• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2019 1:22 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
350 posts
701 upvotes

Seeking advice for a NVR / PoE Outdoor Security Solution

Hi Everyone,

We recently moved into our pre-construction build home. We had the builder pre-wire Cat6 cables for a future security solution (they recommended 5 cameras to cover all angles). I figured we would look for some good deals during BF but I found there are a lot more deals for wireless or DVR solutions.

So far, not much luck on finding a good deal. I've read Hikvision is good but I would need to import these, which is not ideal.

Have not seen many good reviews for Lorex, but have been pleased with Costco's return policy that I may need to try this if I want it installed before the winter: https://www.costco.ca/lorex-8-channel-4 ... 21514.html

8 Channels gives me the option to expand it (with other cameras) if needed. The auto-light is a great deterrent which is sometimes a lot of the battle. If we can deter a thief, better than recording one well.

There are also some brands on sale on BestBuy.ca but I have not seen many articles recommend them (e.g. Night Owl, Defender)

Any of those really worthwhile? Or any other recommendations I may have missed?

Thanks!
2 replies
May 7, 2015
330 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Presents wrote: Hi Everyone,

We recently moved into our pre-construction build home. We had the builder pre-wire Cat6 cables for a future security solution (they recommended 5 cameras to cover all angles). I figured we would look for some good deals during BF but I found there are a lot more deals for wireless or DVR solutions.

So far, not much luck on finding a good deal. I've read Hikvision is good but I would need to import these, which is not ideal.

Have not seen many good reviews for Lorex, but have been pleased with Costco's return policy that I may need to try this if I want it installed before the winter: https://www.costco.ca/lorex-8-channel-4 ... 21514.html

8 Channels gives me the option to expand it (with other cameras) if needed. The auto-light is a great deterrent which is sometimes a lot of the battle. If we can deter a thief, better than recording one well.

There are also some brands on sale on BestBuy.ca but I have not seen many articles recommend them (e.g. Night Owl, Defender)

Any of those really worthwhile? Or any other recommendations I may have missed?

Thanks!
If you prewired cat6, then look for Poe or ip cameras these nvr cams use BNC connectors not Ethernet - you would have to rewire the house again for these cams
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
350 posts
701 upvotes
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: If you prewired cat6, then look for Poe or ip cameras these nvr cams use BNC connectors not Ethernet - you would have to rewire the house again for these cams
Thank you for the insight. I ran into that when looking at many of the BF deals but found the DVR ones were the ones that used BNC connectors.

I am far from an expert, but I may have read these wrong, but I thought NVR was PoE. Perhaps this is not always the case, but the Lorex one I was looking at with Costco has the following specs:

Channels: 8
Included Cameras: 4× 4K IP Active Deterrence Cameras
Hard Drive: 2TB security-grade 100% duty cycle hard drive
Resolution: 4K (8MP) Ultra High Definition (HD)*
Remote Viewing Capabilities: Yes - with Lorex Cloud™ app for viewing on PC, Mac, iOS®, & Android™ devices
Camera Connectivity: PoE (Power over Ethernet) Class
Image Sensor Type: 1/2.5” 8 Megapixel Sensor
Viewing Angle: 128° Field of View
Night Vision: up to 40m (130ft) with ambient lighting, 28m (90ft) in complete darkness
Indoor or Outdoor Use: Weatherproof IP66 rated cameras for indoor or outdoor installation
Maximum Operating Temperature:
NVR: -10° ~ 55°C (14° ~ 131° F)
HD Security Camera: -30° ~ 60°C (-22° ~ 140°F)
Warranty: 2 year manufacturer warranty

Link: https://www.costco.ca/lorex-8-channel-4 ... 21514.html

I think this one should work. Beauty of Costco is I can probably return without questions if I get the wrong one.