• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 5:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2892 posts
1459 upvotes

SD card reader for iPhone

Anyone recommend one that works? I want to be able to play back videos on my iPhone from an SD card from my dash cam.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2032 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure. If it were me, I would probably buy all the available ones, test & then return
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Oct 12, 2005
349 posts
143 upvotes
Markham, ON
zzzz24 wrote: Yeah I saw that one, but I was reading online that multiple people were saying that you needed a third-party one if you’re not using files from your own Apple device
With the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, I can read pictures that are taken with my Canon Powershot camera, and import them on my iPad when I went on trips. I have had my camera stolen before and I would not leave home without my SD card reader for my iPad (or iPhone as it's compatible with both). The adapter works with videos taken on my camera as well.

Unlike before where you have to import the photos/videos into your Photos Library, you can now use iOS's Files app to copy the files from the SD card and paste them onto any of the available Locations. For example, if you have your OneDrive or Dropbox set up with the Files app, you can paste the files directly to these services.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2892 posts
1459 upvotes
chrishch wrote: With the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, I can read pictures that are taken with my Canon Powershot camera, and import them on my iPad when I went on trips. I have had my camera stolen before and I would not leave home without my SD card reader for my iPad (or iPhone as it's compatible with both). The adapter works with videos taken on my camera as well.

Unlike before where you have to import the photos/videos into your Photos Library, you can now use iOS's Files app to copy the files from the SD card and paste them onto any of the available Locations. For example, if you have your OneDrive or Dropbox set up with the Files app, you can paste the files directly to these services.
OK thanks maybe I’ll just try the Apple one first although it’s double the price of any of the third-party options and only has the one input format
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6039 posts
558 upvotes
Vancouver
Sandisk iXpand ?