Automotive

Seeking Advice: Anyway to tell if Auto parts are Genuine, online and in store.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2012 1:11 am
[OP]
Dec 3, 2009
262 posts
72 upvotes
Burlington

Seeking Advice: Anyway to tell if Auto parts are Genuine, online and in store.

Hi I need a Pair of struts for our Car which is a 2007 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.4 auto and am thinking of purchasing online I have used online shopping for most things but I am really concerned about Knock off and Fake auto parts or any other thing which has the possibility of causing harm or even actual bodily injury by deceptive practices.

So I'm looking to hear other peoples experiences I know my daughter had some knock off handbags pretty sure they all fell apart rather quickly I tinker with mechanical things and definitely know that you get what you pay ( my granny told me that one) and by my own trial and error experience.

I have also since I was 8 or 9 years old worked on my bicycles,mopeds, motorcycles,cars,vans,campers and trailers boats done some of my own work on my vehicles so I have a little practical experience but not an expert,if its beyond my capabilities I use someone else, I did have a couple good guys but there both moved out of the trade or retiring.

I can trust enough to buy online because I do the research and by that I mean taking into account whether the product is actually fit for the purpose that it is sold for and will the product meet My needs, by that I mean my expectations.

I will and have paid the price to get Premium Parts so that I don't have to do the job over before I expect the end of Life of the car.

I am leaning towards buying from Rock Auto after reading another RFD thread.

I need to order by end of week so any help is very much appreciated.

I feel I should state I am not in Auto industry or work for anyone associated with it and would say I am an educated consumer Frugal not Cheap please don't be offended RFD is a majorTool in my research an Invaluable place to share experiences.

Just remembered I worked in a tire plant in my twenty's for a while in a retread plant in Queensland Australia as a laborer for about a year.

I should also ask for your patience if my grammar or spelling is not A1 my thoughts are okay but I suspect I have a wiring problem.

This is my first thread so I being a little cautious, I was in Caledonia last week and missed that accident by a couple hours.

Bye for Now Poppa Bear.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7737 posts
1627 upvotes
You got quotes from dealers too ?? Sometimes there prices are not bad, especially if you need in a hurry and go with OEM parts.

There is a grey area of what is "Genuine". Most car manufactures don't even make all their parts, a lot of times they buy from parts manufactures, such as Magna which owns Canadian Tire. So, is it genuine if Magna just truned around and label or remake a similar part and label it as Motor Masters instead of "Honda/Toyota/Nissan" ??

I think it is more important to get the parts from the right place that offer good quaility parts, with warranty and allows return and such then focus on "Genuine" of not.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
been ordering some big priced items from them for some time, never a fake or knock off as you said. they send you what they described. excellent website especially if you can wait a week for your parts.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
202 upvotes
hdom wrote: such as Magna which owns Canadian Tire.

Magna does not own Canadian Tire? Canadian Tire is a publically traded company, and I see no evidence that Magna owns a majority of voting shares...
[OP]
Dec 3, 2009
262 posts
72 upvotes
Burlington
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: What make and model vehicle do you have?
Sorry will edit that 2007 Chev HHR LT 2.4 owned two years she does 50,000 km per year brakes at 75% EOL shes a very soft driver indeed travels off hours (Nurse)..
[OP]
Dec 3, 2009
262 posts
72 upvotes
Burlington
packardbell wrote: then go rockauto or your local parts shop.
Thanks for your input will decide today.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15097 upvotes
I've never really heard of knock off or fake auto parts except for maybe big-name parts like Brembo. Or those ghetto independently drilled/slotted rotors that may start off as Brembo "blanks" but certainly aren't the same as real Brembo drilled/slotted rotors.

Other than that there's the el-cheapo "jobber" type China-made parts which are pretty crap and mainly useful for shady-guy used car dealerships to certify cars or for people that are soon going to sell/retire/get rid of their car, but still need it running for the short term.

Unfortunately lots of "real" parts are made cheaply in China these days too, which doesn't help things. Even some companies' "premium" parts are crap from China these days--if they don't do this they'll go out of business as the majority of people want to buy things on the cheap so the China-made junk outsells more expensive parts.

Best advice I can give you is stop looking out for alleged "counterfeit" auto parts and start looking for where the parts are made. China is typically not desirable if you're concerned about what you're putting on your vehicle in terms of safety and longevity. US, Canadian, Japanese, German, and even Mexican parts, better than China. Another tip is not to buy from shady or questionable dealers/shops/internet retailers as that is typically the type of channel where the counterfeits (if there are any) are going through.

Since you have a GM car, you should probably stick to Delco/GM parts wherever possible and either buy from a dealer or a reputable Delco parts place.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2009
262 posts
72 upvotes
Burlington
ES_Revenge wrote: I've never really heard of knock off or fake auto parts except for maybe big-name parts like Brembo. Or those ghetto independently drilled/slotted rotors that may start off as Brembo "blanks" but certainly aren't the same as real Brembo drilled/slotted rotors.

Other than that there's the el-cheapo "jobber" type China-made parts which are pretty crap and mainly useful for shady-guy used car dealerships to certify cars or for people that are soon going to sell/retire/get rid of their car, but still need it running for the short term.

Unfortunately lots of "real" parts are made cheaply in China these days too, which doesn't help things. Even some companies' "premium" parts are crap from China these days--if they don't do this they'll go out of business as the majority of people want to buy things on the cheap so the China-made junk outsells more expensive parts.

Best advice I can give you is stop looking out for alleged "counterfeit" auto parts and start looking for where the parts are made. China is typically not desirable if you're concerned about what you're putting on your vehicle in terms of safety and longevity. US, Canadian, Japanese, German, and even Mexican parts, better than China. Another tip is not to buy from shady or questionable dealers/shops/internet retailers as that is typically the type of channel where the counterfeits (if there are any) are going through.

Since you have a GM car, you should probably stick to Delco/GM parts wherever possible and either buy from a dealer or a reputable Delco parts place.
Will check availability AC Delco too.
Great advice thankyou, sorry maybe I was not clear i want to avoid knock offs, but your Jobber description jogs some old memories I think they use a grading system of some kind...the car was built in mexico , funny you mention that because the radio clock is resetting itself every night to when the car was produced I guess some battery somewhere is dying... my main battery is in trunk which is a good design keeps corrosion down, I just tested and cleaned it with my smart charger.
Any one have tips on where to look I am sure its just a battery to save settings on radio or an indication of a problem on that circuit... another symptom I notice is the wipers some times seem to have total power loss with a dimming of dash brightness ?? make any sense? I think ill search for an owner forum. thanks again