Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
742 posts
71 upvotes

Security and Private Investigator License - Ontario

Hi,

What is the process like for obtaining a Security and Private Investigator License in Ontario? Is testing hard? Will prospective employers help you with obtaining the license? Any information is helpful.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2336 posts
1471 upvotes
You pay a fee to take training for a week and then write a test. It's not rocket science. It's more of a money grab than anything. Fees vary depending on where you do the training/testing.

Getting your license will at least guarantee a job somewhere. There's a high turnover rate with security companies as the wage isn't great and you usually literally get paid to sit or stand and do nothing all day.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1989 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
Unfortunately with many security companies if you do a simple job search around the GTA, many of them pay low close to minimum wage and/or around 30-32K salary.
May 23, 2015
45 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I'm kinda curious about this, not security but Private Investigator. Is anyone in it or know anything about it? How is the job outlook/employment prospects (Toronto) or other areas?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2336 posts
1471 upvotes
searcherseeker wrote: I'm kinda curious about this, not security but Private Investigator. Is anyone in it or know anything about it? How is the job outlook/employment prospects (Toronto) or other areas?
Most PI jobs area piece work: you get certain assignments and bill per hour based on what you work. It's not a bad gig if you catch on with a good company. The downsides are that your hours are irregular (not a typical 9-5 gig for obvious reasons).
Dec 25, 2006
370 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
There are community colleges offering the course, look in your area. Of course, there are a lot of security companies doing in person and online training as well. You have to pay from own pocket for the course including the first-aid course, ministry's test and license. First aid course will be in person, rest of the training can be done online. Security license is separate, private investigator license is separate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
i've heard a lot of companies not even giving fulltime hours, is this true?

they keep reducing hours for many people....
Nov 11, 2006
938 posts
1177 upvotes
@home
Get employed by a company that has "in-house" security

3rd party or contract security is a very crappy gig unless you have experience, or find some high end site that that contract pays good $$.

Most you'll make starting out (if you're lucky) is 13 to 13.50.

I know supervisors that make 15$ an hour, the industry is so polluted now with immigrants who work crazy hours for like 11$ an hour.

When starting out you'll be:
A) on call, no steady hours (usually called VERY Last minute)
B) sent to a VERY crappy site no one else will work
C) maybe never actually get any work
D) work the most horrible hours (graves, 12-16 hour shifts)
E) be deducted for the most ridiculous things from your paycheck (uniform, training, dry cleaning, etc)
Jul 22, 2015
291 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You pay a $200-300 fee with a security company and they will provide the 40 hours of required hours including First Aid/CPR certification.
After with the help of your training agency, you will write your exam and if you pass you will receive an Ontario Security Guard License.
I'd recommend getting into Concierge because there are always companies hiring and after one year experience you can apply to more high end companies/hotels where they tend to start you off at $14+.
If you have a lot of customer service experience, apply to Forest Hill Group and if you can really sell yourself in the interview, you'll start at $14/hr but most likely work swing shifts or irregular hours.
Unless you have horrible communication skills or are completely clueless of the real world, you'll always have a job.
If you get hired by a smaller company, I recommend you work your ass off and pick up all the shifts, get to know the managers, and really suck up. You'll be promoted to Site Supervisor and after one year experience, you apply to Site Supervisor positions,
they tend to start at 16+/hr.
Good Luck.