Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1107 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto

Screened topsoil

Anyone know where to buy screened topsoil in bags? Getting the big bag delivered is too expensive for the amount I need so looking for it in bags. I’m in Woodbridge. I am trying to level a part of my backyard and tried it with black earth but it didn’t do much so I’ve been reading about this screened topsoil… anyone know if there’s a difference?

Thanks!
JS
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3519 posts
654 upvotes
Hamilton
The bags are so expensive. Look at getting it delivered in bulk. Just put out a tarp and get them to drop it on it for you if you are talking 2+ yards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1107 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
I probably only need a 1/2 a yard if that and delivery is over $100
JS
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1531 posts
1666 upvotes
West GTA
Definitely a difference between black earth and screened topsoil. Black earth is peat humus, decayed organic matter. Topsoil is the top of the soil, which contains mostly minerals (which provide structure) along with some organic matter. Topsoil is better for leveling. Can usually find bags of cheap topsoil somewhere, but be wary - cheap topsoil may contain weed seeds. Some things are worth paying for.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2773 posts
928 upvotes
Windsor
If you're trying to level something, the amount of dirt you need will likely be impressive. As you've seen with using back earth, a bunch of it doesn't do much.

Try to roughly measure the area and estimate the amount of dirt you need. I was relevelling an area near my gardens and it has devoured 6 yards so far, and I think I'm about half done.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1775 posts
624 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Well, if delivery is too expensive, you'll have to pick it up yourself. Perhaps rent a pickup truck from U-Haul. That should be cheaper than the $100 delivery fee you mentioned.