Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3864 posts
823 upvotes
Kingston, ON

Are seatbelt extenders legal?

Our kids just transitioned to booster seats and it's a royal pain to buckle them in, so I am looking at getting seatbelt extenders to make it easier. I just want to make sure these are legal and also wondering if they reduce the effectiveness of the seatbelt function. I am certainly willing to put up with the inconvenience if these create a greater risk in any way.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0158863E ... ref=plSrch

Thoughts?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25054 posts
4249 upvotes
I would contact the manufacturer of the vehicle as well as the booster seat and see what they say. Personally I would be uncomfortable modifying the seatbelt in any way when it comes to my kid. I'd just suck it up, although it may be perfectly safe to use one, I really have no idea which is why I would never risk it.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
These are only meant for seat belts that are too short to fit around larger passengers. If you use them on a kid, the shoulder belt is ineffective because it won't go across their chest anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1115 posts
485 upvotes
York Region
I was just transitioning 2 child seats to boosters and the instructions clearly indicated that belt extenders should not be used. There were a bunch of reasons why it is unsafe but I don't recall them since I have no plans to get a a belt extender. Check the booster seat manual, should be in there.