Home & Garden

Sea Salt & Kelp body wash blocked my bath tub... Help

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 1:20 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 20, 2019
157 posts
55 upvotes

Sea Salt & Kelp body wash blocked my bath tub... Help

This sounds kinda stupid... I have a slow pile in my bathroom for years. Slow but the water goes, if it cloggs I just use Liquid Plumr or Drano then everything works fine again.

But ever since I change my body wash to this very sticky St. Ives Exfoliating Body Wash for sensitive skin Sea Salt & Pacific Kelp for about a week, the pile got blocked 99.99% and Liquid Plumr or Drano just dont work....
b32c70da-17d8-49d6-b5c1-ac022dfa8976_1.34ef170f4d1b3e7acbe542f70ec03086.jpeg
I used the snake too but nothing can be pull out of the pile. So what can I do about it?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3710 posts
2308 upvotes
You need to rent one of those industrial wheeled augers.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4662 posts
3490 upvotes
BatmoBeal wrote: This sounds kinda stupid... I have a slow pile in my bathroom for years. Slow but the water goes, if it cloggs I just use Liquid Plumr or Drano then everything works fine again.

But ever since I change my body wash to this very sticky St. Ives Exfoliating Body Wash for sensitive skin Sea Salt & Pacific Kelp for about a week, the pile got blocked 99.99% and Liquid Plumr or Drano just dont work....
b32c70da-17d8-49d6-b5c1-ac022dfa8976_1.34ef170f4d1b3e7acbe542f70ec03086.jpeg
I used the snake too but nothing can be pull out of the pile. So what can I do about it?
Stop using that crap, it's filled small plastic beads . Stick to soap and water.

You might need to call a plumber, particularly since you have had the issue for quite some time. Did you remove any hair that's clogging the drain?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1531 posts
1666 upvotes
West GTA
hierophant wrote: Stop using that crap, it's filled small plastic beads . Stick to soap and water.

You might need to call a plumber, particularly since you have had the issue for quite some time. Did you remove any hair that's clogging the drain?
Honestly, anything that deliberately contains plastic to be washed down the drain should be banned, full stop, today. It's ridiculous that now, with the knowledge we have, this is permitted on the shelves. There are plenty of non-plastic alternatives - crushed shells, bits of rock, whatever.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3352 posts
2320 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the first 'pile' was a typo or auto-correct. Then there was a second 'pile'.

What do you mean by 'pile'? I can only assume drain?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4662 posts
3490 upvotes
grumble wrote: Honestly, anything that deliberately contains plastic to be washed down the drain should be banned, full stop, today. It's ridiculous that now, with the knowledge we have, this is permitted on the shelves. There are plenty of non-plastic alternatives - crushed shells, bits of rock, whatever.
Totally agree. Shame on companies for continuing to create products like this and on customers for continuing to buy this crap, but I lay most of the blame on the government for not stopping this - it's disgusting how politicians continue to put the economic interests of big companies and their political aspirations over the environment and the livelihood of society.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1531 posts
1666 upvotes
West GTA
hierophant wrote: Totally agree. Shame on companies for continuing to create products like this and on customers for continuing to buy this crap, but I lay most of the blame on the government for not stopping this - it's disgusting how politicians continue to put the economic interests of big companies and their political aspirations over the environment and the livelihood of society.
This one isn't even a tough thing to ban - it is not particularly restrictive and there are viable and affordable alternatives. I'm genuinely confused as to why this isn't gone, I'm not even sure that 'big business' would care that much. I can understand the hesitation if it was something that would be painful to ban... but this isn't.
Member
Aug 25, 2006
215 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
from the brand website: "The presence of plastics in the marine environment is an important issue. Unilever stopped using plastic scrub beads in 2014 in response to concerns about microplastics in oceans and lakes. We had formerly used them in some of our exfoliating products. We now use alternative exfoliating ingredients, such as apricot kernels, cornmeal, ground pumice, silica and walnut shells, enabling people to feel confident that the Unilever face and body washes they use do not contribute to the accumulation of microplastics in the world’s oceans."
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
13264 posts
7991 upvotes
Markham
dbracer wrote: from the brand website: "The presence of plastics in the marine environment is an important issue. Unilever stopped using plastic scrub beads in 2014 in response to concerns about microplastics in oceans and lakes. We had formerly used them in some of our exfoliating products. We now use alternative exfoliating ingredients, such as apricot kernels, cornmeal, ground pumice, silica and walnut shells, enabling people to feel confident that the Unilever face and body washes they use do not contribute to the accumulation of microplastics in the world’s oceans."
This stuff ["kernels, cornmeal, shells, pumice etc] is like coffee grinds. They accumulate in the traps/low points and unless you have a massive typhoon/ton of water flowing thru the lines they just sit there and accumulate to the point where you got a problem clog.

At my work, there was a major problem because some of the tenants were washing down the coffee grinds into the water system. Plumber had a major job cleaning the lines.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11324 posts
3535 upvotes
Saskatoon
Also check for hair clogging the drain.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5837 posts
4124 upvotes
If problem occurs for few years may be a not much effective plumbing vent as well
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5837 posts
4124 upvotes
If problem occurs for few years it could be a not much effective plumbing vent as well

Top