SDM - SHOPPERS DRUG MART - Optimum Points - SCAM - CAVEAT EMPTOR
- Cancel your SDM Optimum Card and boycott SDM to protect your rights as a consumer in the Province of Ontario.
- Choose whether you want to continue shopping with SDM an organization that uses deceptive business practices
- Consider using their competitors for your purchase decisions (ie. Walmart, PharmaPlus, Rexall or any independent pharmacist etc)
1. The SDM T&C revised return policy currently only available at their website enables SDM to refuse to return products without a "physical" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Card present.
[INDENT][/INDENT]http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/ ... index.html
2. The T&C of the Shoppers Optimum Program does not specify this when you sign up for the Shoppers Optimum Program (revised as of July 1 2010)
[INDENT]http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Shop ... px?lang=en[/INDENT]
3. Despite having the original receipt & credit card & filled out the completed refund voucher, within the 30 day window I was repeated denied my refund because I did not have a PHYSICAL Optimum Card in my hand. The amount of refund was for $100. Note: I had the Member Number as well as the original T&C reference sheet enrollment form which the card was attached to. This requirement mandating a physical card is not listed on their physical T&C. After a 10 minute argument with the store manager SDM #898 @ Bayview they refunded my credit card. Having just received this card less than 3 weeks ago I have never used/redeemed the points. They kept demanding that I state the card was lost.
4. Section 16 states that the refund can occur with/without the Shoppers Optimum card being present. This is confirmed on their website.
16. Returns and/or exchanges will be honoured only if the original cash register receipt is presented at the time of the return and/or exchange. On a return and/or exchange the Shoppers Optimum Points will be deducted automatically from the Shoppers Optimum Member’s card number that was used for the original purchase (whether or not the Shoppers Optimum Card is presented at the time of return and/or exchange). The Shoppers Optimum Member will be reimbursed for the purchase price shown on the receipt of the item(s) returned. Upon the return and/or exchange of purchases earned through the redemption of Shoppers Optimum Points, all redeemed Shoppers Optimum Points will be forfeited and the Member will receive the full value of the returned product in the form of a Shoppers Drug Mart-branded gift card. Where a return and/or refund transaction is conducted through a program partner, the Shoppers Optimum Member’s points balance will be reduced by the equivalent amount of points issued on the original transaction.
5. However this is contradicted by the online T&C of SDM [INDENT][/INDENT]Have your Shoppers Optimum Card™ readily available if the Card was used in original purchase. which forces you to have the card present. This is not available to customers in the retail location nor is it available in writing when requested at the retail location or when you call 1-800-SHOPPERS. You are forced to go to their website and look for this. Note my call to SDM rep (Chad) had great difficulty in locating this. But identified this as a significant legal issue that he had taken many calls from customers about. [INDENT][/INDENT]http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/ ... index.html
1. SDM is non-compliant with existing credit card merchant services agreements. Mastercard Merchant Services Agreement & Mastercard RULES (guidelines) I am sure this is also applicable to Visa & Amex customers as well. I am surprised they do not know these legal requirements considering the SDM MBNA Mastercard branding - see the respective T&C pdf which stipulate the rights of a Mastercard customer.
http://www.mastercard.com/ca/wce/PDF/Ma ... s_2009.pdf
http://www.mastercard.com/ca/merchant/e ... rules.html
SDM refund policy is non compliant with the Merchant Acceptance Procedures and Special Transaction Types (section3.31.4) stipulated in the Mastercard services agreement. This includes section (3.31.9 Additional Processing Notes - Proper Disclosure of Refund Policy which they have violated proper disclosure of refund policy) There are no restrictive covenants which force a customer to provide an additional loyalty card to process a refund. This means that SDM must furnish their policy on refunds or returns in WRITING (as subscribed to by their Merchant agreement) as well as get full consent of their customer. Note the back of the receipt does not state this restrictive covenant.
2. SDM is clearly unaware that their policy means that ANY MASTERCARD customer or competing merchant can contact Mastercard and request in writing a review of the noncompliance. This request will cost SDM $500 for each instance (see Mastercard s.22.214.171.124 Review Process) (**HINT HINT - if shoppers has refused your refund because of this - contact your credit card company and request in writing that a charge back occurs and stipulate in writing the reason). Hopefully someone @ SDM legal will get the message and fix this non-sense.
3. SDM policy and proceedures (T&C refund process) are in "Conflict with Law" as such the policy unambiguously prohibited by applicable law or regulation and violate several Provincial and Federal Statutes including.
- [INDENT][/INDENT]Ontario's Provincial Legislation - Consumer Protection Act, 2002 S.O. 2002, CHAPTER 30 Schedule A. (see Unfair Practices, s14 False, misleading or deceptive representation)
- [INDENT][/INDENT]Federal Legislation - Bank Act, S.C. 1991, c. 46 (see Disclosure in credit card applications, s.570 Additional Disclosure)