• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2021 9:54 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2079 posts
1509 upvotes

Scratched Axle Seal Surface

I noticed a slow rear diff leak and when I pulled the axle and axle seal, I noticed a few light scratches/light gouges. None goes all the through and they're not horribly deep, but I want to repair it as best as possible before putting on the new seal.

I've lightly sanded the scratches to even the surface with 1000 grit. Can I use the Ultra Copper to only fill the scratches, let it cure, sand smooth before putting in the new seal? Will this work or should I use JB?

Im guessing previous owner gouged it when he did the seal replacement and this is the cause of the leak.
Images
  • 20210314_200504.jpg
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1784 posts
1537 upvotes
The scratches look deep. The 6:00 area looks bad. The ends of the bearing even look rough, but it could be dirt.

Clean the bore.
Put automotive silicone around the outer part of the seal.
Install the seal with a proper tool. make sure the seal is straight while installing it. Make sure the spring in the seal doesn't dislodge.

Be careful when installing the axle. The axle splines can cut the seal lip if your not careful.

Let it cure for 24 hours before adding oil.
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
146 upvotes
Grease the seal and put retainers in to protect seal.
Jb weld sounds like a genius idea. Silicone will work but is unoriginal
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2079 posts
1509 upvotes
billford wrote: The scratches look deep. The 6:00 area looks bad. The ends of the bearing even look rough, but it could be dirt.

Clean the bore.
Put automotive silicone around the outer part of the seal.
Install the seal with a proper tool. make sure the seal is straight while installing it. Make sure the spring in the seal doesn't dislodge.

Be careful when installing the axle. The axle splines can cut the seal lip if your not careful.

Let it cure for 24 hours before adding oil.
6 oclock area is just grime. I only focused on cleaning up the scratched area for now.

I'll be using sil glyde. I'm going to thinly fill the scratches with RTV and let it cure before installing for the piece of mind. Really don't want to have to be doing this again.