Automotive

Seeking recommnedations for a auto shop in GTA that can fix Honda oil leak issues

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2021 10:25 pm
Oct 9, 2019
15 posts
22 upvotes

Seeking recommnedations for a auto shop in GTA that can fix Honda oil leak issues

I have a Honda Pilot 2006 model with 145000 km and it is leaking oil. The dealership diagnosed it as rear main seal leak and oil pump leak , oil pan leak and right driveshaft and they quoted about $7000.

My Yelp searches have been fruitless as most car service shops on Yelp do not do this kind of work. Can you recommend me a mechanic that can handle this kind of work ? I am also looking to get the timing belt and new water pump while the car is in the shop.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: At that age, if the leak is not that big, try some engine oil stop leak additive. I am guessing you are only keeping this vehicle for a few more years before rust and other problems takes over.
Example https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/luca ... 0260p.html
I would not put that stuff into the crankcase.

Where is OP located? Important detail.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5284 upvotes
GTA
BDSL wrote: At that age, if the leak is not that big, try some engine oil stop leak additive. I am guessing you are only keeping this vehicle for a few more years before rust and other problems takes over.
Example https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/luca ... 0260p.html
Terrible advice, he's asking about fixing his car, not destroying it.
It's really unusual for Pilot with low mileage to leak from every possible spot. Clean the engine,spray Simple Green on cool engine, scrub, let it sit, hose down with garden hose not power washer and go from there. Maybe you only have one leak but everything is covered with oil.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
KorruptioN wrote: I would not put that stuff into the crankcase.

Where is OP located? Important detail.
The oil additive just reconditions the seals. It is a temporary fix for small leaks.
What do you recommend? The vehicle is only worth roughly $4000 and you want the OP to spend roughly +$5000 on repair....with no guarantee that the oil leak will be solved. You know, as soon as you start opening up older engines, you will find other problems.

He is better off not repairing the vehicle, sell the vehicle, and spend the money on a "better" vehicle.
The rear main seal will require removing the transmission from the engine...it is labour intensive.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Tommy74 wrote: Terrible advice, he's asking about fixing his car, not destroying it.
It's really unusual for Pilot with low mileage to leak from every possible spot. Clean the engine,spray Simple Green on cool engine, scrub, let it sit, hose down with garden hose not power washer and go from there. Maybe you only have one leak but everything is covered with oil.
I suspect the OP didn't drive the vehicle much. The seals must have dried up while it was parked for a while. The other gaskets and seals are probably dried up too.
A complete engine overhaul is not cheap.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: The oil additive just reconditions the seals. It is a temporary fix for small leaks.
What do you recommend? The vehicle is only worth roughly $4000 and you want the OP to spend roughly +$5000 on repair....with no guarantee that the oil leak will be solved. You know, as soon as you start opening up older engines, you will find other problems.

He is better off not repairing the vehicle, sell the vehicle, and spend the money on a "better" vehicle.
The rear main seal will require removing the transmission from the engine...it is labour intensive.
The oil additive "reconditions" the seals by swelling them, in the hopes that it better closes off the leak. I would not consider this a fix. I would rather keep adding oil and monitoring the oil level than put that junk into the engine.

My hunch says it's the stealership trying to frisk the OP. A good trustworthy independent shop (depending on where OP is) can likely find the source of the leak and provide advice based on what's wrong. It could be as simple (relatively) as a valve cover gasket leak that's gotten all over everything.
Deal with it.
Oct 9, 2019
15 posts
22 upvotes
I suspect the OP didn't drive the vehicle much. The seals must have dried up while it was parked for a while. The other gaskets and seals are probably dried up too.
A complete engine overhaul is not cheap.

