Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
50 posts
Paris, ON

Screw on tire, but no through, PATCH or PLUG

the tire is functioning.
If a plug will suffice, should i do it myself? do i need to take the tire off the car to do a plug? last time I jacked my car, i scratched the bottom paint. i would rather have some professional do it. would it then be fair to pay 40 dollars for a plug?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3896 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
That is what I paid at OK tire. It was not a plug, but some sort of sealant. Happened a couple of months ago, and still works.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
50 posts
Paris, ON
bridonca wrote: That is what I paid at OK tire. It was not a plug, but some sort of sealant. Happened a couple of months ago, and still works.
my first time was a flat tire. i got it right after my car got a big repair. so the bodyshop repair it for free. although i doubt they did the repair from inside since it only took them 15 minutes.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3896 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
OK tire took the tire apart and applied the sealant from the inside. Still cost $40.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6865 posts
2661 upvotes
BC
The title says that the screw did not penetrate the tire. That is, no air loss.

So you do NOT need to get it plugged or patched.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
50 posts
Paris, ON
macnut wrote: The title says that the screw did not penetrate the tire. That is, no air loss.

So you do NOT need to get it plugged or patched.
am i risking any chances here? because i am kind of afraid that if the tire run into some bump in high speed, will it let loose the screw and cause dangerous situation?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6865 posts
2661 upvotes
BC
You haven't removed the screw yet? Then you don't know whether it has penetrated or not.

Go to a tire shop. Park on their forecourt. Remove screw. If hissing, go in and ask to get it patched.

If no hissing, spray a bit of soapy water on the area and look for bubbles. If bubbles, go in as above.

If no bubbles, drive off and buy yourself to a lottery ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Per RMA guidelines, if puncture not near shoulder then both patch and plug.

Couple of years ago sister had to get tire repaired and all the usual tire shops we buy tires from said they would plug only.

Ended up going to Canadian Tire of all places for patch and plug. Cost was like $40.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
Tire puncture repair is not $40, it is $29.95 + taxes at CT, for sedan. Not sure if that is more expensive for bigger vehicle. I would think no repair shop would dare not patching the tire, because of the potential liability.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22333 posts
2978 upvotes
slomo wrote: Tire puncture repair is not $40, it is $29.95 + taxes at CT, for sedan. Not sure if that is more expensive for bigger vehicle. I would think no repair shop would dare not patching the tire, because of the potential liability.
Don't go near a CT
Mar 5, 2009
295 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
NEVER use a plug, only as an ultimate last resort.

Plugs make the hole BIGGER, with the complicated weaves of materials in tire construction, you are increasing the chances of creating a weak point. Always have a patch done properly from the inside, hole will not be made bigger and the patch will last well past the tires life and never leak.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6865 posts
2661 upvotes
BC
Just to be absolutely clear .......

the generally approved procedure is an internal plug/patch. That is, not a patch on its own, but a mushroom-shaped combo plug and attached patch.

So forcing the metal-sheathed plug part through the hole does make the hole bigger, just like the external plug does.

But probably not to the same extent as reaming is mandatory with the external plug and discretionary with the internal plug/patch.

Dismounting a tire to examine it for internal damage is smart, so then the decision on an internal repair is already made.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)