Expired Hot Deals

Sears

Sears: Trademaster 18v drill $23.99 reg $80 until March 19/10. hot?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2010 4:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1367 posts
381 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…

[Sears] Sears: Trademaster 18v drill $23.99 reg $80 until March 19/10. hot?

Sears: Trademaster 18v drill, battery and charger for$23.99 reg $80 until March 19/10. hot?

Any feedback on the unit?

[IMG]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/930/searsdrill.gif[/IMG]

http://www.eflyer.sears.ca/FSI/Page.asp ... pagenum=20
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
:arrow: Keep physically distant but socially connected.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol and MJ.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1666 posts
138 upvotes
Paradise
Take that 23.99, roll it up reall tight, take it over to the bathroom and lay it on top of the toilet water. Then with your left hand push hard on the flush lever. Watch that tightly rolled up money go round and round until it disappears.

Go back to the couch and continue watching TV.

OR you could buy this drill. Either way you are no further ahead, still out 24 dollars.

REMEMBER, the poor man pays twice.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
273 upvotes
Kitchener
Walmart Martyr wrote: Take that 23.99, roll it up really tight, take it over to the bathroom and lay it on top of the toilet water. Then with your left hand push hard on the flush lever. Watch that tightly rolled up money go round and round until it disappears.

OR you could buy this drill. Either way you are no further ahead, still out 24 dollars.

Lol, while I agree with you, I don't think flushing is the proper technique... burning them is faster and avoids clogging the toilets.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Dec 22, 2004
187 posts
2 upvotes
I did buy this one about 1.5 years ago. After several months, it wouldn't hold a charge long enough to drive 6 screws.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2561 posts
289 upvotes
Winnipeg
WalmartMartyr wrote: Take that 23.99, roll it up reall tight, take it over to the bathroom and lay it on top of the toilet water. Then with your left hand push hard on the flush lever. Watch that tightly rolled up money go round and round until it disappears.

that's awesome :D

buy a quality drill and you won't regret it. i buy ridgid and get free batteries when they die, can't go wrong with that. wait for a sale and snap one up, or something similar.
Mar 27, 2003
481 posts
152 upvotes
I feel compelled to provide input. This is the same drill Zellers branded and I suspect stopped selling a couple of years ago, when, instead of it's $40 price, it went on sale/clearance for $20, including *2* batteries, a few drill bits and a case. Pictures included for reference. The 'Tooltech' clearly comes from the same manufacturer. It sucks. Bad. The batteries (NiCad) are terrible. They take 3 hours to charge, but more importantly, they barely hold a charge & drain very quickly; yes, NiCads are inferior to NiMh or LiIon. If it's been more than a day ago that you charged your batteries (remember I have 2 to judge by), you'll never have the drill in decent working condition should you need it. Testing the drill right after a battery charging still let's me assess the drill's torque is poor - any mildly challenging drilling or more importantly screwing will have you quickly turning to the the manual method. Buying a drill with real batteries for say 2x/3x or more the cost will save you lots of patience, sanity & time. If there was a dollar store line of tools, this is it.

[IMG]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5130 ... 104028.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2365 ... 104112.png[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1367 posts
381 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
WalmartMartyr wrote: Take that 23.99, roll it up reall tight, take it over to the bathroom and lay it on top of the toilet water.

I thought this post was going down the toilet :( until smarter posters joined in later, and offered constructive and useful information. :)
Kudos to beljevina for the detailed posting, marty5898 for his input, and brucered for comments on RIGID tools and their free batteries. (But how much $$ would a RIGID drill be?) :D
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
:arrow: Keep physically distant but socially connected.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol and MJ.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2005
3444 posts
71 upvotes
Peterborough
I had a tooltech one died after a few months.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28665 posts
1316 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
I always wondered about the type of the battery and not needing it all the time. Clearly there's going to be a lot of idle time. How is the best way to condition/maintain your batteries if you're not going to be using your drill daily/weekly??
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1605 posts
402 upvotes
does Sears offer service plan for 5 years? How much they charge for a $24 item? hmm...may be $10. Is it worth buying this drill with the service plan?

Costco has Kawasaki Drill for $40..Any opinions on that?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1736 posts
461 upvotes
Montreal
i dont get it, most drills used nicad battery.

i had a black decker that i pay $100 at the time, and the battery died after 1 year.

after that, i bought some mastercraft, pay about $50 and it lasted about 1 year as well...

so what's the difference between paying $23 and paying more for expensive tools?? last time i check, they are still using nicad battery on $100 tools... unless you're paying $200 then you'll get lithium and i heard lithium does not provide good amount of torque on those drills
May 8, 2005
396 posts
201 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't think you can even find Drills and cordless power tools with NiCad anymore. Some still offer NiMH which is still way better than NiCad but most now have Li-ion.

