Home & Garden

Security camera between houses - any legal issues to be aware of?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 8:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1028 posts
261 upvotes

Security camera between houses - any legal issues to be aware of?

Screenshot_20200504-212441_Blue Iris.jpg
I'm left. Neighbour right.

I added a camera (already 7 outside, 6 inside) to the side of my house. It's about a 10 foot wide laneway between my house and neighbour. It surveils a garage side door, garage window and side door to basement side split rec. Room.

Noticed that neighbour glares at it... we ain't on best terms but this is a.o.k. right? Toronto.
Last edited by stansoltz on May 4th, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5790 posts
2550 upvotes
Durham
Talk about being paranoid.

7 outside cameras and 6 inside cameras.

HOLY CRAP! OVERKILL!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1028 posts
261 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: Talk about being paranoid.

7 outside cameras and 6 inside cameras.

HOLY CRAP! OVERKILL!
I see you...!
Member
Jun 10, 2008
492 posts
362 upvotes
Halton Hills
People are generally nosey. He's probably just taking a peak.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2010
1573 posts
1027 upvotes
Barrie ON
stansoltz wrote: Screenshot_20200504-212441_Blue Iris.jpg

I'm left. Neighbour right.

I added a camera (already 7 outside, 6 inside) to the side of my house. It's about a 10 foot wide laneway between my house and neighbour. It surveils a garage side door, garage window and side door to basement side split rec. Room.

Noticed that neighbour glares at it... we ain't on best terms but this is a.o.k. right? Toronto.

As long as you have no view into a neighbors window, or any areas where the neighbor may want some privacy, like around the pool, I don't think he should be concerned.

You could offer to show him your image of what can be seen with the camera, and explain to him that it will also help to deter break-ins and vandalism to his home as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1217 posts
728 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
If the neighbour does call the city on you. The city inspector will visit and tell you to reposition the camera(s) to only view your property. Once adjustments are made, the inspector will re-visit the site and need to see (via monitor or device) that the changes were made. The reason I know this, my buddy went through this last year because of his a-hole neighbour.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
5275 posts
2714 upvotes
Bianco13 wrote: If the neighbour does call the city on you. The city inspector will visit and tell you to reposition the camera(s) to only view your property. Once adjustments are made, the inspector will re-visit the site and need to see (via monitor or device) that the changes were made. The reason I know this, my buddy went through this last year because of his a-hole neighbour.
How does this work in regards to doorbell cameras? Many people have at least that now a days, and many cameras catch the frontage if neighbours homes.
Is this strictly by a complaint basis? is this law?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
23595 posts
30974 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: How does this work in regards to doorbell cameras? Many people have at least that now a days, and many cameras catch the frontage if neighbours homes.
Is this strictly by a complaint basis? is this law?
It is a by-law issue that varies from city to city . Toronto is supposed to look into it later this year

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/02/14/ ... e-cameras/

Here is article on Hamilton by-law

https://www.canadiansecuritymag.com/mun ... l-cameras/
Ye wife is in me dms baby.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2004
2866 posts
540 upvotes
Ontario
jdmfishingonly wrote: Talk about being paranoid.

7 outside cameras and 6 inside cameras.

HOLY CRAP! OVERKILL!
not really
Many years ago, i wish I had inside cameras, when the cops beat the crap out of me. Grant it, after a court battle I got my assault charges thrown out. Now if I had video footage, they would have had a lawsuit on their hands.
So joke, all you want, those who are suppose to protect you, often is not the case.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Sr. Member
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
192 upvotes
Leask
OP, you are the type of neighbor that I hate to have lol.

I have three outside cameras myself and they are placed so that neighbor won’t complaint.

I do have a doorbell camera and that’s the one that can see the houses across from me.

Backyard camera, I won’t dare point at my neighbor, that’s just not right. If someone did that to me, I will review my bylaw and call city ASAP. If bylaw don’t do shxt, I will add security cam point at them. The neighbors daughter regularly wear swimsuit and sun tan, if I put a security cam at them is just flat out not right. We are good neighbors

So don’t be that guy!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
5023 posts
1700 upvotes
Buy some cameras with a narrower FOV. There's no reason for it to be so wide.

40% of your frame is literally just your siding. Another 40% is your neighbor's siding.
Let's hug it out
Sr. Member
Apr 4, 2017
582 posts
458 upvotes
On my street, a number of us have doorbell and nest cameras. There was a rash of car break-ins a while back and my neighbours were happy to know that the cameras were able to see the perps on their property. It's our own little neighbourhood watch.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)