• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 7:37 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA

Secure online cloud based in canada

I’ve heard that using one drive or google drive isn’t the best idea to store personal information. My partner and I are looking for a secure online storage including financial records and we are looking for something based in Canada, ideally. Just wondering what suggestions folks might have?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13209 posts
4556 upvotes
Roll out your own server, you can use something like owncloud.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29059 posts
14596 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: Doesn't matter where you store it. Just encrypt it.
+1 this.
Even if it's in Canada I'd encrypt it first.
FrancisBacon wrote: Get a Synology and have your own cloud.
I'm assuming that OP wants an online based service for geographic redundancy. If this is true, your idea is terrible because anything that happens to their data locally (as in physically) means that their cloud is also wiped out.

If all you want is files that are accessible though, sure. I personally wouldn't do Synology, but that's me.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3376 posts
3711 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: I'm assuming that OP wants an online based service for geographic redundancy. If this is true, your idea is terrible because anything that happens to their data locally (as in physically) means that their cloud is also wiped out.

If all you want is files that are accessible though, sure. I personally wouldn't do Synology, but that's me.
My interpretation was that he wanted to make files accessible remotely. If it was just non local backup he wanted, then he can just use BluRay, off site HDD or other portable hard drive, tapes, etc.

Synology I suggested because, if he's asking, he probably wants the easiest solution and he's not super tech savvy (vs making your own server)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: Doesn't matter where you store it. Just encrypt it.
+1
Nothing is invincible

Rotate passwords, multi factor authentication, and consider not putting all eggs in one basket.

Also depends how security paranoid you need to be.

If you're a normal user, Google works just fine and fine for 90% of the population.

If you're Edward Snowden and on the run from 95% of world's governments, that's going to be some effort.