I picked up a Ridgid X3 18V Li-Ion Impact Drill a while back from Home Depot, best $150 (on sale from $250) I have ever spent! You can find specials all the time at HD for the good stuff (Milwaki, Ridgid, Makita, Proter Cable, Dewalt, etc).
Nov 10, 2003
642 posts
59 upvotes
Winnipeg
beljevina wrote: I feel compelled to provide input. This is the same drill Zellers branded and I suspect stopped selling a couple of years ago, when, instead of it's $40 price, it went on sale/clearance for $20, including *2* batteries, a few drill bits and a case. Pictures included for reference. The 'Tooltech' clearly comes from the same manufacturer. It sucks. Bad. The batteries (NiCad) are terrible. They take 3 hours to charge, but more importantly, they barely hold a charge & drain very quickly; yes, NiCads are inferior to NiMh or LiIon. If it's been more than a day ago that you charged your batteries (remember I have 2 to judge by), you'll never have the drill in decent working condition should you need it. Testing the drill right after a battery charging still let's me assess the drill's torque is poor - any mildly challenging drilling or more importantly screwing will have you quickly turning to the the manual method. Buying a drill with real batteries for say 2x/3x or more the cost will save you lots of patience, sanity & time. If there was a dollar store line of tools, this is it.
I had the same drill. I got it for 9$ or something like that. For me it worked great. It takes a few hours to charge but I found it lasted long enough. I have ABUSED it for quite a while now and it was well worth the coin. Luck of the draw I guess.

On the other hand I got the next Zellers series several months later on blowout and was an impact driver, ion batteries. And that one is a POS. again under 10$ or 15$ so I don't care much. The battery indicator on the drill is faulty, likely causing the confusion. The charge indicator on the charger is likely faulty adding to confusion. It claims to be one hour charger. All indicators were full but it would not work at all. I tried charging it for several hours, worked like a champ for a while. Then worked intermittently. I think if I charge it up for a few hours and ignore all indicators (Charger and Drill), then it is usable. But yeah suspect quality for sure. Under 10$ I'm ok with it, but the original price people paid makes me feel sad inside ;)

These cheap drills can be had at various places for this price frequently. They will be under powered for more torque hungry jobs. I wouldn't rush out to get it as it is not that hot, but if you immediately NEED a light duty drill, and don't have real cash it is not the worst idea. Just set your expectations to the price, and use it accordingly. Also find out what the stores return policy is. You can always try it, if it's abhorrent, return it. But yeah obviously you get what you pay for .... if you spend a little more for sale on a decent drill it should last you a few years. But also from my experience they don't make em like they used to. so the "Last you a life time" I find very hard to believe in today's market unless you spend BIG bucks. I got a impact driver from CT for 75$ reg around 200$ or something. Great little unit, thing is after the few years the batteries don't hold much of a charge. But I used this thing TONS. Point is, there are times I feel it needs replacing.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1208 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
I still have my 12V Jobmate Drill that I paid $14.99 for and it works great 5 years later. I may be the minority here - but it suits my very 'light duty' usage.

I did buy better bits though as the Jobmate ones strip very easily.
Mar 30, 2008
16 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
BobyYoo wrote: i had a black decker that i pay $100 at the time, and the battery died after 1 year.

after that, i bought some mastercraft, pay about $50 and it lasted about 1 year as well...

so what's the difference between paying $23 and paying more for expensive tools?? last time i check, they are still using nicad battery on $100 tools... unless you're paying $200 then you'll get lithium and i heard lithium does not provide good amount of torque on those drills
I don't think that MasterCraft and Black&Decker are considered "quality" brands. Maybe that is why the batteries died after 1 year?

I bought a Ridgid 18V drill (with 2 NiCd batteries) and a Ridgid impact driver (14.4V NiCd) and all batteries are still doing fine.
Jul 24, 2006
303 posts
40 upvotes
London
They were clearing out a Ni-Cd Hitachi Cordless Driver Drill (14.4 V) with two batteries, some bits, and a light (DS14DVF3) for 69.97 at the South London Costco. . In addition to Costco warranty, there is a 5 year Professional Warranty included. . Despite battery type, seemed like a good deal for a drill that I know I'll have for at least 5 years. . . and I needed to buy right now because my 15 year old black and decker drill died in the middle of a project (definitely got my money's worth there, too).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)