Home & Garden

Security camera installation - how much?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2021 1:26 pm
[OP]
Member
Oct 14, 2001
328 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville

Security camera installation - how much?

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my Ring and Nest cameras with a PoE system - something like this: https://reolink.com/ca/product/rlk8-800b4/

However, my house is from the 1980s (it's a two story with a connected garage out front) and it's not pre-wired. How much should I expect to pay to have this installed? I assume they'll run it through the soffits, maybe through the garage, and ultimately to an NVR in the basement? I received a quote from a local "home automation" company and it was for $3000 for the labour (but sounded like it was more of a full retrofit - and the company seemed to cater to high-end luxury properties).

Is this generally a difficult job to do? Is there anything I should look for specifically, or questions I should be asking?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ashtangi on May 20th, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
736 posts
1130 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
How many cameras and there placement makes a big difference in part/labor. Can you share insight?
[OP]
Member
Oct 14, 2001
328 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
fordmaple wrote: How many cameras and there placement makes a big difference in part/labor. Can you share insight?
4 cameras and I expect they will all be secured to the soffits. 2 in the backyard, 1 in the side, 1 in the front. To clarify, the quote I received was just from a phone conversation - they hadn't seen the house or the proposed camera locations (the price was just the install, it didn't include the actual camera system).
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
736 posts
1130 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
They quoted $3k as it's worst case scenario. 4 cameras in those places can be done with 2 guys in 1 day or 2 at most. $3k seems high. I'd say $1k in product and $1k in labor. $3k is too much for 4 cameras. ($3k without any product is outrageous!)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4370 posts
1718 upvotes
GTA
Is the basement finished? If its not then wiring should be easy, you can go from the basement to the attic via the cold air return.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2005
4794 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
Get more quotes. Just had 3 Hikvision 8MP 4K cameras installed with a 2TB drive for $1600. This was both the hardware and labour, my basement is finished.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33338 posts
7026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If the installers says they will install on the soffits, find another installer

Cameras should be mounted on a utility box that is secured to the brick.

Expect ~2000$ for labour and cameras
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
4919 posts
1272 upvotes
This dude is well reviewed and has his own YouTube channel showing a variety of installs.

A lot less than $3k labour alone.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6483 posts
1071 upvotes
I have seen this topics a few times. It really depending on the house, including if you have a finished basement. I paid less than $1k labour to install 4 POE cameras in my previous house 10 years ago. I paid about $2500 labour to run 9 POE cameras in my current house 3 years ago. In some cases, they have to run a conduit or two outside the house if you don’t want to damage the drywall inside. This was done by a contractor working in security system install. Took 2 people about 2-3 days of work. The cost included CAT6 cables.
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
124 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
just curious why you are replacing the Ring and Nest cameras?
Ashtangi wrote: Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my Ring and Nest cameras with a PoE system - something like this: https://reolink.com/ca/product/rlk8-800b4/

However, my house is from the 1980s (it's a two story with a connected garage out front) and it's not pre-wired. How much should I expect to pay to have this installed? I assume they'll run it through the soffits, maybe through the garage, and ultimately to an NVR in the basement? I received a quote from a local "home automation" company and it was for $3000 for the labour (but sounded like it was more of a full retrofit - and the company seemed to cater to high-end luxury properties).

Is this generally a difficult job to do? Is there anything I should look for specifically, or questions I should be asking?

Thanks!
[OP]
Member
Oct 14, 2001
328 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
No.6 wrote: just curious why you are replacing the Ring and Nest cameras?
I want continuous recording which isn't available with Ring, and the outdoor Nest options require a power source. I figure a standalone PoE solution will offer more flexibility going forward.
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
124 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
True. Thanks
Ashtangi wrote: I want continuous recording which isn't available with Ring, and the outdoor Nest options require a power source. I figure a standalone PoE solution will offer more flexibility going forward.
Jr. Member
Mar 9, 2019
137 posts
69 upvotes
Look for H.265 4K cameras (video quality in incredible) or at least H.265 (reduces data storage so you can save more). If you go 4K get at least 4TB "Purple" HD (its made for surveillance storage)
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2009
840 posts
283 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: This dude is well reviewed and has his own YouTube channel showing a variety of installs.

A lot less than $3k labour alone.
I want that dude, but, where is he?

Edit: LOL never mind, I literally only saw the link within the HTML reply code.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
8289 posts
1222 upvotes
TO
Gee wrote: If the installers says they will install on the soffits, find another installer

Cameras should be mounted on a utility box that is secured to the brick.

Expect ~2000$ for labour and cameras
I'm shopping around for PoE cameras and one of the installers mentioned they can use Powerline adapters to connect the cameras, in order to not have to run long wires across the home, is this normal way to go about it? Would you recommend any installer in the GTA, near mississuga?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33338 posts
7026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TorontoEh wrote: I'm shopping around for PoE cameras and one of the installers mentioned they can use Powerline adapters to connect the cameras, in order to not have to run long wires across the home, is this normal way to go about it? Would you recommend any installer in the GTA, near mississuga?
Don’t use power line adapters. You don’t get full speed running your data through your electrical wiring. Plus it is unsightly to have these bricks plugged into your receptacles

If your basement is not finished, this is a relatively easy job. As long s you are installing cameras outside of your house. Even the main floor of the house is relatively easy., The problem is with second floor installations in the house. Exterior is fine as there is usually a gap between the brick and the house.

If you plan to do it, then do it properly and run CAT6 wiring and get a proper PoE switch to handle your cameras. Most NVRs include the PoE switch on the back., But most people just run it out of the box using double NAT which is a bad idea but doesn’t really affect the system,

I will send you a name of an installer I have used in the past
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
8289 posts
1222 upvotes
TO
Gee wrote: Don’t use power line adapters. You don’t get full speed running your data through your electrical wiring. Plus it is unsightly to have these bricks plugged into your receptacles

If your basement is not finished, this is a relatively easy job. As long s you are installing cameras outside of your house. Even the main floor of the house is relatively easy., The problem is with second floor installations in the house. Exterior is fine as there is usually a gap between the brick and the house.

If you plan to do it, then do it properly and run CAT6 wiring and get a proper PoE switch to handle your cameras. Most NVRs include the PoE switch on the back., But most people just run it out of the box using double NAT which is a bad idea but doesn’t really affect the system,

I will send you a name of an installer I have used in the past
Thanks Gee, appreciate the detailed explanation and guidance. I suppose it makes a big difference b/w CAT5, Cat5e and others I don't want to be picky with the companies as they usually just say on the phone ' 4mp cameras 2tb hardrive, the moment I go in specs they don't care. I will call your installer and see if they have the good units.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33338 posts
7026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TorontoEh wrote: Thanks Gee, appreciate the detailed explanation and guidance. I suppose it makes a big difference b/w CAT5, Cat5e and others I don't want to be picky with the companies as they usually just say on the phone ' 4mp cameras 2tb hardrive, the moment I go in specs they don't care. I will call your installer and see if they have the good units.
CAT5e is all you really need. You don’t need CAT6 or anything higher.

HikVision, LTS, Galaxy etc are all decent (HikVision OEMs) brands.

Mississauga has a lot of security camera dealers. Do a quick search and you will find over a dozen within 30 minutes of each other.

Top