• Feb 7th, 2021 9:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 31, 2017
61 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal

Second Gen. Sienna's (04-10)

anyone with a second gen. Sienna? how have you liked it? i'm looking to buy one used and specifically wanted to know how it holds up to rust.

also, a common problem with these is the oil cooler hoses' crappy rubber busting which causes a catastrophic loss of engine oil. I wanted to know if anyone was able to get Toyota to replace those hoses free of charge. I've seen around another forum that there may have been a form of 'recall' for this issue on Canadian Sienna's.
11 replies
Oct 3, 2017
888 posts
725 upvotes
Buying an 11 to 17 year old vehicle from any manufacturer do not expect 1 single penny from the manufacturer. The only free thing you might get would be if there was a safety recall that was not done before your purchase.
Jun 4, 2020
760 posts
674 upvotes
Clarington, ON
If you are concerned about 10 year old rubber... Replace it... No offense. This isn't a new vehicle.
Feb 26, 2017
208 posts
91 upvotes
04-06 has 3.0L engine with timing belt. Need to replace the belt at some point (may as well replace water pump together).

07-10 has 3.5L engine with timing chain that should last for the engine life. This engine in 07 model had a recall with the oil leak at top left pipe and likely all 07 siennas out there already had this done if not engine already failed.

Both engines are solid.

These minivans are reliable and easy to maintain.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6115 posts
2189 upvotes
Ottawa
Figman2 wrote: 04-06 has 3.0L engine with timing belt. Need to replace the belt at some point (may as well replace water pump together).
Just a slight correction that 06-04 had 3.3L engine with timing belt but I agree with everything else in the statement. (3.0L was 98-03)

We sold our 06 this summer and there was starting to be a bit of bubbling paint on a few spots but that's about it (never rust proofed, might have washed it 5 times in the span that we owned it (bought used in 2008)).
Feb 26, 2017
208 posts
91 upvotes
michelb wrote: Just a slight correction that 06-04 had 3.3L engine with timing belt but I agree with everything else in the statement. (3.0L was 98-03)
Ah yes, I forgot and mixed up with the older 3.0L engine, which is also a solid engine by Toyota.
Aug 30, 2017
246 posts
168 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Almost 300k on our 2004 - we had it since new. I am constantly amazed that for a van it still doesn’t have any rattles or squeaks.
Doesn’t burn oil.
A couple tiny rust spots.

The engine though, despite religious synthetic oil changes for its entire life, is feeling a little tired. The hydraulic valve lifters are getting louder and louder. Engine warm, slight gentle acceleration at low speeds and you can get those puppies tapping out a rhythm better than the late Neil Peart.

This has been a very reliable and enjoyable road trip vehicle that now only sees grocery runs around town.

Edited to add - recognize that this is a beater vehicle at this stage and there are will be lots of warts on a vehicle this old.
Apr 23, 2011
116 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Dad has an 2004 with only 150k or so, so can’t speak for high km’s ones, but It’s been a solid vehicle mechanically. Unfortunately hasn’t used it enough to justify keeping it. Have been unsuccessful in convincing DW into purchasing it.

Only issue with most in those years is the cable for the automatic side doors. The cable will rust and snap eventually. Relatively expensive fix. You could just cut it and use it as a manual door though.
Nov 8, 2004
39 posts
12 upvotes
I drive a 2005 CE model.
Bought it in 2010 from my relative with 55kkm.
Now it is 285kkm on the odometer.
There were 2 safety recalls re: the cord holding the spare tire.
Replaced the timing belt in 2011, and timing belt and water pump in 2017 following the manual, both as precaution.
Replaced AC compressor in 2018 (AC leak).
Overall a solid minivan.
Rust proof: Krown every two years. It doesnt look bad.
If you plan to buy a 15 year old car and want to keep it for a few more years, better budget in the timing belt replacement cost.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1378 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
I have an '07 purchased new, 145K km. It has been and still is a fantastic, smooth, refined vehicle.

The (VVTi) oil hoses you mention were replaced under warranty/recall.

Vehicle was never rustproofed but in the earlier years I annually sprayed Krown into the typical rust-prone areas. No rust on my vehicle but it is garaged and a darker colour (dark vehicles rust less).

Last fall the a/c started leaking so will get that checked out this year. Apparently vans with rear a/c are prone to leakage there so if that's the case will probably just cap off the rear and recharge.

Kids are grown and we no longer need a van but the utility has me keeping the vehicle for several more years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
Watch The Car Care Nut on YouTube.
He has Part1/Part2 video on Siennas 2004-2010.
One of the conclusions is to get 2005&2006 if you are DIYer.
Jan 10, 2006
481 posts
266 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: Watch The Car Care Nut on YouTube.
He has Part1/Part2 video on Siennas 2004-2010.
Haha, you beat me to it. Recommended videos and channel.

And bonus: