Automotive

Seat belt ticket!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2015 2:06 pm
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
The law says nothing about wearing a seat belt before starting your engine, only that you must wear it while driving. Everyone has their own routine they follow, so long as they follow it. I can see people who drive off without their seat belt also walking out of the washroom without doing their pants up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5791 posts
1957 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Velocrank wrote: The law says nothing about wearing a seat belt before starting your engine, only that you must wear it while driving. Everyone has their own routine they follow, so long as they follow it. I can see people who drive off without their seat belt also walking out of the washroom without doing their pants up.
Or washing their hands.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8543 posts
2218 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Troll
bingo over and over, new id, crazy "scenario", wait for the resposnes who took it seriously to stop, and sign up again
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3904 posts
1261 upvotes
BC
zoro69 wrote: bingo over and over, new id, crazy "scenario", wait for the resposnes who took it seriously to stop, and sign up again
That's smart
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1721 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Velocrank wrote: The law says nothing about wearing a seat belt before starting your engine, only that you must wear it while driving. Everyone has their own routine they follow, so long as they follow it. I can see people who drive off without their seat belt also walking out of the washroom without doing their pants up.
My advice wasn't about the law, so much as it was about safety. If your car crashes before you put on your belt, as sometimes happens, it's too late to strap in then. Better to strap in first and be safe. That's what the belts are there for, not to avoid tickets.
Dec 22, 2008
950 posts
364 upvotes
Vancouver
I suggest you watch some Suits on netflix and Harvey Specter this ticket...

Also I would like rfders to rally against bad driving, take the streets in your Hyundai elentras and Toyota corollas.../s
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5662 posts
1844 upvotes
Space
Get disclosure and post up here. There's always two sides to the story but regardless courts tend to favour their own anyways. Winning a he said/she said ticket is hard.
Aug 4, 2004
724 posts
23 upvotes
OP do you have a dashcam with sound recording?

If this happened to me, I will bring the clip to trial and show that there was no seat belt chime during the video - inferring that you had your seat belt on.
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
Solsearchin1 wrote: Get disclosure and post up here. There's always two sides to the story but regardless courts tend to favour their own anyways. Winning a he said/she said ticket is hard.
It's a very sad commentary on our justice system when you have to presume the courts see the police as "one of their own". While the accused is supposed to be innocent unless proven guilty, both he and the police have motives for winning.

I'd like to seethe OP come back and say whether he intends to challenge the charge.
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
Tornado F2 wrote: My advice wasn't about the law, so much as it was about safety. If your car crashes before you put on your belt, as sometimes happens, it's too late to strap in then. Better to strap in first and be safe. That's what the belts are there for, not to avoid tickets.
I started putting seat belts in my cars years before manufacturers were required to. I always do up the belt as soon as I get in the car. For me, seat belts were not only for safety, but to keep from sliding around on bench seats and wide "bucket" seats. Wearing a seat belt to avoid tickets is completely the wrong attitude. The only time I don't bother is when moving the car around in my garage or driveway or to a different spot in a mall parking lot.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8543 posts
2218 upvotes
Velocrank wrote: It's a very sad commentary on our justice system when you have to presume the courts see the police as "one of their own". While the accused is supposed to be innocent unless proven guilty, both he and the police have motives for winning.

I'd like to seethe OP come back and say whether he intends to challenge the charge.
You actually belived this happened? Bookmark this thread and refer back the next time a new id starts a crazy ticket/accident thread, and see how silimar they are written. Been going on for ages. Beyond me how so many keep taking them seriously
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
I have no reason to believe the OP is a troll. A lot of new members forget to enable notifications and can't find their way back.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1721 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Velocrank wrote: I started putting seat belts in my cars years before manufacturers were required to. I always do up the belt as soon as I get in the car. For me, seat belts were not only for safety, but to keep from sliding around on bench seats and wide "bucket" seats. Wearing a seat belt to avoid tickets is completely the wrong attitude. The only time I don't bother is when moving the car around in my garage or driveway or to a different spot in a mall parking lot.
I have a feeling I strap in even for such minor moves, before turning the key. I've always used a belt since childhood, so it's pretty much instinct. It's also common sense - accidents/malfunctions do happen, as we see regularly on the news. I was hit from behind stopped at traffic lights once, knocked into the back of the vehicle ahead, and thrown forward enough to suffer wrist and ankle bruising. I probably would have gone head-first into the windshield if it hadn't been for my seat belt. (An aunt lost an eye in a similar accident, unbelted). To some extent I wouldn't mind a proper 4-point harness like race car drivers have, to be even safer.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1007 posts
254 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: You actually belived this happened? Bookmark this thread and refer back the next time a new id starts a crazy ticket/accident thread, and see how silimar they are written. Been going on for ages. Beyond me how so many keep taking them seriously
Who cares...in case it does happen to someone else, they can use this thread as a reference. Although, I think OP is screwed and maybe if the count of douchebag cops keeps going up, we may need a dash cam that records outside and inside.