Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Kobo Mini $25 - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2014 4:03 pm
Aug 22, 2012
201 posts
111 upvotes
East Van

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Kobo Mini $25 - YMMV

Saw the Kobo Mini on clearance from $49.99 to $25 at the local SDM @ Pender/Bute in Vancouver.

There was one on the shelf behind the cashiers, not sure if there's more in the back?
Just thought I'll share, probably not to everyone's liking.

Good luck to those that are interested!
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
pretty hot, i just got a new ereader at Xmas so don't need one, but good deal, thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Mother of pearl, that is a great price. I got my Mini for $40 at Staples nearly a year ago and thought that was a good deal. I just did a Kijiji search in my area and nobody is selling their Mini for less than $40.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Kobo doesn't have warranty. Realistically speaking. Just a word of warning
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
The device is $25 (if you can get it at that price) and could be considered virtually disposable. Buying a book at Chapters or other bookstore these days can be $15. If you've read two free e-books (there are plenty of public domain e-books out there, or you can check them out for free from your local library) and suddenly the Kobo Mini konks out on you, you're already ahead of the game.

If my Kobo Mini died, I would run out and get another one immediately. My only gripe with Kobo Inc. is that I wish they would release a Mini Glo since I'd love to be able to read in bed without turning on a light but want the small size of the Mini!
Banned
Dec 17, 2013
32 posts
4 upvotes
Cancun
they are ringing up as $49.99 at my shoppers .. maybe it just a store dependent deal
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
very good price, before i bought mine at 40 people said the screen might be small....well after reading a dozen books on it, i think the screen size is just fine. 25 dollars is a killer deal.
Jan 6, 2007
18 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
cheaprob wrote: Saw the Kobo Mini on clearance from $49.99 to $25 at the local SDM @ Pender/Bute in Vancouver.

There was one on the shelf behind the cashiers, not sure if there's more in the back?
Just thought I'll share, probably not to everyone's liking.

Good luck to those that are interested!
Hi, can you post a copy of your bill? I will try and get a price match

Thank you :)
Aug 22, 2012
201 posts
111 upvotes
East Van
I didn't buy one, I noticed it while I was paying for my stuff..

I went back just now trying to snap a picture, but they are sold out..
I'm sure they can call the Pender/Bute location to verify the price.
Banned
Dec 17, 2013
32 posts
4 upvotes
Cancun
yeah one of the associates told me that every shoppers has different prices on certain items dependant on the owner. This is also stated that prices vary from location to location in their flyer. Knowing that they dont price match and their rebuttal is that they offer rewards and points day instead... might be impossible to get a price match. Ive checked a few stores all come out at 56.99 or something after tax.
Aug 19, 2013
43 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Yay! I managed to pick one up.
Dec 25, 2008
69 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Taipei wrote: Yay! I managed to pick one up.
Did you get it from that location, or another in Vancouver? And were there any left? Thanks :)
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
sprung wrote: I'm not sure what that means.

Online I found their 1 year warranty statement for Canada/USA

http://download.kobobooks.com/magento/u ... y_caus.pdf

He said "realistically speaking. That means their warranty is a "crap shoot", YMMV, etc if you actually need to make use of that warranty. A friend had a Kobo Touch that froze on him and essentially became a paperweight. He tried everything to "reset it". He went through tech support at kobo, which dragged him things to try for about 2 months, such as "fully charge it and wait a month for it to discharge" etc. After 2 months he demanded a replacement, and again they sent him through loops trying to get a replacement. Took him about 10 calls and 2 weeks just to get an RMA, endless excuses and nonsense why they couldn't just give him an RMA so he can get his in-warranty replacement. It's like they were waiting for the 1 year warranty to elapse. The hardware failure they had even noted is a common occurrence and requires a replacement unit, but yet they had him jumping hoops to get to that point.

So about 2.5 months later he got his replacement which was DOA of course. More hoops and he finally got a refurbished replacement unit from them that only would hold 1/3rd a battery charge. Guess he should be happy it at least works.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Interesting, I checked online for reviews on Kobos and warranty, and it's pretty pathetic. Better hope you get a good one, but I guess at $25 it certainly isnt worth mailing back for warranty work.
Nov 3, 2009
448 posts
240 upvotes
Winnipeg
tried a couple of shoppers in wpg, as well as calling several more. none appear to be in stock anywhere. bummer, heading to the beach soon and would have liked an epaper reader instead of the ipad for outdoors...
Dec 10, 2004
243 posts
378 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a dead Kobo mini with a broken usb port that is a year old. I took it apart and found that the port is not soldered that well to the board. Googling "kobo loose usb port" resulted in a lot of people with similar problems across most of the Kobo line. Be care that yout insert the plug the right way and be gentle when plugging it in.
Aug 19, 2013
43 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Did buy it in Van at the OP location. Think they only had one.