Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
3030 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto

In search of a Dash Cam or surveillance camera

I'd like a dash cam or a camera to do the following:
- work while my car is turned off, say while my car is parked in a sketchy area
- Need to last a min. of 8-10 hours on so good battery and good memory, and for me to save the data.
- Allowing me to watch the video footage online

Can anyone recommend a good dash cam?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15858 posts
4378 upvotes
Markham
to last that long
and when can is parked
you need to wire to the car battery

also you should be asking here dash-camera-discussion-recommendations-995312/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33225 posts
6903 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That’s a big wish list. You have a few challenges

Online. How do you get your footage online? Even if you upload it to google drive, you need to have an internet connection in the car or dash cam. I don’t know of any manufacturer that offers this.

8 to 10 hours of recording? Assuming you are not streaming 10 hours of continuous video to a cloud server, you’re going to need a massive storage device. Not practical. As for battery, even if you wire it to the car battery, there is still a possibility that it will drain it. Bad idea. Most dash cams record based on motion, so you only record when someone is near your car. In a 10 hour period it may only be a few minutes. They also offer back up to a power bank in case your car battery voltage drops

Finally, if the thing you listed are must haves, there is one car that does it all. Get a Tesla. The only other option is to install a camera pointing at your driveway
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4373 posts
1473 upvotes
smartfood wrote: I'd like a dash cam or a camera to do the following:
- work while my car is turned off, say while my car is parked in a sketchy area
- Need to last a min. of 8-10 hours on so good battery and good memory, and for me to save the data.
- Allowing me to watch the video footage online

Can anyone recommend a good dash cam?
Hardwire a Dashcam in to your car ... look on Amazon for one.

Stay on Amazon and look for a wireless camera to mount on the outside of your premises to monitor your vehicle all night long.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.