• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 4:00 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27307 upvotes

SDM computer crash means no debit transactions or points at some stores today

Shoppers Drug Mart tells CBC News it's experiencing intermittent computer system outages in stores across Canada. This may prevent customers from using their credit or debit cards to make purchases or from collecting Shoppers Optimum rewards points today.

CBC News confirmed the problem with the drug store giant after hearing complaints from customers that they were having difficulty making purchases. One person said the issue began last night.

Shoppers first told us that due to the outage, customers at affected stores can still make credit cards payments of up to $100, but can't use their debit cards at this time.

At one location in Toronto, a cashier said that the store wasn't accepting debit or credit card payments for any purchases and that customers could only pay cash.

When we asked the company about the situation, it said the the cashier was wrong and that customers can now use their credit cards for purchases of up to $300.

"This is an evolving issue and as such the information is being updated on an ongoing basis," said spokesperson Tammy Smitham in an email to CBC News.

Customers at affected stores also won't be able to collect their Optimum points on purchases. Shoppers said once its system is restored, those missing points can be added to customer accounts.

Shoppers operates more than 1,300 drug stores across Canada. The retailer said it's IT team is "working diligently" to fix the computer glitch.

"We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers and we hope to have the situation resolved shortly," said Smitham.

She added that all Shoppers stores continue to remain open and that customers can still get their prescriptions filled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shopper ... -1.4034194
Last edited by Guest4727381 on Mar 21st, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20234 posts
4180 upvotes
Poormond Hill
No!!!! Today they offer me 18,500 points for spending $75!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5607 posts
2223 upvotes
the system is still down due to a computer upgrade that didn't work
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shopper ... -1.4034194

wow, yesterday my store's debit was down so they got a double-whammy.

sandikosh, Shoppers is excellent at fixing up points glitches so I would just go ahead and shop with cash. You'll certainly get your points.
Jun 13, 2015
217 posts
250 upvotes
Montr
Went to Pharmaprix today and only cash and they wouldn't take my Optimum card. Website says the whole system is down. How can we get our optimum points that we deserve?
May 28, 2012
10217 posts
2382 upvotes
Saskatoon
It was cash-only as well. The cashier said the system has been down since yesterday afternoon. There was a notice posted about keeping your receipt and getting it inputted later (within a certain time frame). Can't remember if it said at the store or to phone in.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4018 posts
642 upvotes
Richmond
this proves that cash is still king. reader down? no problem cash will work! This why I carry a stash of cash just for these types of situations
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4018 posts
642 upvotes
Richmond
Same thing happened at my local rcss yesterday. Cash only then I think offline authentication was enabled, so some credit worked. TD cards were very YMMV. All others worked. Interac requires online so debit was down.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7585 posts
1350 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 2:04 am
Same thing happened at my local rcss yesterday. Cash only then I think offline authentication was enabled, so some credit worked. TD cards were very YMMV. All others worked. Interac requires online so debit was down.
Why did you bump a SDM thread when it's clearly a loblaws issue and it does not affect SDM.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3006 posts
463 upvotes
I have been at both Loblaws and SDM when each store had the same issue (a few times) so perhaps bluebellrose was just warning people that it could happen.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4018 posts
642 upvotes
Richmond
EPcjay wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 12:12 pm
Why did you bump a SDM thread when it's clearly a loblaws issue and it does not affect SDM.
if sdm uses global payments as their payment processer then it will affect sdm.

depending on what sdm uses they were affected as well. And they probably use the same payment processer so sdm is also affected.

trying to warn people to have a backup credit card with them when it happens again. Make sure that it isn't td. And to carry enough cash with them. It may happen again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7585 posts
1350 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 11:56 am
if sdm uses global payments as their payment processer then it will affect sdm.

depending on what sdm uses they were affected as well. And they probably use the same payment processer so sdm is also affected.

trying to warn people to have a backup credit card with them when it happens again. Make sure that it isn't td. And to carry enough cash with them. It may happen again.
Loblaws credit issues were on the news 3 days ago, and did not mention shoppers drug mart. Loblaws and its sub brands use to same POS system, however SDM has its own. Don't think it's related? I also dont think loblaws was affected when SDM went down.

http://www.cp24.com/news/several-loblaw ... -1.3383291