Shopping Discussion

Sears Canada is trying a new store format, smaller stores and lower priced items

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2016 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8647 upvotes
GTHA

Sears Canada is trying a new store format, smaller stores and lower priced items

Sears Canada tries a new store format
Sears Canada unveils a store revamp, this time at Promenade Mall in Thornhill.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/0 ... ormat.html

Sears Canada now operates 95 department stores across the country after exiting certain prime locations in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.

The Promenade Sears in Thornhill is half the size it used to be, unfurling across one polished concrete floor instead of two storeys.

All the carpets have been removed, and the shelves and space dividers are on wheels, making it easier to create and collapse departments depending on what’s selling and what’s not — the same principle underpinning the layout at the new Nordstrom at Toronto’s Eaton Centre.

Unlike Nordstrom, though, which aims at mid-market to luxury consumers, Sears is aiming for average Canadians, and is focused on value.

“We want to be really price-focused,” said Stranzl, leading the tour into the outerwear department for women, which this fall includes $50 ultra-light down jackets that roll into a pouch.

Japanese retailer Uniqlo, poised to open in the GTA, sells a similar jacket online for $80 (U.S.), although it’s currently on sale for $60.

In the Sears appliance department, prices are checked and changed daily to ensure customers are offered the lowest available price on any given day, said Stranzl.

The re-design includes a sign over the store inside the mall, with the new black Sears logo and red maple leaf. The marketing campaign for the new stores, including one at Mapleview Centre in Burlington, is “WTS”, for “What the Sears is going on?”

The entrance from the mall also features a wide “decompression zone” to let customers stop and look around the store before deciding how to shop it. That differs from the more familiar department store design, where cosmetics crowd the entrance.

Will you check out these new stores?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1794 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Will I check out the stores? Most definitely a BIG, NO.
Why on Earth would I? I was treated badly. Never. They have lost my business to better Companies. Online. The Bay????

In other words, "Sears, get lost"
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20238 posts
8576 upvotes
Toronto
Sears should just close down. Wasting time and money on this non-sense. It's not going to turnaround their business.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
780 upvotes
We cant have another retailer leaving canada and therefore less competition for the few remaining.

Why us canadians tendencies to shut down if they dont like something?

Look at the aftermath, people now wished that target stays. The retail landscape is bland and theres no competition for Walmart now.
Nov 26, 2015
375 posts
202 upvotes
TheRed wrote: We cant have another retailer leaving canada and therefore less competition for the few remaining.

Look at the aftermath, people now wished that target stays. The retail landscape is bland and theres no competition for Walmart now.
I don't understand either. I don't have much a loyalty nor I don't have much a hate towards a particular store brand, even though I got unpleasant experiences before e.g. Best Buy.

Now Target and Zellers are gone, see how those "Deals" Walmart carried have become.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20313 posts
4177 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be willing to give it a go. Sears has always seemed okay when I've gone in, just never really targeted at me. If I can find a good deal there there's no reason not to go.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
just get it over and rename them all to kmart.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28899 posts
14434 upvotes
I've always wondered how Sears is still in business.
I can't imagine that their rent is cheap since they have a billion sqft in prime real estate.

This concept might work for them (especially the changing departments) but that can also bite them in the butt.
I for example hate shopping in brick and mortar because I don't know what's in stock.
If one day Sears decides that X isn't selling any more, I'm going to be mildly inconvenienced and have to go shop elsewhere.

If I were Sears (or any other retailer) I'd make sure to have a very accurate stock checker working first.
Although if their current (beta?) website is any indication they're already going in the wrong direction.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9218 posts
2872 upvotes
London
About a month ago, I ordered a product online for in store pickup from Sears. The location I went to had friendly staff, a clean store, and plenty of product merchandised well. I was impressed, considering how much people like to crap on Sears.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1024 upvotes
TheRed wrote: We cant have another retailer leaving canada and therefore less competition for the few remaining.

Upvoted and agreed. I hope Sears (or if they do rebrand to Kmart) succeed since they're the last viable competition to Walmart we have in Canada.

However...
The marketing campaign for the new stores, including one at Mapleview Centre in
Burlington, is “WTS”, for “What the Sears is going on?”
Kinda doesn't bode well.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1024 upvotes
ryan10075 wrote: Now Target and Zellers are gone, see how those "Deals" Walmart carried have become.
This. The current void in lower/middle class retail can't last forever and Walmart's betting on short term profits from lack of competition over long term customer satisfaction loyalty (higher prices, charging for bags, some stores with loonie deposit shopping carts).

Pretty much a good rule of thumb has become if Walmart and another store has it for the same price, all the being equal, buy it at the other store.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
Spend those credit cards people, kickstart the economy!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8647 upvotes
GTHA
Why did I get a downvote? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9218 posts
2872 upvotes
London
tk1000 wrote: Why did I get a downvote? :confused:
No idea, Maybe it was Sam Walton, or Fred Target.

I wouldn't worry about it, imaginary internet points are pretty worthless.

I'm sure I'll get downvoted for this too.
Banned
Sep 30, 2016
73 posts
30 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Sears should just close down. Wasting time and money on this non-sense. It's not going to turnaround their business.
Whether you shop at Sears or not, competition is always good, it keeps other retailers in check. Whatever little business they take away from others, prevents monopoly.

See what WM and Amazon did, once Target went under, raised online shipping minimum, charging shipping charges etc. No anninerssary sales at WM.

Very soom Amazon, WM and Costco will be the only 3 left if this continues and then they will pretty much do what they like.
Banned
Sep 30, 2016
73 posts
30 upvotes
Sears is not bad for clothes, jackets and shoes, if you shop carefully and watch their deals and clearances. The quality and style is much better than crap stores like Wal Mart or even some of the crap Amazon sells.

I have got cheaper and better quality clothes there, than say Gap, Old Navy etc. Even their mattress deals are good if you get lucky :)
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Please for the love of humanity fire every single member of the marketing department all the way down to the janitors All these boomers sitting around a table are a bunch of pathetic twats and you will absolutely never succeed with them.

***In the boardroom filled with white haired baby boomers***

So folks our stock of customers is dying and not being replenished. We need to lure in the young ones. Any ideas?

Bill: yeah my grandson uses this social media thing...twitbook or something

Bob: yeah i know i think they use the number sign alot too.

Dave: Number sign?

Bill: come on get with it guys it's a hashtag not a number sign.

Mary: yeah the other day my grandson was typing something on this thing that looked like a phone and wrote #wtf. I thought he made a spelling mistake but then i asked and he said it stood for "what the food". I guess he was heading to a friend's house to eat.

Dave: hey i got an idea instead of food we could use sears. Like wts what the sears.

Mary: omg brilliant!! Let's put a hashtag thing before it and the kids will just pour non-stop into our stores.

Bob wow i knew i had the best marketing department ever. Double executive bonuses all around this year! Yeahhhh!!!!
Last edited by Cas77 on Oct 3rd, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12658 posts
7789 upvotes
Markham
Their appliances and hardware sections are pretty good. Kids clothes is not bad either. Definitely clothes for adults is really bad
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14949 posts
11385 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Bring back KMART!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
954 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Sears. Stop trying to make #whatthesears happen. It's not going to happen.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)