Expired Hot Deals

[Sears] Mattress Sale: $200 Simmons Backcare Salma Sleep Set + More (Price Error?)

Dec 4, 2009
30 posts
4 upvotes
They sent me cancellation emails for two of my orders, but for the third order I received an automated call to confirm the delivery date and no cancellation email. So I waited for them but they didn't show up.

I called them, the Filipino guy did some active listening, he said he understands I didn't receive a cancellation email, my credit card got charged, I got called to confirm the delivery, I took time off from work and they didn't show up, but that happened because the item is out of stock and not to worry my credit card will be refunded in the next couple of days. I asked to escalate the issue and talk to a manager, he said his manager is busy right now with three phone calls but that he will call me later that day. For business days later, no call.

If you are a Sears employee and you don't look for other job opportunity, in the near future you will probably have to :)
Mar 13, 2012
31 posts
3 upvotes
Burnaby
caniran wrote: last week they had given me a reference number that I could buy the same product again for the same price. today they said they will give me a $25 gift card.
will see if I get it.
Did you try the reference number to see if it works?
Feb 4, 2007
601 posts
385 upvotes
vista1 wrote: Did you try the reference number to see if it works?
I did but then she read me the script they were given. She said that the first guy made a mistake for telling me I could re-order.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
Be warned, Sears does not consider what their agents say to be binding.

In my mind, the completion of the contract happened when I had the following evidence

- Screenshots of my online order
- Copy of my billing invoice
- Recording of CSR telling me that the price would be honoured
- The money was removed from my credit card

Sears holds the position that those elements do not constitute a binding contract. I'm interested what a court of law would have to say about that.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 21, 2008
388 posts
244 upvotes
[IMG]http://s14.postimg.org/bf04mf0gh/2015_0 ... _36_28.jpg[/IMG]

wronguy wrote: Got a call from Sears yesterday stating order was cancelled and was told I would be getting a $20 gift card to my mailing address. I mentioned that I used a $50 off coupon that I can no longer use again and the CSR offered me either a price adjustment of $50 on a new set or a $50 gift card in addition to the $20 one which I accepted. Hopefully it actually comes.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5481 posts
2147 upvotes
Winnipeg
I
Syne wrote: Be warned, Sears does not consider what their agents say to be binding.

In my mind, the completion of the contract happened when I had the following evidence

Sears holds the position that those elements do not constitute a binding contract. I'm interested what a court of law would have to say about that.
You would think the charge on visa acknowledges the order...what does visa say?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I keep getting emails saying they'll refund my purchase to my VISA.
They have already done that.
I hope they double up, then we'll see how quickly and nicely I handle THEIR issue.
:lol:
Nov 28, 2013
491 posts
198 upvotes
Montr
Syne wrote: Be warned, Sears does not consider what their agents say to be binding.

so what is happening with this? any news
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2815 posts
843 upvotes
Montreal
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Feb 4, 2007
601 posts
385 upvotes
still waiting for the gift card. phoned today they said it went for processing on Feb 17th. How did you guys get it so fast?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2011
1151 posts
340 upvotes
Superstar1976 wrote: well, looky here.....Sears is in trouble for these Matress deals:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e23141311/

I think I should be thanked for this post :)
It's not just Sears and the Hudson Bay that have constant 50% off sticker prices, many other large furniture and electronics chains do it, and consumers expect it. What's more sinister is the offering of unique models to different retailers by the few giant manufacturers (e.g. seally, Simmons etc.) making it harder for consumers to price compare and get a sense of true value. And the fact remains that it really costs a manufacturer a couple hundred to make a mattress that retails for 2K+. I hope they get screwed big time.
Mar 13, 2012
31 posts
3 upvotes
Burnaby
Today's news on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/competi ... -1.2967460

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e23141311/

"The bureau has clamped down on retailers for misleading sale prices in the past. In 2005, the Competition Tribunal ruled that Sears Canada promoted bogus tire prices in ads, resulting in a $100,000 administrative penalty and $387,000 in costs. Less than a year earlier, sporting goods retailer Forzani Group Ltd. (now owned by Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd.) agreed to pay $1.7-million to settle allegations it misled consumers about prices. And in 2003, clothier Suzy Shier Inc. agreed to pay a $1-million penalty in a similar matter."

We should alert the Tribunal regarding false mattress advertising in January.

The BBB in Ontario does not deal with false advertising by Sears. Sears gets away by giving back the refund and not honoring what has been advertised.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2765 posts
280 upvotes
ha.... good, sears canceled all my orders, and even after those canceled orders they had another mattress sale, ordered that one and they canceled it too. never got anything for it.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2815 posts
843 upvotes
Montreal
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
9186 posts
13799 upvotes
Finally received my second $25 GC!

I obviously would have preferred a bed set, but getting $25 for both my cancelled orders will have to do!