• Sep 12th, 2020 12:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3304 posts
660 upvotes

Seeking advice on Washer/Dryer Sets

I have to buy a new dryer, since ours doesn't dry properly anymore --but my significant other wants matching sets. I saw LG are pretty cheap now, and also Samsung. I am not experienced at this at all. I know Maytag used to be good back in the day.
Any advice would be grateful.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Why does it not dry well anymore? Might want to check if the duct/outlet are clogged with lint.

As for Korean quality:

Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12094 posts
3405 upvotes
GTA
EEE2 wrote: I have to buy a new dryer, since ours doesn't dry properly anymore --but my significant other wants matching sets. I saw LG are pretty cheap now, and also Samsung. I am not experienced at this at all. I know Maytag used to be good back in the day.
Any advice would be grateful.
LG make a great washing machine, consistently top of ratings.

Samsung are garbage, among the worst you can buy. Steer well clear.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2586 posts
1071 upvotes
Mississauga
Hugh Jass wrote: LG make a great washing machine, consistently top of ratings.

Samsung are garbage, among the worst you can buy. Steer well clear.
+1
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15445 posts
4606 upvotes
London
thriftshopper wrote: Why does it not dry well anymore? Might want to check if the duct/outlet are clogged with lint.
A buddy had the same problem - turned out to be lint plugging the exit grill on the exhaust vent outside
Jun 30, 2009
642 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
If it's not heating up, I've experienced that. Turned out to be an issue with the timer dial. I bought a replacement part for around $100, installed it, and problem solved. But it could also be the thermostat - a coworker said that was his issue.

You can check with a $20 multimeter and a YouTube video as a guide.

If it does heat up but clothes are still wet, it could be clogged ducts and vents.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5537 posts
1172 upvotes
i recently did a comparison between LG/Samsung and others
we ended up with the Electrolux set
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11560 posts
6087 upvotes
Brampton
Avoid Samsung at all costs.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1838 posts
1509 upvotes
Toronto
People here loooove to bash Samsung. But I'm certainly having a tough time with a GE Washer.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9941 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
Whirlpool or maytag
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Apr 25, 2010
182 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
akito925 wrote: Whirlpool or maytag
I thought Maytag quality went down in recent years? I'm looking to buy a washer/dryer set too, and am hoping to find something that won't cause problems so soon.
Last edited by Drethis on Sep 9th, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pays ya money and takes ya chances.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jun 4, 2013
446 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Drethis wrote: I though Maytag quality went down in recent years? I'm looking to buy a washer/dryer set too, and am hoping to find something that won't cause problems so soon.
Currently have a Whirlpool . I think the best way is just buy the most basic ones. Just have the Washing/Dryer. No need for fancy LED displays, WiFi connection etc etc. Just a good old back with basic function. The more functions the more stuff can go wrong and won't last as long.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5944 posts
2435 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Using basic top load washer with agitator and basic dryer for almost past decade... looking to replace and wow so many choices... mostly front load and many top load do not have agitator... all use less water then what we have.

Costco in store has LG WM3400CW washer and LG DLE3400W dryer. The dryer is $700 and washer probably same or perhaps $30-40 more [price not marked in store].

Anyone can comment on these?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.