Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11330 posts
1373 upvotes
GVR

Screen for window?

Recently moved into a new place in Vancouver, which is my first building without screens on the windows. I heard the bugs aren't as bad here (vs Toronto) and I tend to agree, but more recently I have noticed random flies getting themselves in my place.

The window/frame is APPROXIMATELY 2ft by 4ft, and also unlike previous homes the handle is attached to the window frame that pushes out. I do recall seeing at a friends place a little clasp window as part of a screen that opens to let you operate the door handle.

Do I have a standard window size that I could walk into a home depot or something and get a screen? What are my options? Never looked into this in my life :)
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9131 posts
2031 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Screen kit. Cut it to any size you need.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14695 posts
19548 upvotes
Vancouver
don242 wrote: Screen kit. Cut it to any size you need.
Yup. Home Depot will have it. Roll of screen, with the spline and pressing tool included. You'll have to buy the frame pieces and corners, cut them to size yourself with a hacksaw. Home Depot even has a help-yourself cutting station with hacksaw you can use. Don't forget the plastic spring clips that hold the screen in the window frame. And those little lifter thingies.

The problem is going to be the wicket that swings open for you to reach the window handle. I could not find any local retailer that stocks these, just wholesalers that will sell them by the box of 100. You can find them on Amazon though.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11330 posts
1373 upvotes
GVR
Kiraly wrote: Yup. Home Depot will have it. Roll of screen, with the spline and pressing tool included. You'll have to buy the frame pieces and corners, cut them to size yourself with a hacksaw. Home Depot even has a help-yourself cutting station with hacksaw you can use. Don't forget the plastic spring clips that hold the screen in the window frame. And those little lifter thingies.

The problem is going to be the wicket that swings open for you to reach the window handle. I could not find any local retailer that stocks these, just wholesalers that will sell them by the box of 100. You can find them on Amazon though.
Literally never heard of "wicket" but a google search seems to indicate that's exactly what I need!

I am renting this unit. I imagine my landlord won't want to install screen doors since they aren't already in... (brand new building/unit though...)

What you're describing sounds a bit costly and MAYBE difficult (I'm assuming measurements aren't going to need to be super super exact...?)

Thanks for the info!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11735 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
When I moved into my place before I was in the business I took my exact dimensions to a screen shop and they made me a screen to fit with proper aluminum around the outside etc. Not a window shop, a glass shop. Was cheap.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20231 posts
13550 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kaitlyn wrote: Literally never heard of "wicket" but a google search seems to indicate that's exactly what I need!

I am renting this unit. I imagine my landlord won't want to install screen doors since they aren't already in... (brand new building/unit though...)

What you're describing sounds a bit costly and MAYBE difficult (I'm assuming measurements aren't going to need to be super super exact...?)

Thanks for the info!
I would ask the landlord about the screens first. If they say no, then offer to split the cost with them and leave the screens when you leave for another place. Since the screens would be custom fit to your current windows, the screens would be worthless to you in your new place anyways as chances are they won't fit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)