• Apr 22nd, 2019 12:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2105 posts
2327 upvotes

Sealing basement floor that has finished walls

Hi.
I am at a phase where I am just finishing the painting of my walls and planning the floor installation. Many threads talk about the benefits of sealing basment floor with a penetrating sealant as a vapor barrier prior to installing flooring. But my question revolves more around any implications of sealing it and not the part under the finished wall. Will there be more moisture coming under the finished wall due to no way through the slab portion that I am covering under the sealant ?

Note this:
Walls are all sprayed with 3 inches spray foam.
Subflooring will be done through Barricade air plus modular subflooring with vapor barrier tape between the seams.
I am installing laminate.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1774 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
So - the exterior walls are framed directly on the concrete? Is there a particular reason you didn't do the subfloor first? Is there a foam barrier between the floor and the framed walls?

How long have you lived in the house? Is the basement dry as a bone - walls and floors? All this talk about preventing moisture from the floor suggests you might not already know.

A painted on coating isn't going to save you from moisture. If the basement floor is 'dry' in the sense there is no visible moisture / water coming up (do the plastic-wrap/tape test on the floor) then put the tiled plastic-backed egg-crate type subfloor tiles down and your finished flooring.

Don't cover up the floor drain.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2105 posts
2327 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 11:45 am
So - the exterior walls are framed directly on the concrete? Is there a particular reason you didn't do the subfloor first? Is there a foam barrier between the floor and the framed walls?

How long have you lived in the house? Is the basement dry as a bone - walls and floors? All this talk about preventing moisture from the floor suggests you might not already know.

A painted on coating isn't going to save you from moisture. If the basement floor is 'dry' in the sense there is no visible moisture / water coming up (do the plastic-wrap/tape test on the floor) then put the tiled plastic-backed egg-crate type subfloor tiles down and your finished flooring.

Don't cover up the floor drain.
Facts:
- Steel studs, directly on concrete.
- Basement always dry. New house around 2004 build.
- Foam barrier is only on the walls, which actually extends towards the metal studs, and in most cases goes into studs.

Will do the test that you suggested, but to note, many dont even seal the concrete, and say to use the dricore/barricode air plus as a subfloor and laminate on top of it. I just want to know if I am creating more harm sealing the concrete than benefits. Please provide any articles, or reference guides to support your response.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.