• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 9:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5635 posts
3554 upvotes

Secret Moderator

I had a certain person on my Ignore list because they keep posting unnecessary walls of text, and it annoys me when I mistakenly start reading their posts and waste time before realizing it is them. Recently, I noticed I am seeing this person's posts again. I tried to add them to my Ignore list again, but it says "You cannot add administrators and moderators to your foes list." This person does not look like a Moderator. Their name is not green. What is up with this?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5031 posts
2193 upvotes
In the past, I do remember a couple of posters were essentially reps for a store .... and it was indicated as such. I remember one such user which is no longer designated as such ... but it's been such a long time that they no longer work for the same company.

Could it be that the poster is a rep and that RFD does not allow reps to be blocked?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5031 posts
2193 upvotes
I have asked if RFD is aware of some users being brand representatives and I have been told no.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they are not ....

People should understand that companies do manage their online presence and paying someone to post in a forum can go a long way in helping a brand.

Also note that RFD's former owners (Yellow Pages) are/were in the business of helping businesses market themselves online. It's not that a big of a jump to think that RFD would be used to promote businesses and manage online brand.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27457 upvotes
Scarborough
Moderators for individual forums don’t appear as global moderators. We’ll look at making these users more identifiable as such in a future update for transparency.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36071 posts
10163 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: Moderators for individual forums don’t appear as global moderators. We’ll look at making these users more identifiable as such in a future update for transparency.
What does that mean?
There are moderators that are not identifies as being so?
What authority do they have? What can they do?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27457 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote: What does that mean?
There are moderators that are not identifies as being so?
Global moderators have powers everywhere. Forum moderators only have select powers in select forum. They are here to help organize and manage threads in special forums such as the Air Miles forum.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36071 posts
10163 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: Global moderators have powers everywhere. Forum moderators only have select powers in select forum. They are here to help organize and manage threads in special forums such as the Air Miles forum.
But are unidentified as moderators?
They have the same authority of forum moderators? To delete? To penalize? To issue warnings? Or, only there to "help organize and manage threads in special forums such as the Air Miles forum."?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27457 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote: But are unidentified as moderators?
They have the same authority of forum moderators? To delete? To penalize? To issue warnings? Or, only there to "help organize and manage threads in special forums such as the Air Miles forum."?
Correct, because they don't perform the regular duties of our global moderators. You wouldn't want to message someone who couldn't help you with your moderation request, would you?

As I said, they're only here to help organize. They can't penalize users.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27457 upvotes
Scarborough
hvwkzq wrote: Why don't you let us put them on our ignore lists? Otherwise I need to avoid a whole forum category because of one person.
This wasn't something we did on purpose, but rather the side effect of a non-global moderator having any moderator permissions. The people we select for this are upstanding members of the community, however I do recognize that some may still choose to ignore their posts. We'll address this issue in the new year.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11694 posts
8164 upvotes
GTA, ON
Any moderator, whether global or forum, should be identifiable IMO.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27457 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote: Any moderator, whether global or forum, should be identifiable IMO.
I agree, but I don't consider this person (or anyone in a similar role) to be a moderator. A staff title might be more appropriate and that's something we can look into next year.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28629 posts
1309 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
TomRFD wrote: I agree, but I don't consider this person (or anyone in a similar role) to be a moderator. A staff title might be more appropriate and that's something we can look into next year.
always nice to read of positive intents from admins.

Looking forward to how this is resolved.

Cheers.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8783 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: \
They can subject you to the harshest penalty the law allows...which is no penalty at all :lol: