Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Kicking Horse "Kick Ass" Organic Free Trade Whole Bean Coffee 1lb $2.99 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2016 1:30 pm
Nov 7, 2013
601 posts
189 upvotes
the 604

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Kicking Horse "Kick Ass" Organic Free Trade Whole Bean Coffee 1lb $2.99 YMMV

wandered into the SDM at High Gate in Burnaby, out of coffee beans. expecting the typically woeful and somewhat over-priced selection at SDM, came across 1lb bags of Kicking Horse's "Kick Ass" Roast.

regular price: $17.99
on sale for $12.99
plus TWO red store coupons for $5 off

didn't know if this was $5 off the $17.99, or maybe the second sticker was a mistake and it would clock in at $12.99. took one to the cashier, who confirmed it would be $2.99, using both stickers. expiry date on the bag is FEB 14 16, but i'll burn through this in about two weeks, which is about right for this quantity.
34 replies
Dec 24, 2011
891 posts
634 upvotes
Expiry date for coffee beans really doesn't mean much besides how old it is. A month or two before or after the date will taste the same.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
AMRadio wrote: ...
plus TWO red store coupons for $5 off
Man...I'm so out of touch....WTH is a 'red store' copuon? Target? What's a Red Store?
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Feb 25, 2009
642 posts
345 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote: Man...I'm so out of touch....WTH is a 'red store' copuon? Target? What's a Red Store?
I am wondering the same thing! Anything cheaper than 12.99 for this coffee is pretty good, so would like to know how I can obtain this coupon...thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
oskai wrote: I am wondering the same thing! Anything cheaper than 12.99 for this coffee is pretty good, so would like to know how I can obtain this coupon...thanks!
it's a manager coupon in store they apply to near expiry items so it's very much YMMV. I never seen two on one product before, even one at $5 seems unusually high unless it's already past due.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Good price on a great coffee!
Aug 25, 2006
927 posts
477 upvotes
great price but for sure YMMV due to red coupon thing...snap them up quickly...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Well without the coupon that's pretty much regular price at Loblaws I think.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
11.99 at my local sdm.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
2660 posts
3149 upvotes
Toronto, ON
good deal with the $5 off coupon, but where can i get the red something coupons? :o
Nov 7, 2013
601 posts
189 upvotes
the 604
Smartchen wrote: good deal with the $5 off coupon, but where can i get the red something coupons? :o
they'll be stuck on the bag

here's the magic:

Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
evoviii wrote: it's a manager coupon in store they apply to near expiry items so it's very much YMMV...
never heard of..or seen this.

pics?
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
It's just a reduced sticker they put on all clearance items. Good score!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
bubble.tea wrote: never heard of..or seen this.

pics?
When I happen to see one i'll take a pic

datacat wrote: It's just a reduced sticker they put on all clearance items. Good score!
I think it's an error that there was two. Even at my Superstore with yogurt expiring tomorrow it's only 30% off.
Mar 21, 2007
110 posts
19 upvotes
Burnaby
Yeah it's just product at the end of its shelf life reduced to clear. I just burned through 6 bags of president's choice Sumatran and Columbia coffee from our local SDM for $1.50 a bag. Very hard to come by.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
northgraves wrote: I just bought 20 pounds ....
TJ/
intrigued...so....where the HELL do you store 20lbs of coffee? lol??? Dedicated bar fridge/freezer? That's nuts. Shipped 20lbs comes out to that much? I'm intrigued. Only problem is I'd like to try different varieties they have before committing to that much of ONE type. Can you mixnmatch? What's the price diff if you're ordering minimal qty's?

Do they only sell fair trade?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1997 posts
1190 upvotes
Regina
ToniCipriani wrote: Well without the coupon that's pretty much regular price at Loblaws I think.
I believe superstore usually has the coffee for $15 on sale for 12.99. "Loblaws" also owns Shoppers.
Sep 18, 2014
33 posts
12 upvotes
BC
evoviii wrote: I think it's an error that there was two. Even at my Superstore with yogurt expiring tomorrow it's only 30% off.
Superstore sadly no longer gives discounts higher than 30%.

I've gotten, and seen things with two stickers from Shoppers before, but it's rare, and I think it depends on how much the store wants to get rid of something, as it's dependent on the store/manager.
Jul 5, 2005
193 posts
49 upvotes
Windsor
bubble.tea wrote: TJ/
intrigued...so....where the HELL do you store 20lbs of coffee? lol??? Dedicated bar fridge/freezer? That's nuts. Shipped 20lbs comes out to that much? I'm intrigued. Only problem is I'd like to try different varieties they have before committing to that much of ONE type. Can you mixnmatch? What's the price diff if you're ordering minimal qty's?

Do they only sell fair trade?
Green coffee beans can EASILY sit for a year at room temperature (always avoid exposure to sun) but in reality much much longer without losing any "freshness" as the internal chemical reactions are started during roasting. Apparently coffee loses most of its freshness within 10 days from the time of roasting meaning that store bought coffee is never fresh regardless of packaging/storage.

And speaking of roasting at home if you are interested in roasting your own coffee beans and don't want to dish out $420+ on the suggested roaster you can get a very inexpensive hot air popcorn maker for approx. $20-$25. It's really easy and fast.

Check out these vids. for more info:

Green coffee storage

Roasting at home

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)