• Feb 7th, 2018 12:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1599 posts
363 upvotes

Scraped someone driving their "friend's car"

Wife slid out at a stop sign in a parking lot with a car just passing by. The driver of the car got out and when exchanging information said that this was not their car but it was their "friend's" and his car was in the shop so he borrowed it to drop his wife off at the GO train station (where this happened).

This is the information we got:
1. The driver's drivers license and phone #
2. Insurance policy of the owner

The driver of the car said he wants to handle it himself because the owner's a bit difficult to deal with. Not sure if it was an act, but my wife said he was going to call her on the spot but that she was probably still asleep so he didn't. Still a bit sketchy in my books. (edit: hearing this back, this sounds like BS cause you'd figure its something worth waking the owner up for)

I told my wife she needs to text him for the owner's contact information and also to confirm that the owner is allowing him to handle this on her behalf so he doesn't end up running off with repair money or something.

Since this is a little outside of the typical accident scenario I'm not 100% sure what to do so does anyone else have any insight?
4 replies
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
174 upvotes
Place
I would go straight to the owner rather than his "friend". I know if i do, less person to deal with
and I know I am dealing directly the owner of the car. That's just me.
Good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21732 upvotes
Center of Universe
If you are planning to settle privately, I urge you to do it with the registered owner of the vehicle.
Tell the friend that he needs to stay out of this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1599 posts
363 upvotes
Yeah, should have hit me sooner but I think we are definitely going to try and deal with the owner themselves.

The "friend" hasn't gotten back to us yet but I suppose with the owner's insurance policy, we should have enough information to be able to go through insurance if they remain unresponsive.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2884 posts
1188 upvotes
GTA
Never deal with anyone but the registered owner of the vehcile.