Yes. We live in North York not very far from a subway station. The car is mainly for weekly grocery shopping , hauling kids and a few long trips on vacations; I am the only owner of this car and we have kept up with all Honda service reminders . The old leak was a shocker for us as we have "babied" this car. I don't want to buy a new car just yet as I was laid off recently. I have a new job but I don't have the nerves to take on new car payments just yet. I am hoping to squeeze another 50k km from this car .
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2017
1600 posts
2482 upvotes
Add a UV dye and drive it for a half hour then use a flashlight to find the actual leaks instead of whats been blowing around down there. Probably best done at night unless you have a garage.
Last edited by oilerfan89 on Jul 13th, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
mrmichaelscott wrote: Yes. We live in North York not very far from a subway station. The car is mainly for weekly grocery shopping , hauling kids and a few long trips on vacations; I am the only owner of this car and we have kept up with all Honda service reminders . The old leak was a shocker for us as we have "babied" this car. I don't want to buy a new car just yet as I was laid off recently. I have a new job but I don't have the nerves to take on new car payments just yet. I am hoping to squeeze another 50k km from this car .
My assumptions were correct. Oil leak happens to older vehicles all the time....combination of salt, age, wear, etc.
Sound like you are a responsible parent by watching your spending. Maybe do some research on the oil leak additive and decide for yourself.
But it does sound like a lot of your seals and gaskets are going. Taking everything off is very labour intensive. Maybe not worth it if you are only planning to keep the vehicle for a few more years.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
mrmichaelscott wrote: I have a Honda Pilot 2006 model with 145000 km and it is leaking oil. The dealership diagnosed it as rear main seal leak and oil pump leak , oil pan leak and right driveshaft and they quoted about $7000.

My Yelp searches have been fruitless as most car service shops on Yelp do not do this kind of work. Can you recommend me a mechanic that can handle this kind of work ? I am also looking to get the timing belt and new water pump while the car is in the shop.
Take it somewhere else for another opinion like igarage

The dealership service advisors are paid on bonus / commission for an extra work they can sell you on. Some service advisors are even on 100% commission. They maybe inflating a relatively minor issue into an $$$$ urgent repair just so they can hit their monthly sales quota (= $$$$ sales bonus)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.4300557
Oct 9, 2019
15 posts
22 upvotes
Take it somewhere else for another opinion like igarage
Absolutely. I can't believe everything would break at once. I did speak with Igarage and their quote seems affrdable. Here is to another 50k km.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
mrmichaelscott wrote: I have a Honda Pilot 2006 model with 145000 km and it is leaking oil. The dealership diagnosed it as rear main seal leak and oil pump leak , oil pan leak and right driveshaft and they quoted about $7000.

Jimmy from Street Performance is good. He's honest with his recommendations and will tell you if something can wait or not. His shop is right beside his old partner's shop. I think Jimmy's old partner is Richard (can't remember if that's the right name or not). Jimmy is on the south side of the building (filled with mechanics). I think he's the 3rd door from the East side of the building (3rd from the right if you're looking North at the building). Richard would be 2nd door from the East side of the building (if I'm wrong about the doors then Jimmy should be the 4th door and Richard should be the 3rd door).

905-943-9449
7605 Woodbine Ave
Markham
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
mrmichaelscott wrote: Absolutely. I can't believe everything would break at once. I did speak with Igarage and their quote seems affrdable. Here is to another 50k km.
Old car problems... 2006 isn't even that old.

Cars don't like to sit.

The cheapest car is the one you're already in. Hopefully you can get a good and affordable quote from an independent shop. iGarage is a good recommendation. Keep that vehicle going.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6370 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
How bad is the leak that you can't top it off once a week with motomaster oil $12/5L?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
The 2 shops I deal with,

http://evolutionracing.ca
&
https://www.1conceptautoinc.com

They work on everything and I know for a fact the main mechanic at EvolutionRacing is a Honda guy, have known him for many years.

Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
622 upvotes
ATP AT-205 Re-Seal but it's sold out just about everywhere.

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL $7000. Tell them to just put in a new engine while they're at it. Is the vehicle even worth that?
No. That's what I said in the post #5. Not worth the expensive repair.
Best to try a temporary solution....to get a few more years out of the vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
I don't think I saw anywhere where you state how much it's leaking or perhaps better, how much oil and how often do you have to add? Realistically, as others have touched on, if it's not a big oil leak then, well, oil is cheap. Just keep adding it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)