Food & Drink

In search of great tasting spicy chinese beef jerky - need your help!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2004 9:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4276 posts
390 upvotes
Calgary

In search of great tasting spicy chinese beef jerky - need your help!

I'm having a craving for beef jerky. Brought home about 3lbs $80 worth of spicy hot asian beef jerky from Vegas chinatown and we cleaned it up in about 2 weeks. And yet I'm still craving for more!

Where's the best place to get authentic chinese beef jerky in Toronto or Vancouver? Anybody know of a place where I can order online? Or anybody willing to mail some my way and I'll pay for your troubles? I'm in Winnipeg and our chinatown doesn't offer anything like the west and the east coast.

And also, just curious if caucasians in general like beef jerky as junk food as they like chips? Honestly I've never in my life seen caucasians eat beef jerky before.

Anyways, help me find some beef jerky. Now!! Or I'm going to die!! AHH! heh :)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
I hear the Satay House at Market Village (toronto) is excellent. however, I think it might be all pork. It is however freshly made.
Sep 9, 2004
145 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
silentio wrote:I hear the Satay House at Market Village (toronto) is excellent. however, I think it might be all pork. It is however freshly made.

I was about to suggest that place but you beat me to it...I wouldn't have been able to remember the name of the store...just to mention that it's located in the Market Village, close to the entrance area and in the Kennedy st. side...
;)
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10185 posts
510 upvotes
I'm white and I like it as a snack more than junk food. I had a thread a while looking for places to buy some online and people said to do it myself. I tried twice and it failed both times. The first time it was yummy tasting but was basically overcooked steak. The second time it tasted pretty bad as I went overkill on spiceds and it was a deep dark brown-it might have worked out but I threw it out due to taste.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1726 posts
15 upvotes
The restaurant is called Satay Ria, and they have both Pork and Beef jerky.

I have a pack of pork jerky in my house right now... DAMN they're good! Will likely swing by again Thurs to pick up a few more boxes.
Heatware: 40-0-0
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
1409 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
The best place I know of in Vancouver is Bee Kim Heng (Fraser St & King Edwards). Grew up eating from this place but it burnt down years ago. I'm glad they decided to start up again.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
How healthy is that beef jerky? I wonder how much preservatives are in there.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
The best Chinese beef jerky I had was in the Tibetan high plains. There's a tourist place selling Chinese beef jerky. The beef is not made from regular cow but long haired buffalos that lives exclusively in the mountains. Price was dirt cheap too, compared to Canada. $80 Cdn would have bought 1/6 of a cow instead of 3KG.

Looking into importing that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4276 posts
390 upvotes
Calgary
Making your own beef jerky? I doubt I would have that kind of patience or know how to make it anywhere close to how I would like it.

Next time whoever's on their way to the mall to get some, do me a favour and gimme a PM shout as I'd like you to help me buy like a pound or two and I'll pay you back some good cash for your troubles :)

When I bought mine they charged $4.50US/half pound.

Which is better for jerky, beef or pork? I'm thinking beef? Didn't know some are made from buffalo meat. Any good? Some I find are just too dry.
Apr 13, 2003
387 posts
25 upvotes
There's a place in Chinatown (north west side of Spadina) called Nguyen Hung (sp?). Its one of the vietnamese sandwich places. They have good beef jerky (satay and sweet). It was $8 but don't recall how many grams. Its the chunky, chewy type as opposed to the flat, tough kind.