Automotive

Scrapping a car in Toronto ... any advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 12:20 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54624 posts
19423 upvotes
Scraping and scrapping my car tomorrow.

So are these the only things to do:
  1. write SCRAP on both side of the buyer's copy of the vehicle permit
  2. complete a dated and timed Bill of Sale with VIN, buyer and seller information, writing that says " I accept that this car is being sold for scrap/parts and is not deemed roadworthy by the seller. I agree to purchase this car "as is" and to release the seller from any liability and agree to transfer ownership to myself valid today." Dated, witnessed, signed by both seller and purchaser and other witnesses, one from my side and one from his
  3. get the new buyer to fill out that part of the registration paper that I will keep for my records + write SCRAP on both side of the buyer's (and probably my) copy of the vehicle permit
  4. Go to MTO/Service Ontario a week later, with the documents, to confirm removal of my name under the ownership
Mar 19, 2020
5 posts
2 upvotes
I had the same problem and called akr towing & scrap car removal they give me a price for it and showed up on time and removed the car for me.
before them i called a few other companies and got better prices but once they showed up they tried to get the car for much cheaper prices than what they quoted. but akr towing & scrap car removal paid me what they quoted on the phone. they also provided a bill of sale and a copy of the receipt from the scrap yard. i would highly recommend them.
here is the link for their website.
https://www.akrtowing.ca/
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12392 posts
3611 upvotes
GTA
Kavin20 wrote: I had the same problem and called akr towing & scrap car removal they give me a price for it and showed up on time and removed the car for me.
before them i called a few other companies and got better prices but once they showed up they tried to get the car for much cheaper prices than what they quoted. but akr towing & scrap car removal paid me what they quoted on the phone. they also provided a bill of sale and a copy of the receipt from the scrap yard. i would highly recommend them.
Looks legit Mr.First Time Poster :facepalm:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 11, 2011
884 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Kavin20 wrote: I had the same problem and called akr towing & scrap car removal they give me a price for it and showed up on time and removed the car for me.
I just used them today. He was at my place hooking up my car within an hour of talking on the phone. No messing with the agreed price. Recommended.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1429 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
46jimbo wrote: I just used them today. He was at my place hooking up my car within an hour of talking on the phone. No messing with the agreed price. Recommended.
I had my doubts about the first time poster as well but gave them a try today. The tow showed up on time (in less than an hour) and no haggling with the quoted price when he arrived. Sad to see my Impreza go but it was time and got $300 gas money! Another place quoted me less so no complaints.

His main concern was if the catalytic converter was original.
=============
Heatware
Mar 11, 2011
884 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
johnsmithy wrote: His main concern was if the catalytic converter was original.
He told me it's the most valuable thing on the car. He said that some of the tow drivers working for the charities grab the catalytic converter before taking the car to the wrecker. So you end up getting less for your car. It's a jungle out there!
Dec 11, 2009
361 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Well I did some reading here, and after seeing some positive reviews, I decided to give them a shot today. They are exactly as described. Answered phone right away, asked a few simple questions, and gave a me a quite over the phone. Booked an appointment and he showed up early, (in less than an hour) and paid the agreed upon price. No hassle. and really nice guy too. I had called a couple of other places before them, and got low balled for one, another didn't get back to me till late in the day (The car was already gone!)
So yes, highly recommend them for quick, no hassle, fair service.
Mar 19, 2020
5 posts
2 upvotes
check out other comments from people who used this company it is legit mr.(guru)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3591 posts
936 upvotes
johnsmithy wrote: I had my doubts about the first time poster as well but gave them a try today. The tow showed up on time (in less than an hour) and no haggling with the quoted price when he arrived. Sad to see my Impreza go but it was time and got $300 gas money! Another place quoted me less so no complaints.

His main concern was if the catalytic converter was original.
Did everything go smoothly and ownership was transferred etc?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3591 posts
936 upvotes
46jimbo wrote: I just used them today. He was at my place hooking up my car within an hour of talking on the phone. No messing with the agreed price. Recommended.
Did everything go smoothly and ownership was transferred etc?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1041 posts
10 upvotes
I'm scrapping my buddies car tomorrow with
https://scrapcarsgta.com/en/
Anyone try them?
its a 2008 Chrysler 300, and most scraps have offered 600-750 bucks.

This guy offered 1050 if he picks up and 1200 if i deliver it.

Any experience?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8225 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
Moerby wrote: The transmission on my 2000 Neon broke and I had the vehicle towed to a garage for repairs. I will know on Monday what the exact problem and cost of repairs will be.

In the meantime, I have to prepare for the worst case scenario ... which is that repairing the car is going to cost way more than what it's worth. Seems like my only option in that case would be to call one of these places that will come and pick the car up, give me a few bucks for it, and then scrap it for me.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about scrapping a vehicle, or vehicle scrapping company recommendations?

Thanks!
Check out Retire Your Ride. Essentially, you list your car with them and they shop it out to a number of scrappers. I've used it a few times over the years and have always done better than contacting scrappers directly.

You can make much more if you sell parts from the car but it takes time and energy and you still have to get rid of what's left over.
Nov 30, 2015
338 posts
403 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Jimbobs wrote: Check out Retire Your Ride. Essentially, you list your car with them and they shop it out to a number of scrappers. I've used it a few times over the years and have always done better than contacting scrappers directly.

You can make much more if you sell parts from the car but it takes time and energy and you still have to get rid of what's left over.
Good advice! The OP might be finally scrapping his 21 year old Neon after installing that $70 used tranny back in 2010 and driving it for 10 more years.