• Mar 12th, 2018 7:27 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
806 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto

Screw in tire advise

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a set of winters second hand.
When I got home I saw one of the tires had a screw in it.
It is close to the side wall but did not puncture all the way through.
I'm going to take it to a tire shop tomorrow and see what they say but was hoping to get some opinions.
Images
  • 20180225_135358.jpg
22 replies
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pull out the screw - is it leaking? Yes? Get it fixed, No? Don't do anything - the tire is fine :)
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
warpdwhim wrote: Pull out the screw - is it leaking? Yes? Get it fixed, No? Don't do anything - the tire is fine :)
Wow, bad advice.

OP, get it checked out. Hopefully you can get it fixed.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote: Wow, bad advice.
Why so oh great tire god?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19014 posts
7062 upvotes
Toronto
Take it to a shop and they can pull it out, test it for leaks and seal if needed.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
warpdwhim wrote: Why so oh great tire god?
Well, don't need to be a 'god' to have common sense. It's potentially quite unsafe, esp that screw of OP's, Not even flush w the tire. If it comes out, he may be in trb.

Didn't think that this needed any explaining. Like I said common senSe, but guess Not too common....But hey go ahead and be cheap if you were in OP's situation and save 35$ but potentially risk your life and others. Smh.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Feb 25th, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14212 posts
8307 upvotes
Toronto
you got screwed OP. It's too close to the sidewall to repair.

See what i did there?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
Swerny wrote: you got screwed OP. It's too close to the sidewall to repair.

See what i did there?
He *might* get lucky and it only punctured the tread. I had something similar and luckily got fixed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6427 posts
3444 upvotes
Mississauga
I had screw puncture like that before but fortunately it was in the tread and didn't affect the sidewall. Otherwise I'd be out significantly more than the $30 repair...
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
The screw appears to be at the "do not repair" area. On the other hand, the screw is at an angle and might not have punctured deep into the tire. Check it out at a tire store.

Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote: If it comes out, he may be in trb.

but potentially risk your life and others.
As I posted before - pull/unscrew it out of the tire. It's obviously been in the tire for a while as the head of the screw is flattened on one side.

Risk your life and others? Wow - talk about exaggerating things!

That's it - I'm done

/out
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
warpdwhim wrote: As I posted before - pull/unscrew it out of the tire. It's obviously been in the tire for a while as the head of the screw is flattened on one side.

Risk your life and others? Wow - talk about exaggerating things!

That's it - I'm done

/out
I said *potentially*, we dunno what's underneath. Also, OP doesn't seem prepared...Take it out and find it leaks then what? Best to have a pro look at it.

Anyway, didn't mean to come a bit hot but you did tell him some problematic advice in addition to calling me 'god' sarcastically hahaha.

Peace.
Sep 7, 2007
267 posts
120 upvotes
Woodstock
Looking at the picture, it appears that the screw has been in there for some time and it's just the tip that's in the rubber at a low angle. Are the tires on rims and is that one holding air? If so, It's likely the seller didn't even notice the screw or he would have taken it out. Whether on rims or not, the best advice would be to take it to a tire shop to check it out.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
806 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Verdict is in from the tire installer.
Screw went too close to the sidewall.
Tire cannot be repaired :(
Images
  • 20180226_134802.jpg
Jun 10, 2008
468 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
In my earlier years i worked in the tire industry for a while. If it isn't leaking I would leave it alone. Like many other have said, you've been driving around like that for a while. It is very unlikely you will have rapid air loss from this.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29124 posts
9648 upvotes
davidjames wrote: Verdict is in from the tire installer.
Screw went too close to the sidewall.
Tire cannot be repaired :(
LOL says the shop who will sell you another tyre of course...and looks like they made sure it was punctured there. Should have listened to warpdwhim, it may have been okay. I had a short screw in the same area of a tyre--realised the same thing, that it can't be repaired that far out. Instead of going to someone to puncture it worse and sell me more tyres, I simply removed it and figured it may be a slow leak, might have to top it up here and there, if it's bad then I'd have to consider replacing it. Guess what? Tyre hasn't lost any more pressure over time than any of the other three. So it was fine...in my case.

Could have been fine in your case too but no way to tell now that shop has clearly gone and stuck something in there deep enough to ensure it needs replacing!
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12309 posts
2021 upvotes
GTA
tranquility922 wrote: Wow, bad advice.

OP, get it checked out. Hopefully you can get it fixed.
you are partially wrong too. too close to sidewall cannot be properly fixed safely
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
806 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
I'll add one more thing to the situation.
My wife is 8 months pregnant with our first baby.
Not gonna risk it and I am going new.
Thankfully I contacted the seller and he refunded me my money.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
qaz393 wrote: you are partially wrong too. too close to sidewall cannot be properly fixed safely
How am I wrong? I never said it can be fixed no matter what, just to have it professionally checked out. The guy I responded to said to pull the screw out, but what if it started leaking? Didn't appear as though OP would've been prepared for that and would probably need to Jack up the car or have it towed. Better to drive to a shop to have it checked.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
davidjames wrote: I'll add one more thing to the situation.
My wife is 8 months pregnant with our first baby.
Not gonna risk it and I am going new.
Thankfully I contacted the seller and he refunded me my money.
Wow, you lucked out.... Probably a wussy wannabe 'scammer' that couldn't take the heat from a complaining buyer...Or his conscience kicked in and he didn't want to be responsible for 3 dead ppl esp a pregnant woman....Or a totally blind seller...How can he not have seen it?