Personal Finance

Scotibank replacement access card for no reason?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2020 10:02 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 30, 2017
546 posts
62 upvotes

Scotibank replacement access card for no reason?

Hey guys.

I've posted here before that I am stuck down here in India and won't be back in Canada for another couple of months. I've been monitoring and using my bank accounts for local expenses back in Toronto. However when I logged into my Scotia online banking, it says we've sent you a replacement card, it should arrive within 10 days. If you don't get it please call this number for uninterrupted services. It also has an option to remind me later.

I have a lot of savings in various other banks and scotiabank as well. I am not sure why they would send me a replacement card when my current card in hand won''t expire until 2023. They are putting me in a difficult situation by sending this replacement card for no reason cuz it will go to my Toronto address and no one would be there to receive it. I assume they won't send it to India in this situation.

Should I move all my money to a different bank in case if I get locked out. I called up Scotiabank and they said it's probably because your card is about to expire, if not ignore that message. I just don't feel very comfortable without having access to my online banking in case if they disable my current access card for no reasons whatsoever. They know I am not in Canada, I've informed them before I left to put a note.

Should I be concerned at all??
8 replies
Feb 15, 2018
168 posts
136 upvotes
You have a couple options:
1- Call Scotia 1800 & tell them to cancel this card, they can put a note into your account to not activate this card under any circumstances
2- Transfer all you money from Scotia to a different bank
Most likely this "new" debit card was mail it from a request made by a : A) Family B) Friend C) Someone who will intercept the arrival of this new card

If I were you I just transfer the whole thing to a different account before is too late
Watch your back...good luck
Mar 2, 2014
600 posts
293 upvotes
Diverisfy the money for sure, not leaving all the money in 1 bank.
Do you use username to log in or card number? I set up username so it does not depend on card number. However I don't know if their online system will require one time card number based login to verify
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 30, 2017
546 posts
62 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: You have a couple options:
1- Call Scotia 1800 & tell them to cancel this card, they can put a note into your account to not activate this card under any circumstances
2- Transfer all you money from Scotia to a different bank
Most likely this "new" debit card was mail it from a request made by a : A) Family B) Friend C) Someone who will intercept the arrival of this new card

If I were you I just transfer the whole thing to a different account before is too late
Watch your back...good luck
Thank you. I'll call them right away. The wait time is brutal ugh. Its very hard to call a 1800 number using an internet based caller from a different country.

Thank you. I'm just gonna move my money to my main savings at cibc if they say there's nothing we can do or if they said meh just ignore that warning message. Things are pretty bad here and i wouldn't want to not have access to every bit of money i have in my accounts. Thanks again.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 30, 2017
546 posts
62 upvotes
scorown wrote: Diverisfy the money for sure, not leaving all the money in 1 bank.
Do you use username to log in or card number? I set up username so it does not depend on card number. However I don't know if their online system will require one time card number based login to verify
I do have a user name and I only log in with user name but i think when i first registered i had to use the access card. Its frustrating cuz my card was close to expiring before i left Canada so i spent a few hours at the branch to explain that no no my card will expire when I'm outside Canada so please issue me a new one. I got the new one that day for this exact same reason so i won't get locked out when I'm overseas. Seems like it's all meaningless now.

I'll update again after i call them now.
Thank you.
Last edited by wonderkitty on Apr 7th, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3938 posts
1184 upvotes
Durham Region
wonderkitty wrote: Thank you. I'll call them right away. The wait time is brutal ugh. Its very hard to call a 1800 number using an internet based caller from a different country.
(416) 701-7200 is the non-800 number for Scotia customer service, may be easier to use that one. Can google it to confirm authenticity.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 30, 2017
546 posts
62 upvotes
CorSter wrote: (416) 701-7200 is the non-800 number for Scotia customer service, may be easier to use that one. Can google it to confirm authenticity.
Updates. Weird experience, they gave me $100 credit lol I called that number and the wait time was 43 mins. Brutal. The CSR assured me that it was a mistake they sent a new one, so I raised concerns about possible fraud activity as @Edmontonian22 suggested, so CSR took a note of that and told me the newly sent card has the same access card number except the numbers in the back panel, and agreed to block it just in case. If something happens in 10 days if I lost access to online banking which he assured it wont happen, they would ship me a new card to where I am staying in India as an emergency. And he gave me a one time credit $100 for all the inconvenience. Is that even allowed I have never heard banks offer a credit for inconvenience in chequing accounts, not once I've experienced that. Is it because I was wondering if I should transfer all the money to CIBC and asked him that?. It was strange. I am still going to move half of savings to CIBC. So it all worked out. Thanks for your help guys.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9572 posts
4774 upvotes
Markham
wonderkitty wrote: Updates. Weird experience, they gave me $100 credit lol I called that number and the wait time was 43 mins. Brutal. The CSR assured me that it was a mistake they sent a new one, so I raised concerns about possible fraud activity as @Edmontonian22 suggested, so CSR took a note of that and told me the newly sent card has the same access card number except the numbers in the back panel, and agreed to block it just in case. If something happens in 10 days if I lost access to online banking which he assured it wont happen, they would ship me a new card to where I am staying in India as an emergency. And he gave me a one time credit $100 for all the inconvenience. Is that even allowed I have never heard banks offer a credit for inconvenience in chequing accounts, not once I've experienced that. Is it because I was wondering if I should transfer all the money to CIBC and asked him that?. It was strange. I am still going to move half of savings to CIBC. So it all worked out. Thanks for your help guys.
If its their mistake, I don't think you need worry
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3634 posts
2264 upvotes
smartie wrote: If its their mistake, I don't think you need worry
If it is not your money you would not worry. If it was your hard earned cash you would be worried.