Shopping Discussion

SDM - SHOPPERS DRUG MART - Optimum Points - SCAM - CAVEAT EMPTOR

[OP]
Jun 15, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

SDM - SHOPPERS DRUG MART - Optimum Points - SCAM - CAVEAT EMPTOR

re: SCAM - Shoppers Drug Mart (SDM) Optimum - T&C / Return Policy - CAVEAT EMPTOR

Recommendation

1. Cancel your SDM Optimum Card and boycott SDM to protect your rights as a consumer in the Province of Ontario.
  2. Choose whether you want to continue shopping with SDM an organization that uses deceptive business practices
  3. Consider using their competitors for your purchase decisions (ie. Walmart, PharmaPlus, Rexall or any independent pharmacist etc)
ISSUE

1. The SDM T&C revised return policy currently only available at their website enables SDM to refuse to return products without a "physical" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Card present.

[INDENT][/INDENT]http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/ ... index.html

2. The T&C of the Shoppers Optimum Program does not specify this when you sign up for the Shoppers Optimum Program (revised as of July 1 2010)
[INDENT]http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Shop ... px?lang=en[/INDENT]

3. Despite having the original receipt & credit card & filled out the completed refund voucher, within the 30 day window I was repeated denied my refund because I did not have a PHYSICAL Optimum Card in my hand. The amount of refund was for $100. Note: I had the Member Number as well as the original T&C reference sheet enrollment form which the card was attached to. This requirement mandating a physical card is not listed on their physical T&C. After a 10 minute argument with the store manager SDM #898 @ Bayview they refunded my credit card. Having just received this card less than 3 weeks ago I have never used/redeemed the points. They kept demanding that I state the card was lost.

4. Section 16 states that the refund can occur with/without the Shoppers Optimum card being present. This is confirmed on their website.
16. Returns and/or exchanges will be honoured only if the original cash register receipt is presented at the time of the return and/or exchange. On a return and/or exchange the Shoppers Optimum Points will be deducted automatically from the Shoppers Optimum Member’s card number that was used for the original purchase (whether or not the Shoppers Optimum Card is presented at the time of return and/or exchange). The Shoppers Optimum Member will be reimbursed for the purchase price shown on the receipt of the item(s) returned. Upon the return and/or exchange of purchases earned through the redemption of Shoppers Optimum Points, all redeemed Shoppers Optimum Points will be forfeited and the Member will receive the full value of the returned product in the form of a Shoppers Drug Mart-branded gift card. Where a return and/or refund transaction is conducted through a program partner, the Shoppers Optimum Member’s points balance will be reduced by the equivalent amount of points issued on the original transaction.

5. However this is contradicted by the online T&C of SDM [INDENT][/INDENT]Have your Shoppers Optimum Card™ readily available if the Card was used in original purchase. which forces you to have the card present. This is not available to customers in the retail location nor is it available in writing when requested at the retail location or when you call 1-800-SHOPPERS. You are forced to go to their website and look for this. Note my call to SDM rep (Chad) had great difficulty in locating this. But identified this as a significant legal issue that he had taken many calls from customers about. [INDENT][/INDENT]http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/ ... index.html

NON-Compliance

1. SDM is non-compliant with existing credit card merchant services agreements. Mastercard Merchant Services Agreement & Mastercard RULES (guidelines) I am sure this is also applicable to Visa & Amex customers as well. I am surprised they do not know these legal requirements considering the SDM MBNA Mastercard branding - see the respective T&C pdf which stipulate the rights of a Mastercard customer.

http://www.mastercard.com/ca/wce/PDF/Ma ... s_2009.pdf
http://www.mastercard.com/ca/merchant/e ... rules.html

SDM refund policy is non compliant with the Merchant Acceptance Procedures and Special Transaction Types (section3.31.4) stipulated in the Mastercard services agreement. This includes section (3.31.9 Additional Processing Notes - Proper Disclosure of Refund Policy which they have violated proper disclosure of refund policy) There are no restrictive covenants which force a customer to provide an additional loyalty card to process a refund. This means that SDM must furnish their policy on refunds or returns in WRITING (as subscribed to by their Merchant agreement) as well as get full consent of their customer. Note the back of the receipt does not state this restrictive covenant.

2. SDM is clearly unaware that their policy means that ANY MASTERCARD customer or competing merchant can contact Mastercard and request in writing a review of the noncompliance. This request will cost SDM $500 for each instance (see Mastercard s.3.1.2.4 Review Process) (**HINT HINT - if shoppers has refused your refund because of this - contact your credit card company and request in writing that a charge back occurs and stipulate in writing the reason). Hopefully someone @ SDM legal will get the message and fix this non-sense.

3. SDM policy and proceedures (T&C refund process) are in "Conflict with Law" as such the policy unambiguously prohibited by applicable law or regulation and violate several Provincial and Federal Statutes including.
  • [INDENT][/INDENT]Ontario's Provincial Legislation - Consumer Protection Act, 2002 S.O. 2002, CHAPTER 30 Schedule A. (see Unfair Practices, s14 False, misleading or deceptive representation)

• [INDENT][/INDENT]Federal Legislation - Bank Act, S.C. 1991, c. 46 (see Disclosure in credit card applications, s.570 Additional Disclosure)
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8244 posts
1783 upvotes
Toronto
Or you can just bring in your SDM card when you return the item.
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
To OP...just don't use your optimum card then, and you will never have a problem returning something.

