Shopping Discussion

SDM Point Offer Issue, looking for advice. I’m an idiot and clearly can’t read.

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 5:45 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
811 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver

SDM Point Offer Issue, looking for advice. I’m an idiot and clearly can’t read.

Hi everyone,

I’m going to start off with saying I know I’m the idiot here. In the end it is what it is and I’ll take whatever the result is, but I don’t expect anyone to be as wise about these things as everyone is here.

So I wanted to get an Xbox one x console. I wasn’t available to go shopping during last weeks 20x event, however I got another offer that looked to be just as good, 15,000 points for a $50 spend. I couldn’t justify the console at full price, but at $120 off, it’s a no brainer.

In my stress addled brain I did not fully comprehend the offer. That it wasn’t 15,000 per $50, but 15,000 flat.

Again I know this is my fault, however because of my COVID precautions I did not notice my obvious screw up before I left the store. Because the easiest solution would be to return the console and just rebuy it, I haven’t even opened the box. But I can’t.

I tried calling and emailing the points department and see if they could help but I got nowhere. After spending about an hour talking to different departments I basically was told to call the manager but my anxiety was done for the day and I figured I’d call Friday.

Before I call in the morning, I would love any tips or suggestions that might work out for me. The shoppers I can get to (I don’t drive and got lucky to get a ride earlier this week) doesn’t have the X in stock. All I’m wanting to do is process a return and rebuy it as the sale is still on. I was going to suggest I could cut off the barcode and take that, but I just don’t know what to do.

In the end I’ll probably still keep it, but at the same time I just am kicking myself. Right now was not the time to take a $100 L.

Thanks in advance. And please feel free to call me whatever names. I know I’m beyond stupid.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15189 posts
12344 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lol, usually I might rattle someone’s chain on making such an error
(Not carefully reading the fine print / T&Cs )

BUT ... seeing as you’ve been so honest in your post
And not making excuses ... just saying you were overwhelmed by all this Covid Crap
I am not gonna rain on your parade

(BTW ... honesty is refreshing ... not enough RFDers are when they post ... too many like to put the blame on someone else )

Truth is ... ya gotta go back to the store you bought it at
Stock is different at every store
And in my experience SDM won’t do a refund / exchange at just any store
Gotta be the one where you bought / got it

Start with a Cashier ...
Explain the situation
“Want to return this ... and buy again to take advantage of a SDM Offer I have now”

Be polite, be nice.
If you can get it done with the cashier ... all the better

Otherwise, talk to the store manager.
Again be polite, be nice.
Explain you screwed up.

It is possible, they may still push back / say no
SDM can be quirky about Electronics & Tech Return.
So make sure you are really really clear ... it’s a points issue
That’s why you are doing the return
You misunderstood the offer
AND ... you are going to rebuy the same unit IMMEDIATELY ... so no risk to the store taking on an item that has been opened etc.

This last bit is esp important in light of Covid
Lots of stores are suspending / refusing returns cuz of it

Last Resort ... IF SDM won’t take it back.
Then consider selling the unit privately.
Lots of RFDers flip electronics & tech they buy @ SDM.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
811 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you for everything.

I called and laid out my case to the manager at the store I bought it from. I explained all of my mistakes and explained that I would understand if she wouldn’t do anything.

And....

Thank god she was like sure we’ll make an exception. I cut off the barcode, brought it with me to the store. Refund and repurchase, went through and I now have a beautiful justification for my purchase in my account.

Thank you for helping put my kind at ease. I might not have had then confidence to even call, I was feeling like absolute crap.

Thank you. I really mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Jan 17, 2013
660 posts
255 upvotes
andsoitgoes wrote: Thank you for everything.

I called and laid out my case to the manager at the store I bought it from. I explained all of my mistakes and explained that I would understand if she wouldn’t do anything.

And....

Thank god she was like sure we’ll make an exception. I cut off the barcode, brought it with me to the store. Refund and repurchase, went through and I now have a beautiful justification for my purchase in my account.

Thank you for helping put my kind at ease. I might not have had then confidence to even call, I was feeling like absolute crap.

Which SDM store is this? This particular location is a good place to shop since the manager is so customer oriented.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15189 posts
12344 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
andsoitgoes wrote: Thank you for everything.

And....

So happy it went well for you.
(As it seems so are many other RFDers ... 10 Thumbs Up to your thank you / update so far)

Hope you’ll stick around in the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM
You’ll find us all hanging out in the RFD Ongoing Annual PCO thread
pc-optimum-discussion-thread-2020-2348789/

Where we share info, tips & tricks to getting the most out of the PCO Program