Careers

Seasonal greetings to previous bosses and business contacts

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 6:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8892 posts
687 upvotes

Seasonal greetings to previous bosses and business contacts

Just wonder if anyone sends seasonal greeting emails to previous bosses and business contacts just to keep in touch. I wonder if I should send them early next week as I assume lot of people are taking the last two of December off.

Thanks for any opinions.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1330 posts
1172 upvotes
rdx wrote: Just wonder if anyone sends seasonal greeting emails to previous bosses and business contacts just to keep in touch. I wonder if I should send them early next week as I assume lot of people are taking the last two of December off.

Thanks for any opinions.
I go meet up for coffee/drinks with them to catch up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8892 posts
687 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: I go meet up for coffee/drinks with them to catch up.
Agree. Ideally yes, unfortunately, I am working far from where they work now, and some of them are out of town ..........
Jr. Member
May 15, 2019
141 posts
145 upvotes
Yep- I still do send cards/gifts to all my ex-bosses even after their retirement as I continue to garner tidbits of wisdom from them to date.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8892 posts
687 upvotes
JacobV91325 wrote: Yep- I still do send cards/gifts to all my ex-bosses even after their retirement as I continue to garner tidbits of wisdom from them to date.
That is great. Do you send them to their offices ?

I wish I still work near their offices, so that I can call them out for coffee or lunch once a while to keep in touch.

Does it sound odd if I just send them seasonal greeting emails ?
Last edited by rdx on Dec 16th, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1153 upvotes
Email is better than nothing. The more personalized, the more likely you stay "fresh" in their minds. There's no hard and fast rule. It's like impressing your date. The more effort you put in, in general the better the result.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1671 posts
1924 upvotes
Nothing wrong with sending holiday wishes. Everyone gets busy and just to say hi is often appreciated as we can't always meet up in person as life gets in the way.

BTW, there is LinkedIn to help keep in touch with professional contacts.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8892 posts
687 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Nothing wrong with sending holiday wishes. Everyone gets busy and just to say hi is often appreciated as we can't always meet up in person as life gets in the way.

BTW, there is LinkedIn to help keep in touch with professional contacts.
Thanks. Totally agree. I just want to keep in touch with them. Not just message them when I need help from them. You know even if I have time to meet them, they might not have to time to meet me as some of them are VP or even EVP.

Yes, those who are on Linkedin, I usually message them there. However, not everyone checks that regularly. Thus, I am thinking to send to their office emails.

My question now is that if I should send it now (would it be too early for seasonal greetings ?) or next week (Christmas week, but then people could be off till next year) ?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1671 posts
1924 upvotes
Don't over think it since it is to say hi. If they have a chance, they will read it when you send it, if not, they will read it when they have time. No one will hold it against you if you were a day late or a day early.
Member
User avatar
May 2, 2014
300 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
send greaters within 4 days before. you can text or email.... dont make it look awkward by going overboard.

i do this to keep myself in the loop should i ever need a reference for a job down the road

Top