Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Securing sensitive files

I have a fair bit of data that i need to keep private.
My newish WD backup drive has password protection already so that is sufficient but the files on the computer don't.

What do you suggest?

As i was starting this thread a 256GB flash drive with password came to mind, i can run a backup from it onto my backup drive no problem, though i would need to find one that has password protection built in.

Is there a computer based solution since the data only needs to be on the desktop anyways?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
34 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Gee wrote: If you have windows professional, you can try bitlocker
Windows 8.1, probably Home, i have the CD somewhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1896 posts
289 upvotes
COU
I use Veracrypt:

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html

You can encrypt a volume or an entire volume.

For example, I encrypt an 80GB volume using veracrypt to contain all my data. It resides in my Documents folder as "encrypted data". I then mount it in a folder using veracrypt.and use it as a normal data folder. All the encryption is done on the fly so when I am finished I just close all my documents and dismount the drive.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17664 posts
4138 upvotes
Toronto
Is your WD backup drive a desktop or portable?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4851 posts
2230 upvotes
GTA
Veracrypt is a good option. I wouldn't back up to a flash drive though. They're not the most reliable for long term storage.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5139 posts
5268 upvotes
Vancouver
Most Zip programs can use 256-bit AES encryption, which is adequate for privacy. Just zip the files you want to protect. The thing you have to watch for with that solution is leaving temporary decrypted copies around if you check the files out of the zip archive and then don't terminate the zip program properly when you exit.
Mar 5, 2018
280 posts
124 upvotes
Riffer wrote: I use Veracrypt:

For example, I encrypt an 80GB volume using veracrypt to contain all my data. It resides in my Documents folder as "encrypted data". I then mount it in a folder using veracrypt.and use it as a normal data folder. All the encryption is done on the fly so when I am finished I just close all my documents and dismount the drive.
Can your encrypted folder be in OneDrive so it'll be copied to the cloud?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4851 posts
2230 upvotes
GTA
TomShopper wrote: Can your encrypted folder be in OneDrive so it'll be copied to the cloud?

Thanks
There are solutions like Cryptomator that are more specialized for cloud use.
May 31, 2006
79 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
TomShopper wrote: Can your encrypted folder be in OneDrive so it'll be copied to the cloud?

Thanks
I keep a veracrypt container in my dropbox folder and it automatically syncs to the cloud. Quite convenient. Should work the same way with OneDrive.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Riffer wrote: I use Veracrypt:

Interesting, i like this in that it can run on the drive i already have.
audit13 wrote: Is your WD backup drive a desktop or portable?
Both, the desktop data drive is a WD and the backup drive is a WD MyBook from Costco.
Dave98 wrote: Veracrypt is a good option. I wouldn't back up to a flash drive though. They're not the most reliable for long term storage.
Other way around, i was thinking of using the flash drive for access and the WD MyBook for backup.
Scote64 wrote: Most Zip programs can use 256-bit AES encryption, which is adequate for privacy. Just zip the files you want to protect. The thing you have to watch for with that solution is leaving temporary decrypted copies around if you check the files out of the zip archive and then don't terminate the zip program properly when you exit.
This gets clunky because adding and subtracting and editing files can lead to mistakes and new versions not being saved or corruption if the program screws up on file changes and additions and subtractions. I've had errors like these over the decades (boy i'm old) without even using password protection. These days i unzip, do my work then rezip. But that also not practical with many GBs of data, it would take too long and need double the space.

For a single backup its fine but for daily use i don't think its the best way to go.
alpovs wrote: TrueCrypt
Apparently this is no longer updated :(
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3252 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
alpovs wrote: TrueCrypt
FrancisBacon wrote: VeraCrypt has now superceded it.
Quentin5 wrote: Apparently this is no longer updated :(
The story is dark. As I remember it, TrueCrypt was audited and nothing malicious was found. It's creators remained anonymous. I remember a few stories from the news that special services couldn't decrypt (and still can't) whatever was encrypted by it, which caused their discontent. Then TrueCrypt vanished and VeraCrypt showed up, and I don't hear much discontent about VeraCrypt. My personal take on this - VeraCrypt is backdoored, and TrueCrypt was the real thing. One can still probably find binaries on the net.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: The story is dark. As I remember it, TrueCrypt was audited and nothing malicious was found. It's creators remained anonymous. I remember a few stories from the news that special services couldn't decrypt (and still can't) whatever was encrypted by it, which caused their discontent. Then TrueCrypt vanished and VeraCrypt showed up, and I don't hear much discontent about VeraCrypt. My personal take on this - VeraCrypt is backdoored, and TrueCrypt was the real thing. One can still probably find binaries on the net.
Do you have solid evidence backing your theory?

Also the problem with no longer updated is that it may have been solid at the time but vulnerabilities can be found in almost anything if given enough time, bugs in hardware and software have been found that go back well over a decade.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3252 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: Do you have solid evidence backing your theory?

Also the problem with no longer updated is that it may have been solid at the time but vulnerabilities can be found in almost anything if given enough time, bugs in hardware and software have been found that go back well over a decade.
Solid evidence? LOL! I wrote it was my personal take. I don't insist. Vulnerabilities can be found or can be introduced ;) Do you have solid evidence that TrueCrypt has vulnerabilities now, given some still can't decrypt whatever was encrypted by it?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: Solid evidence? LOL! I wrote it was my personal take. I don't insist. Vulnerabilities can be found or can be introduced ;) Do you have solid evidence that TrueCrypt has vulnerabilities now, given some still can't decrypt whatever was encrypted by it?
I simply asked you a question.
Your personal take is great for you but i have no idea how much merit to assign it as this is not my field of expertise (hence this thread).

In medicine (especially in these days of covid) when someone makes a statement i ask for evidence. You made a computer science statement, i asked for evidence.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3252 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: I simply asked you a question.
Your personal take is great for you but i have no idea how much merit to assign it as this is not my field of expertise (hence this thread).

In medicine (especially in these days of covid) when someone makes a statement i ask for evidence. You made a computer science statement, i asked for evidence.
I explained the story, then I wrote that it was my personal opinion and even highlighted it. If I had evidence, I would have linked it. Google it. Now I recall, I think the Canadian guy who stored other people's cryptowallets had this info encrypted by TrueCrypt, and he died, and so far nobody could decrypt it. Google it as I may be wrong because I don't follow this story specifically. And this is not medicine, more like a religion ;)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: I explained the story, then I wrote that it was my personal opinion and even highlighted it. If I had evidence, I would have linked it. Google it. Now I recall, I think the Canadian guy who stored other people's cryptowallets had this info encrypted by TrueCrypt, and he died, and so far nobody could decrypt it. Google it as I may be wrong because I don't follow this story specifically.
I get what your saying but also a state actor or specialty firm can have more resources, there is the Apple phone cracking by a specific company that was sold to state actors for a fee, nobody outside them has been able to replicate it. Though i don't think the world's governments are going after this guys crypto wallet at any cost.

And this is not medicine, more like a religion ;)
And theres the problem, Quentin5 is allergic to religion.
Except the Flying Spaghetti Monster, thats dudes real Winking Face
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17664 posts
4138 upvotes
Toronto
If you are using a portal WD with a password for backup, get a different back up drive because the WD probably has the USB port soldered to the drive's logic board. A damaged USB port makes it very difficult to retrieve any data.