• Feb 15th, 2020 8:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2850 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto

Sea-Hi Chinese Food -- Closing

The food was terrible and they managed to have a menu where every single item they served was brown coloured. I do not understand the lamenting of the end of an era from this place closing. I for one, will not miss a place where 45 years of cigarette smoke is baked into the walls.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/0 ... o-closing/
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15052 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
A few years ago, (4 or so years) the food on delivery was actually pretty good. Not sure about current day.
Up until February 10th 2020 they were in full denial insisting that the lease is still being negotiated.
Sad to see it gone for good at the end of February.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Feb 12th, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8474 posts
3630 upvotes
Markham
The one pic on that site reminds me of that reality show "Quon dynasty" in Edmonton.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 5, 2007
475 posts
126 upvotes
Mississauga
Prob era cause long restaurant history. Also, it's chop suey. It's not meant to be authentic chinese food
May 30, 2010
776 posts
337 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: The one pic on that site reminds me of that reality show "Quon dynasty" in Edmonton.
Hey, don't knock Amy. She is a great lady. If you ever get a chance, go to Scotia Place food court in Edmonton on a weekday lunch time and get the Amy's chicken combo from Chicken for Lunch. Just be prepared for the long line up.
Jun 14, 2017
750 posts
671 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: Hey, don't knock Amy. She is a great lady. If you ever get a chance, go to Scotia Place food court in Edmonton on a weekday lunch time and get the Amy's chicken combo from Chicken for Lunch. Just be prepared for the long line up.
You mean the "crack chicken" ? lol
May 30, 2010
776 posts
337 upvotes
MJISGOAT wrote: You mean the "crack chicken" ? lol
yes, that one, and Thursday's is curry chicken combo day, with the crack chicken. If you go to The Lingnan (their restaurant), it's not on the menu, but you can ask if they have a batch they can make for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1256 posts
404 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I have never seen any more than 1-2 cars in the parking lot, in fact, most of the time it was empty. Maybe they made all their money on Sat. night but I can't believe they've stayed open all these years.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15052 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I have never seen any more than 1-2 cars in the parking lot, in fact, most of the time it was empty. Maybe they made all their money on Sat. night but I can't believe they've stayed open all these years.
If this were a good 4 or so years ago, I'd tell you that I'm one of the home delivery customers, but as of recent years I discovered closer places to my home for less money and still good food.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12810 posts
7056 upvotes
Toronto
lol, just reading the comments from the article

Snowflakes will blame this on racism and the corona virus
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8474 posts
3630 upvotes
Markham
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I have never seen any more than 1-2 cars in the parking lot, in fact, most of the time it was empty. Maybe they made all their money on Sat. night but I can't believe they've stayed open all these years.
playnicee1 wrote: If this were a good 4 or so years ago, I'd tell you that I'm one of the home delivery customers, but as of recent years I discovered closer places to my home for less money and still good food.
"Dine in" business is much tougher business as overheads are high....not sure how old the owners are but if they re-opened as take out and delivery I'm sure they would do OK as they likely have an established base.
Almost anywhere you go in the city, there are these Chinese/Canadian take out/delivery businesses...they usually open around 4ish and close at midnight or like 1AM on Fri/Sat.

A couple of reasons for "closures" of these long time businesses.

Getting cooks in these businesses (Chinese/Canadian take out/delivery) is getting more and more challenging as the younger generation don't want to do this work even though the pay ("in CASH" quite often) is pretty good. As staffing get's more and more difficult, even these businesses are struggling more and more even though some of them have been around for 50 or more years (ownership may have changed several times though the years).

Added to that we have the "next generation" who may have worked in the business as kids but they don't want to take it over and work like their parents.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15052 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Added to that we have the "next generation" who may have worked in the business as kids but they don't want to take it over and work like their parents.
Bang on! The wife wanted to retire quite some time ago but the husband kept the business running anyway until recently where he himself also felt the desire to retire.
There doesn't seem to be anyone interested in buying the business either.
(it would be gutted anyway and relaunched as something new at this point, since the furniture is already being auctioned off...)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6142 posts
2238 upvotes
We used to visit Sea Hi back in the 70's - they used to put a giant bowl of dried noodles and a dish of plum sauce on the table the moment you sat down and we all snacked.
The food (though salty and greasy) & beer was relatively inexpensive back then and they were open late.

We used to joke about the fact that the restaurant was in the same building as a Vic Tanny's "Health Salon" where people went to work out to lose weight.

We also noted that they tended to blatantly seat visible minorities at somewhat hidden corner tables.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)