car... alas.
💳 Spending: MBNA Rewards World Elite (5.5pts dine/utilities, 1.1pts rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, forex)
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes
joshnet wrote: I do wish they gave the 3% back on just hotel bookings. I'd totally use them for that as a result, but as it's hotel & car... and I never rent a car... alas.
I don't think you need to rent a car AND book a hotel to get the points. I think it's either or. In the redemption part of the page, it says you can redeem on flights, hotels and car rentals. I don't think you need to do all 3 just to redeem your points either...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2376 posts
1781 upvotes
From my understanding, this does not affect credit cards with points on them and the value towards travel stays the same?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2297 posts
3628 upvotes
BC
deltatux wrote: For airlines yes book with airline but for hotels & car rentals, getting the 3% back is not a bad deal assuming their hotel & car rental prices are good.
joshnet wrote: I do wish they gave the 3% back on just hotel bookings. I'd totally use them for that as a result, but as it's hotel & car... and I never rent a car... alas.
In our case we never stay in hotels but we do rent cars every now and then and prefer booking those directly with the rental agency as well. We charge them to HSBC WE which earns 3% (or 2.4 Avios / $1) on travel. We use our Passport to book flights for the better insurances despite earning only 1%. Our Scotia Gold is mainly for earning 5X within Canada.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
deltatux wrote: I don't think you need to rent a car AND book a hotel to get the points. I think it's either or. In the redemption part of the page, it says you can redeem on flights, hotels and car rentals. I don't think you need to do all 3 just to redeem your points either...
Aha, you are correct. They should have used an "or" in their language. The terms and conditions are more explicit:
You may earn Scene+ Points on the total value of your purchase made using Scene+ Travel, less taxes and fees, whether it was made using Scene+ Points or a
payment card (including a Program Card) or a combination of the two.

Any Scene+ Points earned on a travel purchase using Scene+ Travel will be applied to your Scene+ Account within 6 weeks after you have completed your itinerary.
1. Hotels: 3 Scene+ Points per $1 spent;
2. Car Rental: 3 Scene+ Points per $1 spent
The earn rates on Scene+ Travel may be changed.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
673 posts
799 upvotes
joshnet wrote: Aha, you are correct. They should have used an "or" in their language. The terms and conditions are more explicit:
Agreed, their wording could be better.

I wonder if it also means you can stack the point earned, does this mean you get 3 points per $1 spent and then an extra point per dollar spent if you paid with a Scotiabank credit card? It doesn't say but it'll be amazing if it worked out that way to potentially get 4% total back... At least one can dream lol.