Automotive

Seat belt ticket!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2015 2:06 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
1 posts

Seat belt ticket!!

Hello, Today July 24 2015 I got my first seat belt ticket, which is quite odd because It is a habit of mine to always wear my seatbelt, it's simple; I sit in the car, close the door, turn on the ignition and fasten my seatbelt. One of the cops from my neighborhood (laval) which I have a seen already with my friend the last time he got pulled over, approached me with such a grumpy look and did not even introduce herself. Further on, she told me I did not have my seatbelt, which I did, and simply asked for my License. She never said anything about seeing me put it, No she thought I never had it (so it must've appeared magically). The cop was driving alone, and so was I. She was turning on the street I was passing by. Probably had a split second to glimpse, also my car interior is relatively dark and I was also wearing dark clothing! She left me no time to explain myself on how I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and simply ignored pretty much all the explaining and limit, begging. I am a future law student, currently studying as a Paralegal, I have never before in my life craved justice more than I do now. Recently got my license back (Ticket for Work zone in the States(90mph in 70mph-unfamiliar with the roads there it was my first time) please contact me, I really need to win this case for me, and for the name of justice.

Thank you.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25046 posts
4242 upvotes
If you're studying as a paralegal, what do you expect any of us to do for you that you can't do for yourself? Use your knowledge to fight the ticket.
Jun 17, 2013
794 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
No surprise. Cops are cops. Good luck winning it man!
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
574 upvotes
kitchener
SamyBenhamed wrote: Hello, Today July 24 2015 I got my first seat belt ticket, which is quite odd because It is a habit of mine to always wear my seatbelt, it's simple; I sit in the car, close the door, turn on the ignition and fasten my seatbelt. One of the cops from my neighborhood (laval) which I have a seen already with my friend the last time he got pulled over, approached me with such a grumpy look and did not even introduce herself. Further on, she told me I did not have my seatbelt, which I did, and simply asked for my License. She never said anything about seeing me put it, No she thought I never had it (so it must've appeared magically). The cop was driving alone, and so was I. She was turning on the street I was passing by. Probably had a split second to glimpse, also my car interior is relatively dark and I was also wearing dark clothing! She left me no time to explain myself on how I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and simply ignored pretty much all the explaining and limit, begging. I am a future law student, currently studying as a Paralegal, I have never before in my life craved justice more than I do now. Recently got my license back (Ticket for Work zone in the States(90mph in 70mph-unfamiliar with the roads there it was my first time) please contact me, I really need to win this case for me, and for the name of justice.

Thank you.
Being that you are a future law student, this is a perfect opportunity for you to get some practice.
At the trial, I would bring into question her observations by calculating the approximate time she was able to make this judgement based on your speed at the time when you passed each other (you don't have a dash cam by any chance do you?)....
Also you said that she was "turning", which means that her brain would also be processing other information, as opposed to if she was just parked.
When making a turn, the driver has to make sure it is safe to do so and that requires certain focus and judgement....meaning that she couldn't have been 100% focused on you.
If it was already getting dark, it would definitely be a bonus, but the fact that you were wearing dark clothing in dark interior means that it would be hard for her to make this observation in "split second" under these circumstances.
It will ultimately be your word against her's and you need to attack her credibility and observational skills by being creative.
Maybe you can bring up some studies on distraction and accuracy of observation when it comes to visibility involving contrast (gray seatbelt on black background etc..)
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
Ha! I had a cop give me a speeding ticket once, without telling me a damn thing. Old fart asked me for my license, went to his hiding spot and came back with a ticket.

When I went to talk to the prosecutor, she told me that he didn't have to tell me anything, he can give me a ticket without explaining himself. I'm not sure if this is true, but I was young and believed it.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21680 posts
2455 upvotes
toodlepip wrote: Ha! I had a cop give me a speeding ticket once, without telling me a damn thing. Old fart asked me for my license, went to his hiding spot and came back with a ticket.

When I went to talk to the prosecutor, she told me that he didn't have to tell me anything, he can give me a ticket without explaining himself. I'm not sure if this is true, but I was young and believed it.
Why would they have to say anything? You can always go to court later. You have zero chance of conducting a road side trial.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14862 posts
1169 upvotes
Markham
Do we need a dashcam pointing at ourselves now?
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4790 posts
1127 upvotes
Abbottabad
As a future lawyer I hope you work on your grammar and punctuation.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4917 posts
762 upvotes
Calgary
How do you lose a Canadian licence for speeding in the US????
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1297 posts
303 upvotes
You got a ticket for doing 90mph in the states?

What- you didn't realize that speed was ridiculously fast to be driving at??

Sounds like someone deserved that ticket.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1009 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
iamskyhigh wrote: As a future lawyer I hope you work on your grammar and punctuation.
Possibly English is OP's second language.

If OP claims "future law student" I can claim future prime ministerial candidate.