Students

Second academic offence graduating

[OP]
Jan 30, 2017
8 posts

Second academic offence graduating

Ok heres my situation, in first year i was convicted of academic offence for a 25% term paper and was given a 0 for the assignment as well as 10% reduction in the course. The tribunal also said that i would be given an annotation on my transcript of the offence which would expire within 9 months. I am now in my 5th year here at UofT and set to graduate. However The instructor has accused me of copying someones lab which is worth 2%. I explained my situation to the instructor and he said he would try and go easy on my when reporting it to the department. Will this be considered my second offence or first as the annotation previously given to me has long been expired and what can i expect? It was a 2% lab and i do not need the course to graduate.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6186 posts
648 upvotes
RobertoA179397 wrote: Ok heres my situation, in first year i was convicted of academic offence for a 25% term paper and was given a 0 for the assignment as well as 10% reduction in the course. The tribunal also said that i would be given an annotation on my transcript of the offence which would expire within 9 months. I am now in my 5th year here at UofT and set to graduate. However The instructor has accused me of copying someones lab which is worth 2%. I explained my situation to the instructor and he said he would try and go easy on my when reporting it to the department. Will this be considered my second offence or first as the annotation previously given to me has long been expired and what can i expect? It was a 2% lab and i do not need the course to graduate.
Why on earth did you cheat for an assignment worth 2% for a course you don't need to graduate?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1941 posts
1816 upvotes
Ottawa
Man, the standard at UofT has really gone down...
[OP]
Jan 30, 2017
8 posts
I have a 3.3 academic gpa with a failed course on my transcript, before you make judgements think about that. I'm just curious as to what will happen to me the person who copied me is willing to accept that he copied me.... but apparantly since we had the same stuff its gonna be tricky. It was only 2 sentences as well.
Jul 12, 2015
125 posts
16 upvotes
TO
Off topic and doesn't really answer your question but reading your post really brought back a life changing event in first year.

I was in a programming course, worked with someone on an assignment, didn't blatantly copy each other, but we shared similar ideas and techniques. However I went to help somebody else who struggled, he obviously didn't copy me directly again, but somehow...his code ends up looking the same as the original person I worked with.

All 3 of us got called in, the other two were in a more precarious situation, however we got left off with a simple warning...don't do it again. But this event may be traumatized me and made me realize that I need to leave my own footprint on my own work that won't resemble anyone elses....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6186 posts
648 upvotes
RobertoA179397 wrote: The person i was working with copied me..
If he copied you and you didn't know he was doing that and he's willing to accept responsibility for it, I don't see how you're in the wrong or should be punished in any way.

If it truly happened in the way you said it, you're pretty much an innocent person involved in this incident and had no idea it happened.

Otherwise, well, speaking to your Student Union about this before going any further may yield some more appropriate advice.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
Purplenim wrote: Off topic and doesn't really answer your question but reading your post really brought back a life changing event in first year.

I was in a programming course, worked with someone on an assignment, didn't blatantly copy each other, but we shared similar ideas and techniques. However I went to help somebody else who struggled, he obviously didn't copy me directly again, but somehow...his code ends up looking the same as the original person I worked with.

All 3 of us got called in, the other two were in a more precarious situation, however we got left off with a simple warning...don't do it again. But this event may be traumatized me and made me realize that I need to leave my own footprint on my own work that won't resemble anyone elses....
A warning for what? Great teamwork and sharing solid technique you gained from class?

What you should have realized is, you didn't do anything wrong and thus you shouldn't have been called in in the first place. I'd send the time I lost (if I could have been working instead) and whatever I paid to park for the meeting, to that Dean's office with the message:

"Your department is paying for the hour lost from work and parking. Thanks for wasting my time.

Sincerely,
Purplenim""
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Jul 30, 2013
238 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
RobertoA179397 wrote: Ok heres my situation, in first year i was convicted of academic offence for a 25% term paper and was given a 0 for the assignment as well as 10% reduction in the course. The tribunal also said that i would be given an annotation on my transcript of the offence which would expire within 9 months. I am now in my 5th year here at UofT and set to graduate. However The instructor has accused me of copying someones lab which is worth 2%. I explained my situation to the instructor and he said he would try and go easy on my when reporting it to the department. Will this be considered my second offence or first as the annotation previously given to me has long been expired and what can i expect? It was a 2% lab and i do not need the course to graduate.
I used to invigilate when I was an undergrad and from what I know, academic offences if proven are NEVER taken off your record and reported to all schools transferred to, to grad schools/professional schools when you apply, etc.

I had to document "alleged" cheaters and honestly, I've never heard of an academic offence that expires... then again, don't quote me on that - it's been a while since I've invigilated.

From what I know, if proven by the tribunal - this would be your second offence. The prof says "he'll try and take it easy" but trust me, schools take allegations of academic dishonesty/cheating VERY SERIOUSLY.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try my best to answer.

Best wishes.