Here's my question though...on the website it says:

SHOPPERS OPTIMUM™

Shoppers Optimum Bonus Points™ that were awarded in the original purchase will be adjusted at a later date.
Shoppers Optimum Points™ will be deducted automatically from the Shoppers Optimum™ Member's card number that was used for the original purchase (whether or not the Shoppers Optimum™ Card is presented at the time of return and/or exchange). Upon the return and/or exchange of purchases earned through the redemption of Shoppers Optimum Points™, all redeemed Shoppers Optimum Points™ will be forfeited. Where a return and/or refund transaction is conducted through a program partner, the Shoppers Optimum™ Member's points balance will be reduced by the equivalent amount of points issued on the original transaction.

PAY WITH POINTS™

Shoppers Optimum™ Points used to pay for product will be returned if receipt is presented at time of return and within the 30 day timeframe

The first paragraph states that if you return an item you forfeit your points used to purchase the item, and the second paragraph says that when you return an item purchased with points, you get the points back. Am I reading one of those wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6829 posts
338 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm lazy tonight but what is OP complaining about? Did I read it right as I just skimmed the first paragraph but what's with the big fuss on returning with no optimum card? They need the card to take back the points!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
62 upvotes
Burlington
They should just take the reward out of your refund like Canadian Tire does if you don't bring the CT money with you to do a return.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8415 posts
2092 upvotes
Not even that, after he cried they gave it to him anyway "After a 10 minute argument with the store manager SDM #898 @ Bayview they refunded my credit card"

uh scam??
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
117 upvotes
Sudbury
zoro69 wrote: Not even that, after he cried they gave it to him anyway "After a 10 minute argument with the store manager SDM #898 @ Bayview they refunded my credit card"

uh scam??
At least they didn't call it a bait and switch.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Jan 11, 2009
117 posts
5 upvotes
Oro Station, ON
boldandconfident wrote: re: SCAM - Shoppers Drug Mart (SDM) Optimum - T&C / Return Policy - CAVEAT EMPTOR

Recommendation

1. Cancel your SDM Optimum Card and boycott SDM to protect your rights as a consumer in the Province of Ontario.
  2. Choose whether you want to continue shopping with SDM an organization that uses deceptive business practices
  3. Consider using their competitors for your purchase decisions (ie. Walmart, PharmaPlus, Rexall or any independent pharmacist etc)

Two problems - if you know SDMs Mission statement - they were designed to target middle - upper class Canadians - they will bring "lower class" in with their sales, but they are not their prime target market - therefore WalMart is not a competitor.

Also - how do you make purchases from a pharmacist (a person) - I am a pharmacist, but I do not have shampoo and toothpaste hanging from my body, you can make your purchases from a pharmaCY.

And like others have said - you seem to have been given what you wanted, albeit with an "argument" - so what's the problem?
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
64 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: Not even that, after he cried they gave it to him anyway "After a 10 minute argument with the store manager SDM #898 @ Bayview they refunded my credit card"

uh scam??

How did you determine the OP is male? From my experience, the majority of Shoppers' customers were female...

Malibu85 wrote: Two problems - if you know SDMs Mission statement - they were designed to target middle - upper class Canadians - they will bring "lower class" in with their sales, but they are not their prime target market - therefore WalMart is not a competitor.
Well I think the idea the OP is trying to communicate is to take your business elsewhere, not necessarily to their direct or prme competitor.

And Wal-Mart absolutely is a competitor to Shoppers, and there are plenty of upper-income people shop there all the time, just as Shoppers' has a cross-section of customers who are lower-income.
Malibu85 wrote: Also - how do you make purchases from a pharmacist (a person) - I am a pharmacist, but I do not have shampoo and toothpaste hanging from my body, you can make your purchases from a pharmaCY.
"Independent pharmacist" can refer to the business, not just a person, just like "independent grocer" refers to the grocery store.
Sep 12, 2010
6 posts
ontario
Maybe, if SDM allowed points to be taken away manually (keying in a card number), errors are more likely to be made. And disputes could arise. Having the physical card prevents this. One must always try to think of "the other side of the coin", the retailers side, which is usually just trying to prevent errors, abuses, and security issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8415 posts
2092 upvotes
HoleyMoley wrote: How did you determine the OP is male? From my experience, the majority of Shoppers' customers were female...

Well I think the idea the OP is trying to communicate is to take your business elsewhere, not necessarily to their direct or prme competitor.
From my experience aggressive rfd ops with crazy rants are more likely to be male. I'd bet this $100 item being returned came from SDM electronic dept last 20x day

But really what is the problem? If you manage to have our card with you when you make the purchase, how hard is it to have the card when you know you are making a trip for the purpose of returning? Had to have the item, receipt, credit card...why on earth wouldn't you have the SDM card you know you got point son while buying?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14280 posts
1156 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: ..why on earth wouldn't you have the SDM card you know you got point son while buying?

Because OP was trying to scam SDM
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1313 posts
93 upvotes
Anathem wrote: They should just take the reward out of your refund like Canadian Tire does if you don't bring the CT money with you to do a return.
What does SDM do when you return an item and have your SDM Optimum account at zero? (ie you redeemed all your points but decided to return an item that gave you the points in the first place.)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2738 posts
365 upvotes
Newmarket
Kenneth wrote: What does SDM do when you return an item and have your SDM Optimum account at zero? (ie you redeemed all your points but decided to return an item that gave you the points in the first place.)

i assume you'll have a negative balance and next time you use your card, it'll slowly crawl back into positive
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2005 posts
213 upvotes
Lol stop trying to scam SDM it's embarrassing.