Travel

Searching for good restaurants on YELP.CA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2016 7:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5448 posts
3983 upvotes

Searching for good restaurants on YELP.CA?

Hey guys, when you travel in North America, is yelp.ca the best site listing info/comments of restaurants? Is it good for places outside NA?

I'm looking for a site that is helpful when staying in a city I'm not familiar with. :cheesygri
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2587 posts
1770 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EdisonL299 wrote: Hey guys, when you travel in North America, is yelp.ca the best site listing info/comments of restaurants? Is it good for places outside NA?

I'm looking for a site that is helpful when staying in a city I'm not familiar with. :cheesygri
In Europe I relied on the Trip Advisor app (we did a lot of driving between countries) and it would pick up the location of even the most remote non touristy areas. Found some great hidden gems that way based on reviews.
Aug 6, 2006
563 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
In Germany Yelp was useless. Most restaurants had only a few reviews, one place we tried had 4/5 rating and absolutely horrible sushi.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
drowsy wrote: one place we tried had 4/5 rating and absolutely horrible sushi.
It's all relative - Germany isn't known to be a Sushi hotspot, it was probably good for the area and horrid for Toronto. I tend to avoid ethnic foods while travelling unless I know there is a large population there and it is authentic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8660 posts
2590 upvotes
Mississauga
We just walk around, look at the menu and see if the restaurant is busy.

Before I travel, I like to ask for restaurant suggestions on Chowhound, usually the people responding are locals or foodies. I did just that for an upcoming weekend trip to NYC.

I prefer not to rely on TripAdvisor for food reviews because the reviews are mostly from tourists, not locals. Tourists seem to be drawn to tourist traps or chain restaurants.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1970 posts
949 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: Hey guys, when you travel in North America, is yelp.ca the best site listing info/comments of restaurants? Is it good for places outside NA?

IMO Yelp/TA is not great in NA and usually terrible outside NA especially Yelp. Just yelp where you live now and see the results for yourself. My wife and I usually look at both however we google the the area and reasearch it. You will find foodie articles/ writes ups usually that way which IMO usually leads to better options. Also ask the front desk people - tell them what you want and then research the names they give and and decide for yourself.