[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver

Sdd Prices?

Hey

My Ssd drive that I had since around 2012 is starting to get to be too small for me(167 gb actual size) and I am looking at upgrading to a bigger size. I tried to see if I can free up anything on it or move it my backup drives but this only got my like 2GB of space back.

I don't want to spend too much money on a new SSD drive ($50ish) as it is going into an older computer that eventually I will just replace with a laptop.

I am looking at 250GB or 500GB but I am not sure what is a decent price. From what I seen I can't get a 500GB drive for the $50 range but I could get a 250GB in this range, but I am wondering if days like black Friday might bring 500GB drives down to the $60 range.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2538 posts
402 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Black Friday prices will be ok. Prices are pretty low at the moment.

This is one of the best deals around right now:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=120019

For double the price, you get 500GB. There was also a Hot Deal thread regarding it where you bought from Staples, used a filler or two to bring it up in price to use a coupon. Saved 5$ I believe to bring it to $40. Not $45.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
cyphon21 wrote: Black Friday prices will be ok. Prices are pretty low at the moment.

This is one of the best deals around right now:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=120019

For double the price, you get 500GB. There was also a Hot Deal thread regarding it where you bought from Staples, used a filler or two to bring it up in price to use a coupon. Saved 5$ I believe to bring it to $40. Not $45.
Yeah not sure what black friday will bring. If they might have 500GB for like $60-65 range.

Do you mean the hot deal is on the 250GB SDD (I was looking at this one same model so good to know I can save another $5 and get some filler on top of it).

Still not sure what to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2538 posts
402 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
xiaobao wrote: Yeah not sure what black friday will bring. If they might have 500GB for like $60-65 range.

Do you mean the hot deal is on the 250GB SDD (I was looking at this one same model so good to know I can save another $5 and get some filler on top of it).

I wouldn't go with 250GB in your case however, it seems you have a lot of data need. My personal opinion would be to wait, get both. Get a 250GB for boot, and do you have room for an additional for storage? Save up for a larger SSD for storage or just go with a WD mechanical multiple TB drive. Sorry I didn't see what kind of rig you're using.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6721 posts
3779 upvotes
Aurora
xiaobao wrote: Yeah not sure what black friday will bring. If they might have 500GB for like $60-65 range.

I would wait for Black Friday. Maybe prices will be cheaper, maybe not. But I just don't think 250Gb is enough. I've gone from 60 to 120 to 250 and now am using 500 Gb drives. IMO, 500 is a comfortable size for a system drive. Anything less and I eventually ran into space challenges. I don't see myself needing a 1 Tb system drive anytime soon, as temping as it is.